Roofnest Sparrow Eye Hardshell Tent Impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
Today I picked up my new Roofnest Sparrow Eye in black. Sparrow Eye Roof Top Tent - 82" x 46" - Sleeps 2 | Roofnest

The struts are weighted perfectly - the first opening was a gentle nudge and it effortlessly lifted up. Purchasing sight unseen is always worrying but first impressions is that its made well and great quality.

After researching hard shell tents for what seems like forever I selected the Sparrow Eye. I wanted a tent that was lightweight (120 LBS), configured as a wedge for ease of opening and packing, and suitable for just me. My wife loves the Hannibal on the m101 as it's close to the ground and it’s a large unit. Without the constraint to sleep two, the one I selected is more narrow than most at just 46 inches wide and 82 inches long. It will still sleep two though. That dimension is well within the footprint of my 80's roof rack and the sides of the tent won't be hanging over catching trees

I’m pretty excited not having to pop up the 0ztent daily - it takes up some time to set up and load and unload and is more suited to a few days camping in the same location. I'm also glad I'm not dragging the trailer, or sleeping in the back. All decent options for a trip depending on length and company but my next Utah trip will see a bunch of daily moves and long days behind the wheel so this will be deluxe for me.

Links that helped in my decision making.

8 Hardshell Roof Top Tents That Will Soften Your Senses This 2018

Buyer’s Guide: Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

There are a number of YouTube Roofnest reviews covering their whole range.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Autohome Columbus Variant as it enjoys a great reputation and is affordable compared to others. I really hadn’t yet found Roofnest and in comparison the Variant costs more than the Sparrow Eye, especially for black and all accessories like the condensation mat also cost extra. The Baroud is too costly and is made out of fiberglass which can crack. However they do sell some larger tents that you can throw a spare tire on. A little too big for me and I can't afford $6,000 after exchange and shipping for a tent. The Roofnest is an ABS fiberglass composite which is tougher that straight fiberglass though. Shipping something this large had me worried and was something I kept calculating cost for when I was looking at various models. Roofnest charges a flat fee!

The tent came with the anti-condensation mat, extra gas strut, extra metal awning door tensioners, led lantern, sand mat for the base of the ladder, install hardware, and a nice, thick high density foam mattress. Packaging was fab, and the crate was on a pallet. I had two small punctures on the side of the crate but luckily they were on the bottom side of the tent floor. I have two very small scratches that will never be seen and were largely prevented as the tent is shipped with a removable plastic film which took the brunt of the scraping. It shipped from LA to Oroville, WA in 4 days and I got updates several times a day.

Those upside down arrows had me worried - came that way strapped to the pallet.

Condensation mat is two layers thick:

Appear to be stainless:

I spoke with the owner Tim before I purchased and he was great with my questions and he knows BC coming here to ski with family. He tried to connect me with another purchaser in Kamloops so I could save on shipping and at time of purchase offered me a coupon. Great group of staff to purchase from and customer service is excellent.

The tent is light enough that my neighbour lady, my wife and I easily unloaded it from the trailer. That will be the last time it will be picked up by hand. I purchased a hoist and will store the tent hanging from my ceiling.

Most cost effective Canadian price I could find was fromHarken 4-Point Hoist 200lb - Marine Outfitters - Ontario Canada . I’ve purchased from them before and service is also excellent.

I missed two used hard shell tents on Craigslist as they go super quick. Nice to get something new though and the used ones were bigger and cost the same as my purchase. One was an Autohome and the other a Maggiolina.

I'm off to Utah for the first half of May and will update this thread with my impressions when I get back.

Last edited:
I’m pretty excited not having to pop up the 0ztent daily - it takes up some time to set up and load and unload and is more suited to a few days camping in the same location.

Great - NOW what am I supposed to do for camp entertainment instead of sitting around watching you assemble that big Oztent?! :hillbilly:

Tent looks great - I really like the weight AND the price. Look forward to checking it out in person soon.

The Oztent is a two minute stand up, plus the fly, plus the groundsheet, plus the awning, plus the carry bag unload and load and tie down. Its about 20 minutes which isn't a big deal. Then you add your mattress or cot and bag and now your at 1/2 hour or a bit more. So about an hour each time we set up and take down camp.

It just isn't the same as as a pop up and pull down and tuck. About five minutes

Tent cost $2,495

You will love the convenience and comfort, especially after a long tiring on the trail. No looking back now...

Like the size on this and looking forward to checking it out soon.

Oztent is great and if parked somewhere for a couple days the setup and takedown is just part of it. I would like to get one again at some point, but would go for one size up: the RV3.

gb

@gofast any update on the tent?

@krice118

Krice,

All in all very happy with the purchase. I have 26 nights in the tent now and it has seen intense rain, high wind, high temp and snow. The five minute set up and take down and the comfortable sleep is well worth the price of purchase. One of the best upgrades I've made to the vehicle

Couple of things that would make it better. - Venting and another door under the main "awning" door .

I'm forced to close up the awning if I want to keep the heat in. It would be nice to have both awning and door

Condensation is a problem when its raining outside or frosty - just like all fabric tents. I've added a stainless solar powered fan very similar to the Baroud RTT's but I haven't had a chance to use it yet as I installed it when I put it away for the winter.

I'm going to purchase the cold weather insulator kit. I think it will help by creating an air barrier and cut down condensation - maybe I should just camp on sunny days.:)

20190511_072401.jpg

20190512_135811.jpg

20190512_183319.jpg
20190914_184300.jpg

20190913_170409.jpg

I have the hardshell version of this tent the roofnest falcon and not impressed with the quality or company
consider the go fast camper locally made in lower 48
as well as several other options

I use a Gazelle T4 now...I'm really liking the Roofnests though. My biggest hurdle is trying to figure out how to get my 60lb shepherd/husky up that ladder, LOL. He's smart and would probably make it up the ladder if it were angled far enough out, but going back down....hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom