Builds TURBO KIT INSTALL 96 LX450 CXRACING and CUSTOM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mario65

GOLD Star
Threads
Plan is to run on stock ECU 7-10 PSI safely.

Preinstall:
1. Tranny fluid change with transgo shift kit $378.25 installed
2. Step colder plugs ?
3. Walbro 450 FP $104.89
4. Ordered Innovate SCG-1 boost gauge and controller with wideband $310.86
5. Bought Precision 5858 DBB from friend with little use for $600.00
6. Bought correct T4 4bolt exhaust housing $180.00
7. Bought 3.5LB spring for wastegate.
7. Had all cold side pipes powder coated black, intercooler cerakoted black, and hot side parts ceramic coated black. $500
8. Paying a friend with a shop do install $500.00

Kit: CXracing hot side kit minus downpipe, CXracing cold side kit for ARB bumper.
1. Ordered CXracing kits with discount minus Turbo and DP for $1433.00
2. Custom 3" turbo back stainless exhaust with high flow cat and quite muffler. quoted $350

Status: Need 2 silicone hoses to make the kit fit better with my turbo. Then install SCG-1. Then take it to the exhaust shop for the custom exhaust. Exhaust shop will fab pipe from turbo to OEM air cleaner.

CXRAcing kit does fit rather nice and looks great black. The lower coolant line they send is useless along with the 90 degree silicone. Original hose and pipe works great to hold the intercooler piping away from the compressor.

A FEW PICS attached

IMG_5395.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5915.jpg

IMG_4304.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see another turbo attempt! I would watch that size turbo and going lean in closed loop.

With any used turbo, you might want to check balance and turbo shaft end play before your first start.

Also if you plan on doing any actual offroading I would have a custom pipe made-up to replace the intercooler when/if it gets punctured so you could just pull the intercooler put the pipe in place and carry on.

Not sure if you have some connections but some of those prices do not look like what most people would pay.
$300 for trans service and transgo shift kit install is a great deal.
$350 for a custom stainless steel turbo back exhaust is another crazy cheap deal. Usually a stainless exhaust with cat and mufflers is 4x that.

Last edited:
Could we see more pics of your intercooler set up?

Thanks!

Thanks and I’m a couple days from more pics and probably a week from driving it.
I definitely will get the info for you. Thanks for the compliments.

How come you didn’t use their turbo and how does their exhaust manifold look and fit?

I love the manifold look and fit. I have had lots of turbo cars and chinese turbos are not going on my car. Truth be told 10 psi on a chinese turbo should hold up well. Theres nothing a like DBB Precision for spool and longevity.

Sweet project, looks good!

Good job replacing the paperweight (err... turbo). Never liked the CX intercooler position, but if you're not poking any holes in your truck, it's about the best you can do I guess. I'd think about louvers and a fan to direct more air through it. @Cruzilla just did something like this with his A/W intercooler (puller fan on top):

20190331_091748-jpg.1942732

Not sure 10psi with the stock computer/fuel setup will yield safe afr's (mine was spot on at 6psi), but only one way to find out I guess!

Yeah and yours was 6psi with a bigger turbo. a 58mm turbo is going to spool much quicker. I know with my 57.8mm turbo I could not run stock fueling.

Good job replacing the paperweight (err... turbo). Never liked the CX intercooler position, but if you're not poking any holes in your truck, it's about the best you can do I guess. I'd think about louvers and a fan to direct more air through it. @Cruzilla just did something like this with his A/W intercooler (puller fan on top):

Not sure 10psi with the stock computer/fuel setup will yield safe afr's (mine was spot on at 6psi), but only one way to find out I guess!

Problem of having IC low isn’t just damage, pavement and desert floor are really hot so the IC might not Uriel much cooling.

Was thinking, with a a/w you could run one on a hood louver, with a fan drawing air from the top of the hood. Or run one in front of the core support.

Id just run meth. Simple, tunable, tight packaging, cheap to run(300-500 initial) and adaptable for different fuel grades. Get a progressive unit, hslf gallon tank, use 30% methanol windshield washer fluid and a small nozzle. Just don’t run it on empty or tune to the ragged edge without watching it. But at 6psi, you need very little meth and could run 87 still.

Time for someone to develop an "intercooler light bar" that goes right above the windshield. If people are ok with snorkels sticking way out imagine how cool this would look.
LMAO i can image the dropped pressure with the added length of the piping...

LMAO i can image the dropped pressure with the added length of the piping...

I'm sure it would drop some but even if you lose a bit of boost the turbo could make up for it..... heck there are rear turbo kits out there now. If the chinese snorkel can prevent body damage from a rollover imagine what a intercooler lightbar could do.

Add the "intercooler" badge from an old Volvo 740. Man this idea keeps getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom