BJ 70 with a 3B engine is overflowing coolant reservoir (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello friends.

I'm having this problem in my Toyota 3b. I already replace the head with a rebuild one, new head gasket, flush the radiator, I did remove the thermostat and still happens the same, I already check all the hoses for a clogged hose or something but everything looks normal, and I'm out I ideas now, so ill appreciate any idea, advise or something that you guys can have and I will appreciate it a lot

After dealing with that symptom on 3 different trucks, I will say with 98% certainty that you have a blown head gasket. It's only about a 4-5 hour job to change it. Be sure to use a Toyota Multi-layer steel head gasket, you will never have a problem again. The original factory and aftermarket head gaskets are junk.

After dealing with that symptom on 3 different trucks, I will say with 98% certainty that you have a blown head gasket. It's only about a 4-5 hour job to change it. Be sure to use a Toyota Multi-layer steel head gasket, you will never have a problem again. The original factory and aftermarket head gaskets are junk.
Thank you, but yes i bought a new head, and i did install this same OEM Toyota multi-layer steel head gasket, but still happens the same...

Does it overheat as soon as you hit the freeway or does the guage start climbing as soon as you start it?
From memory these have a dual pass radiator that sometimes collapse inside. A flush wouldnt make a difference. Becuase both hoses are on one side, the coolant is supposed to flow from one side to the other and back again to get the full cooling effect. When they collapse, the coolant is running down one side and straight to the outlet.
Its a generic pic , but you get the idea.

Did the 'rebuilt head' get thoroughly inspected for cracks? I had one that had cracks that were okay, (did not open up and let coolant out) until I put a turbo on it, once turbo'd, as soon as the engine got hot, they'd open up and coolant would overflow out the reservoir.

Does it overheat as soon as you hit the freeway or does the guage start climbing as soon as you start it?
From memory these have a dual pass radiator that sometimes collapse inside. A flush wouldnt make a difference. Becuase both hoses are on one side, the coolant is supposed to flow from one side to the other and back again to get the full cooling effect. When they collapse, the coolant is running down one side and straight to the outlet.

View attachment 1926278

roscoFJ73 Thank you, my friend. Yes, that makes a lot of sense because I've been touching the radiator on the side of the hoses gets hot, but the other side just gets a little warm. I just made the cylinder leak test and is perfect, no leaks so the theory of the radiator gets stronger. Can that cause the overflow in the coolant reservoir? And yes, the car starts to heat soon as I start the vehicle

Did the 'rebuilt head' get thoroughly inspected for cracks? I had one that had cracks that were okay, (did not open up and let coolant out) until I put a turbo on it, once turbo'd, as soon as the engine got hot, they'd open up and coolant would overflow out the reservoir.
Thank you Owyhee Jackass. I didn't check the new head for cracks but it can happen everything is possible, I just warm the engine and then I did the cylinder leak test, but everything looks normal. I'll post some pictures of the old head and the new one

In the first picture is the new head, the second one is the old one and the 3er picture is the radiator showing where gets hot and where gets just warm...

View attachment 1926278

This same issue happened to me yesterday. I've been doing research, because conventional knowledge says it's a blown head gasket - but if it's possible that the radiator is just toast, I'd rather replace that.

My temp gauge went about 75-80% of the way to red line. Under normal circumstances, it runs just below 50%.

There's no water in the oil, and no oil in the coolant. Coolant was repressured into the the reservoir. I pulled the thermostat today, put it in boiling water, and it opened up just fine, so the thermostat is good.

I flushed the engine, flushed the heater exchange, flushed the radiator, then filled it up by the hose. I'm waiting for the gasket to cure before I give it another go.

Tomorrow I'm going to get a diesel compression testing kit and hope for the best.

but if it's possible that the radiator is just toast, I'd rather replace that.

It will be a lot cheaper and less of a headache. Spray some water on the radiator, if its ok it should evaporate evenly. If its blocked or collapsed inside, you will have water hanging around on the cold sections while the hot sections will dry quick

It will be a lot cheaper and less of a headache. Spray some water on the radiator, if its ok it should evaporate evenly. If its blocked or collapsed inside, you will have water hanging around on the cold sections while the hot sections will dry quick

I'm starting to think mine is radiator related. After flushing yesterday, the engine is now running cooler. The radiator is definitely squealing as if there's a pressure differential and a leak. The left half is cooler than the right half after driving for 30 minutes.

What happened to yours, did you ever sort out the overheating?
Hey friend! Not Yet, I'm still waiting for the new radiator, because here in Costa Rica, that dual pass radiator of the two hoses in the same site, is really rare, so i found one in Japan, i just have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom