Photographers Rig- Solar Panels and Goal Zero (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally completed a solar panel installation on my new Gamaviti Roof Rack. Im using the panels to charge my Goal Zero 1400 Lithium generator. Combined with a 12v charging cable attached to the FJ40's battery, the 1400 stays mostly charged under normal use, and can supply 2-3 days of power when in remote locations. Im using the Goal Zero to power my Macbook Pro for editing, charging multiple cameras batteries, iPhone and iPads, powering LED lights and a small Dometic fridge to hold film stock and food, etc. The 100w Panel provides about 60w in real power under best conditions...but this is limited, so I backed it up with a 12v charging cable connected to the FJ40 which only charges while driving. I'll probably add another 100w panel soon.

The Gamaviti roof rack is perfect for my applications, I have plenty of room up front for several Front Runner Wolf Pack storage boxes and a large Pelican case, and still have room to spare in the rear of the rack. I plan on eventually moving the panels to under the rack with a slide out rail system that allows me to also tilt the panels and take advantage of maximum charging. Its still a work in progress, but she is now ready to hit the road for her first assignment and trial by fire.

L1030723.jpg

L1030907.jpg

L1030866.jpg

Last edited:
I finally completed my solar panel installation on my new Gamaviti Roof Rack. Im using the panels to charge my Goal Zero 1400 Lithium generator. Combined with a 12v charging cable attached to FJ40 battery, the 1400 stays mostly charged under normal use, and can supply 2-3 days of power when in remote locations. Im using the Goal Zero to power my Macbook Pro for editing, charging multiple cameras batteries, iPhone and iPads, powering LED lights and a small Dometic fridge to hold film stock and food, etc. The 100w Panel provides about 60w in real power under best conditions...but this is limited, so I backed it up with a 12v charging cable connected to the FJ40, that only charges while driving. I'll probably add another 100w panel soon.

The Gamaviti roof rack is perfect for my applications, I have plenty of room up front for several Front Runner Wolf Pack storage boxes and a large Pelican case, and still have room to spare in the rear of the rack. I plan on eventually moving the panels to under the rack with a slide out rail system that allows me to also tilt the panels to take advantage of maximum charging. Its still a work in progress, but she is now ready to hit the road for her first assignment and trial by fire.

L1030723.jpg

L1030907.jpg

L1030866.jpg

Sweet setup!!

Hahaha! That commercial came to mind for me too! I doubt it though because AutaviaFJ40's rig has fender flares. Very cool setup, I dig self sufficiency with a touch of green!

That is really nice! And funny you also have a "Keep Tahoe Blue" sticker on your cruiser too - despite being very far from Tahoe... :)

Ha...I grew up in Lake Tahoe, so its home.

Nice FJ40. You didn't happen to be a photographer in a Hankook Tire commercial that had a Dune Beige FJ40 did you?

Now that’s pretty cool...but not me. I’m a filmmaker not a photographer. Same idea, just not as glamorous :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom