ELocker Rear Axle Swap-Axle ordered today! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a 1998 LX470 that I just gone done doing a TON of work on, and it seems cross fingers all is well. So, I've been going back and forth on a locker. Many will say "get a bumper and winch first", but I found an elocker from a 1999 LC for $350, another $150 for shipping to the dealership I work at, should be here middle of next week. Now, I'm in no race to get this done, I just wanted to scoop this up before they became too rare/expensive. I'm assuming I should bench test the actuator?? I did search, but didn't see what I was looking for. Also, what do I need besides switch, circuit board from slee, and I'm assuming harness connectors to fabricate the wiring harness, bearing kit, fluid, ...? I'm sure I'll be chastised for not buying an ARB, but I like the fact that it will all look factory.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!

@savirc has swapped an e-locked rear axle into his 2000. He documented it on his build thread too.

I've got my axle and will start cleaning it up after my kitchen remodel is done (if there's any money left!!). This got me thinking, sometimes they truss axles, especially on Jeeps. Is there any need/benefit to putting a truss on a 100 series rear axle?

I've got my axle and will start cleaning it up after my kitchen remodel is done (if there's any money left!!). This got me thinking, sometimes they truss axles, especially on Jeeps. Is there any need/benefit to putting a truss on a 100 series rear axle?

I can only think of two reasons for trussing an axle.
1) to strengthen it from bending when using bigger heavier tires, heavier truck or bouncing/jumping a truck.
2) to provide a good location for the UCA/links of a triangulated four-link.

I’ve never heard of an axle bending. Not that it can’t happen but it seems most here are not driving their vehicles like rock-bouncers. Even the 100’s w/ gigantic tires on the arctic trucks and Russian rigs seem to hold up because they drive them reasonably slow not like monster trucks.

Unfortunately, I think the gas tank is in the way to doing a triangulated four-link. I’m not aware of anyone doing one on a 100 rear axle.

Unless you were trying to build a desert racer (which the front suspension sucks much worse than the rear so majority of limitation of a good desert SUV is from the front) then I wouldn’t try to truss it.

I do like some of the U-joint skids that get welded on underneath the third member but I’ve never seen this on a 100 either. That’d be cool if you were going to play in the rocks a bunch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom