Transmissions: a442 vs a343 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I’ve been trying to figure out which one is better.
Typically when a manufacturer changes its for the better but some swear by the heavy duty a442 claiming it’s indestructible and therefore the better of the two. Then I’ve heard the 343 argument that it is lighter and robs less power from the 4.5 and is therefore smoother with a much better throttle response.

What say ye, fellow mudderz?

The A343 seems to live behind a turbo'd 1FZ with just a cheap shift kit. The A442 needs an expensive valve body and more clutches and frictions added and it still doesn't seem to last behind turbo'd 1FZFE's over 12-15psi.

So I’ve been trying to figure out which one is better.
Typically when a manufacturer changes its for the better but some swear by the heavy duty a442 claiming it’s indestructible and therefore the better of the two. Then I’ve heard the 343 argument that it is lighter and robs less power from the 4.5 and is therefore smoother with a much better throttle response.

What say ye, fellow mudderz?

Last edited:
The A343 seems to live behind a turbo'd 1FZ with just a cheap shift kit. The A442 needs an expensive valve body and more clutches and frictions added and it still doesn't seem to last behind turbo'd 1FZFE's over 12-15psi.
I have a strong suspicion that the valve body available for the 442 is just a shift kit you have to pay someone else to install.

Yep, I have been saying that for years. The A343 shift kit is $130. The A442 "valve body" is $1200.

I have a strong suspicion that the valve body available for the 442 is just a shift kit you have to pay someone else to install.

Very few, if any, are blowing up the 343 very often, so what rates the 442 as bullet proof? parts availability is getting harder on the 442 due to age and very few applications. the 34x has been used in a number of different Toyotas, and even some Jeeps. Lots of parts available because so many have been sold.

They AW450 medium duty shares most of its internals with the A4xx series and is/was used up until recently so parts aren’t really an issue, and is without a question tougher than a 4Runner tranny cousin. Toyota used the A442 In the rest of the world after the A343 was introduced here. Only place similar trannies to the A343 were used was lighter duty stuff. I wouldn’t rule out the A442 for longevity.

Bottom line is I’d take an A440, A442, or A343 without complaint, and not be worried about longevity. I’ll be interested to see how my eventual rig turns out compared to @coog ’s. Mine will be 4bd2t-A440-HF2AV and his will be 4be1-A343-HF2AV. I think he’ll have a bit better economy (more efficient engine and tranny) and I think longevity will be a wash if not a bit toward me.

The $1200 modded throttle body is over priced, I am sure it can be done by yourself

Most people, myself included, don't have the knowledge needed to start enlarging holes and replacing springs in a valvebody.

Automatic transmissions are black magic. All you have to do is look at the collection of bolts to attach the valve body.

It's easier to let the smoke out of an automatic transmission than a Lucas wiring harness.....:doh:
Screenshot_2019-03-16 35-12 VALVE BODY OIL STRAINER (ATM) diagram, 1993 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER.png

It's easier to let the smoke ot of an automatic transmission than a Lucas wiring harness.....:doh:

At least you can get replacement for that!
Smokekit2.jpg

If a luddite like me can figure it out I think most people could. It took me about 4 hours since it was the first time, the second time I think I could do it in 2hrs.

20130921_143440-jpg.808928

20130921_143432-jpg.808933

Automatic transmissions are black magic. All you have to do is look at the collection of bolts to attach the valve body.

It's easier to let the smoke out of an automatic transmission than a Lucas wiring harness.....:doh:View attachment 1928744

IIRC, the 343 is literally a transit bus transmission, meant to be used all day every day under massive load; should be indestructible for our purposes.

well...over here A442F came behind 1HD-T engines...and those engines (here) came in 100 series as well...A343F came behind gasoline 80s say LX450 and Land Cruisers...so...about longevity I have no clue, but mine has been behind my 1HD-T since birth in 1995 (now need to do a rebuilt) about the shift kit or throttle kit or valve body mod, I don't know a thing...I have been playing with the idea of having an A750F behind my 80 now...I know it can be done...it is just money that keeps me from doing it

I have been playing with the idea of having an A750F behind my 80 now...I know it can be done...it is just money that keeps me from doing it

Like on a trailer? What good would that do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom