New Member in Boise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all! I"m relatively new to Boise -- my wife and I moved here around 18 months ago from Seattle. I just purchased a 1-owner '01 LX 470 w/ 110,000 miles. I'm flying to Seattle on Thursday to pick it up and drive it back. I've always been a Toyota lover (owned a '12 Tacoma and a '16 4Runner -- both stock). But, this is my first 100, and I'm super excited about it. I am not (yet) mechanically inclined, but am looking forward to learning on this truck. We will be using this as our family trip vehicle (my wife and I have four dogs) and mountain adventure vehicle. I will probably occasionally drive it to work because...well...because it's awesome. Looking forward to doing some light off-roading eventually too -- who knows how deep I'll get into that once I get started!

The wheels are aftermarket, not my style, and pretty beat up...and apparently the current tires are 14-years old and cracked. So, the first order of business will be getting new wheels and tires before the drive back. Looking at SCS F5's (16x8) or Ray 10's (18x9), Method 701's (17x8.5) or Roosts (18x9). If I had the stock 16's, I would probably keep them (and paint them). As far as tires go, I really like the K02's. I love the looks of MT tires, but I'm not sure they're smart for all the paved use this truck will get. As soon as I get back to Boise (I live in Warm Springs Mesa), I will be pulling off the running boards.

I look forward to meeting the folks here locally. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated. If any of you are wrench-capable, and are interested in passing along some knowledge, I'm a willing, fast, and capable learner. Plus, I'm always good to help out with any projects that needs an extra set of hands.

Pics to follow! Stay tuned...

Welcome aboard!
First thing I would suggest is not to go over a 17 inch wheel if you plan on airing down (and you should) for off road/snow.
You need some sidewall on your tires to protect the rim and give the tires room to conform to the road.
I feel that a 16x8 is an ideal wheel size, I bought my 17's before I knew better.. yes even after 25+ years of offroad wheeling... you can learn something..LOL! I'm also running a 315 (34.5 inch) tire so I have more sidewall to squish!
I use BFG KO2 on a 16 inch rim and Goodyear Duratrack's on a 17 inch, these tires give the best wear and traction in my opinion. Duratracks have more traction and a softer ride but with a softer sidewall and can be cut by rocks much more easily.
The BFG's have a firmer ride, much thicker sidewall and more sidewall protection these will wear longer but have a harder compound with a bit less traction in wet conditions..
Its all a trade off...

This guy knows his stuff.. watch and learn!

MY HISTORY WITH BFGOODRICH TIRES / 4xOverland / Andrew St Pierre White

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!
First thing I would suggest is not to go over a 17 inch wheel if you plan on airing down (and you should) for off road/snow.
You need some sidewall on your tires to protect the rim and give the tires room to conform to the road.
I feel that a 16x8 is an ideal wheel size, I bought my 17's before I knew better.. yes even after 25+ years of offroad wheeling... you can learn something..LOL! I'm also running a 315 (34.5 inch) tire so I have more sidewall to squish!
I use BFG KO2 on a 16 inch rim and Goodyear Duratrack's on a 17 inch, these tires give the best wear and traction in my opinion. Duratracks have more traction and a softer ride but with a softer sidewall and can be cut by rocks much more easily.
The BFG's have a firmer ride, much thicker sidewall and more sidewall protection these will wear longer but have a harder compound with a bit less traction in wet conditions..
Its all a trade off...

This guy knows his stuff.. watch and learn!

MY HISTORY WITH BFGOODRICH TIRES / 4xOverland / Andrew St Pierre White

Loved the vids! I went down a Youtube rabbit hole with his stuff.

Thanks for the info and the advice as well. I've been pouring through the forums, and have a bit of paralysis by analysis. I wish I had more time to order exactly what I want (in terms of wheels). Unfortunately, I have about a 48 hour window once I get to Seattle to get the wheels and tires purchased, installed, aligned...blah blah blah. Regardless, I look forward to getting started.

Tires and wheels are most often overlooked.. very important as that is what holds you to the surface you are wheeling on!!

I find that out tomorrow. I'm hoping that it has 16's or 17's.....but, the previous owners used this car for kiddos and dog transport, and I think they have 15 year old chrome Antera wheels on it. So, most likely, we're looking at 20's (gross).

Hey, brotha! Thanks for following up. I hated the original wheels and tires so much, I couldn't bring myself to take any pics. I just got the new wheels and tires this Saturday. I went with the Stealth Custom Series F5's and the KO2's in 275/85/16. Dealing with a bit of rubbing, but I haven't done any trimming yet. Besides some new brake pads and some rack and pinion work, this thing is in great shape. It's a great foundation to transform into my dream truck.

The mods that I want to do that my wife is fully on board for:

-- More substantial headlights (these things SUCK)
-- Backup Camera
-- Bluetooth/stereo/nav
-- get rid of the rear mud flaps
-- figure out what I need to do to get my spare tire mounted under the car (apparently it doesn't fit)

The mods that I want to do that my wife is being a big grouch about:

-- New front and rear bumpers
-- get rid of the ridiculous running boards

I'm always open to suggestions!

First - baseline everything that needs it.

Then, altitude, my friend. Lift kit first. Sliders will replace the running boards so you wife will be happy. E locker in the rear if not equipped. Winch bumper. etc, etc, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom