FiTech/Sniper Distributor ??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Downey

SILVER Star
Threads
What distributor are guys using with the FiTech and/or Holley Sniper fuel injection conversions, I'm getting different stories ?????

I used the HyperSpark (Holley) with my Sniper install. After many attempts trying to make the GM HEI work with (first MegaSquirt) and several distributors, the HyperSpark just worked. Seriously PLUG and PLAY rather than Plug & Pray.

I was running a stock dizzy fine with my Sniper and now have recurved tuned Dizzy and it runs even better!

Stock Dizzy with a stock 69 F engine runs good
JP

I bought a cheap dizzy from Amazon to go with my sniper kit.
Runs like a top!!!
A-Team Performance Straight 6 41-62 194 216 235 68-87 Compatible With Early Chevrolet Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 2F 3F 65K COIL HEI Complete Distributor Black Cap 1-Wire Instillation Amazon product ASIN B073WN46BV
I had to put a small dent in the side cover, but after that it went right in.

@thecrazygreek is it a generic GM design or did you specify Toyota? There is supposed to be a difference in engagement of the gear and/or oil pump between GM and Toyota.

Tell us what ya done???
[/QUOTE

As far as what I did....I packed my dizzy in a box sent it to @FJ40Jim and waited!!!! Then played with timing some when I installed it and landed around 11-12 degrees.

@thecrazygreek is it a generic GM design or did you specify Toyota? There is supposed to be a difference in engagement of the gear and/or oil pump between GM and Toyota.

I didn't specify...

But it fits properly and engages the oil pump properly. Looking at it side by side with the OEM dizzy it seems to be a match as far as the lower portion going into the engine.

I don't know how long it will last, but so far it is working great. And I'm driving it pretty much daily.

Crazy Greek, problem is if you have a GM drive gear on the dizzy, it has the same number of teeth, and they are the same distance apart, BUT they are on a different phase angle, sooooo the dizzy is always trying to kick up out of the engine, the clamp has to hold it down. Back in the day guys who were running the MAF Delco dizzy with GM drive gear were burning up engines because the drive gear would let the engine run even though the tip of the dizzy shaft was not engaged enough to drive the oil pump.

@thecrazygreek was you able to have the sniper unit control the timing with that dizzy?
JP

No timing control...

As far as kicking out if the engine, I've had the clamp loose and it doesn't seem to want to pop out. Plus I always keep a side eye on my oil pressure...

HEI

Crazy Greek, problem is if you have a GM drive gear on the dizzy, it has the same number of teeth, and they are the same distance apart, BUT they are on a different phase angle, sooooo the dizzy is always trying to kick up out of the engine, the clamp has to hold it down. Back in the day guys who were running the MAF Delco dizzy with GM drive gear were burning up engines because the drive gear would let the engine run even though the tip of the dizzy shaft was not engaged enough to drive the oil pump.

Jim,
What I found with two occurrences was that the distributor shaft would pull downward, destroying the cheap bronze bushing under the main shaft, the pole plate gets sucked into the pickup coil and turns it into a rat's nest of ultra fine copper wire. The motor just dies and when you lift the cap it looks like someone set an M-80 off inside the dizzy. The copper wire looked like Phyllis Diller's hairdo. Neither lasted over 17,000 miles. I haven't used another in ten years...maybe they've got better with the gear cut.

Jim,
What I found with two occurrences was that the distributor shaft would pull downward, destroying the cheap bronze bushing under the main shaft, the pole plate gets sucked into the pickup coil and turns it into a rat's nest of ultra fine copper wire. The motor just dies and when you lift the cap it looks like someone set an M-80 off inside the dizzy. The copper wire looked like Phyllis Diller's hairdo. Neither lasted over 17,000 miles. I haven't used another in ten years...maybe they've got better with the gear cut.
Not quite what we saw happening, what we saw happening is the dizzy being kicked upward, where the drive gear was still in contact with the cam (and the engine still running), but the botton tip of the dizzy shaft no longer engaged down into the oil pump. Since the dizzy hold-down clamps were hammered, MAF came out with a heavier duty hold down clamp rather than to install a Toyota drive gear onto the Delco??? Additionally, the Delco drive gears were worn down to tin foil.

Not quite what we saw happening, what we saw happening is the dizzy being kicked upward, where the drive gear was still in contact with the cam (and the engine still running), but the botton tip of the dizzy shaft no longer engaged down into the oil pump. Since the dizzy hold-down clamps were hammered, MAF came out with a heavier duty hold down clamp rather than to install a Toyota drive gear onto the Delco??? Additionally, the Delco drive gears were worn down to tin foil.

Ours were definitely pulling downward. The rotor plate was pulling into the pickup coil, throwing copper winding everywhere. I
pulled them apart comparing them to an old GM HEI from the mid 70s. The thrust bushing in the GM unit that the shaft rides on
preventing this was sintered iron. The Chinese knock off was softer bronze I could pick at with a screwdriver. The thrust surfaces
wore down quickly until the gap between the rotor plate and coils disappeared. This did not happen with Davis Unified Ignition's
unit but I did have the weights come off resulting in a bent main shaft. OEM HEI units secured the weights with e-clips.
The Davis unit did not have clips although the groves were cut in the weight posts to accept the clip. When I called Davis
they said that they determined the clips were unnecessary. Al at Manafre sent me a new main shaft . I rebuilt the DUI and added
the clips. You can find them with the weight clip/spring set that you find at a Oreilly or Autozone in their performance sections.
I believe they are Spectre products. I haven't checked a Davis in ten years but if I run across one I would certainly look to see
if the clips were installed

Ours were definitely pulling downward. The rotor plate was pulling into the pickup coil, throwing copper winding everywhere. I
pulled them apart comparing them to an old GM HEI from the mid 70s. The thrust bushing in the GM unit that the shaft rides on
preventing this was sintered iron. The Chinese knock off was softer bronze I could pick at with a screwdriver. The thrust surfaces
wore down quickly until the gap between the rotor plate and coils disappeared. This did not happen with Davis Unified Ignition's
unit but I did have the weights come off resulting in a bent main shaft. OEM HEI units secured the weights with e-clips.
The Davis unit did not have clips although the groves were cut in the weight posts to accept the clip. When I called Davis
they said that they determined the clips were unnecessary. Al at Manafre sent me a new main shaft . I rebuilt the DUI and added
the clips. You can find them with the weight clip/spring set that you find at a Oreilly or Autozone in their performance sections.
I believe they are Spectre products. I haven't checked a Davis in ten years but if I run across one I would certainly look to see
if the clips were installed

Well, my Davis DUI (Toyota model) was purchased July 2017. I will check for clips in the morning.

Are these the clips in question?

DUI clips 03.jpg

DUI clips 01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom