Rear Brake & Parking Brake Guts Help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you referring to the disc brake rubbing or the parking brake shoes? The rear rotor is secured by the lug nuts and If you don't have those tight that could cause drag. Until you have all the bolts torqued and lugs tighten your just guessing.
That said disc brakes rely upon the rotation of the rotor and a slight amount of runout to separate the pads from the rotor. If the slide pins are sticking one pad can release and the other drag. That is why I suggested lubricating those. Bottom line disc brakes will always drag a small amount but not enough so they can't be turned. I would suggest road testing and then recheck.

Are you referring to the disc brake rubbing or the parking brake shoes? The rear rotor is secured by the lug nuts and If you don't have those tight that could cause drag. Until you have all the bolts torqued and lugs tighten your just guessing.
That said disc brakes rely upon the rotation of the rotor and a slight amount of runout to separate the pads from the rotor. If the slide pins are sticking one pad can release and the other drag. That is why I suggested lubricating those. Bottom line disc brakes will always drag a small amount but not enough so they can't be turned. I would suggest road testing and then recheck.
Thank you. I used to work engines, but the rest of it is pretty new to me.

Did you lube your caliper pins before putting them back in?
Nope didn’t have it on-hand. They did not come all the way out by a long shot, just barely out of the threads on one. What lube do you recommend for next time?

I personally use CRC Synthetic Caliper Grease.

Getting those caliper bolts out can be a chore when they've gone dry. One of the reasons they're not coming out is that there wasn't/isn't enough grease in the boot and slide bushing to begin with when they were last done. Whenever you replace the slide bushings and boots on the torque plate on the rear brake components, make sure to put a healthy amount of caliper grease in there, don't pack it but enough that there will some in there for the calipers to work with over time.

I personally use CRC Synthetic Caliper Grease.

Getting those caliper bolts out can be a chore when they've gone dry. One of the reasons they're not coming out is that there wasn't/isn't enough grease in the boot and slide bushing to begin with when they were last done. Whenever you replace the slide bushings and boots on the torque plate on the rear brake components, make sure to put a healthy amount of caliper grease in there, don't pack it but enough that there will some in there for the calipers to work with over time.
Oh they were very smooth both ways felt hydraulic. All new / reman brake components, a year or two back. Think I was just misaligning things putting assemblies back on. Thx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom