Switch to disable VSC (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen several posts at other forums to install a switch that disables VSC on 4 Runners. Its basically just breaking the circuit on one wire. Some were under the dash and some were at the brake MC. Anyone done this on a GX?

Yes it's been done. Slightly different pin but same principle.

I haven't done mine since I have not need it after I install my rear elocker. I think it's the bottom connector toward the floorboard it ECU side. @CO_Hunter might be able to point you to the right direction.

Yes I see it now in the thread. It will be easy enough to test the switch and flip connections. I don't have any single pole double throw switches in my electrical collection so I have to order one. I'm good at this kind of thing but its my least favorite part of any build. I'm getting ready to run 12 volts and plugs to the rear interior quarter panel as well and I hate pulling interior panels. Going to run my CB antenna cable then as well. A second battery is planned as well.

Glad you got it figured out. I really like having the ability to control when I want wheel spin vs ATRC, even with a rear locker.

Could someone explain why one would want a VSC off button?
It automatically goes off when locking the diff. Unless I’m missing something...

I think it's because it cuts engine power to stabilize and in some situations, you want to maintain momentum. I've never been in a situation where this was the case but others may give real examples.

I think it's because it cuts engine power to stabilize and in some situations, you want to maintain momentum. I've never been in a situation where this was the case but others may give real examples.
I understand but my question is, doesn’t locking the center diff disable traction control and allow as much wheel spin as you need?
I guess I should say I can’t see any real reason you want VSC off when not locked. Hope I don’t sound like a troll lol

I use 4lo + center lock in the worst of the worst low speed situations.
4hi + center lock on moderate to high speed slippery conditions like ice and snow.
4hi unlocked anywhere else - daily driving.

I understand but my question is, doesn’t locking the center diff disable traction control and allow as much wheel spin as you need?
I guess I should say I can’t see any real reason you want VSC off when not locked. Hope I don’t sound like a troll lol

I use 4lo + center lock in the worst of the worst low speed situations.
4hi + center lock on moderate to high speed slippery conditions like ice and snow.
4hi unlocked anywhere else - daily driving.

You want to turn w/o windup and keep momentum is the only reason I can think of to turn off VSC. Again, I am same as you I have never felt any need to disable VSC.

I need to install one. Leaving my neighborhood side street in winter there is often hard packed snow six feet in front of me. When accelerating from a stop to merge onto the highway the VSC kicks in when I hit that patch of snow. I know it is there and prepare for it but the VSC catches me almost everytime. And I don't want to engage the CDL for such a short moment. The highway gets busy as I am between town and the ski area. I prefer to have VSC off more than on.

My main motivation for the mod was malfunctioning VSC as others have had. Above is another good example of use. A side benefit of the mod I found is being able to disable ATRAC as I documented. Momentum and wheel spin can be your friends like trying to clear mud and snow from treads. They all have their place, meaning I like ATRAC in certain situations. The GX is relatively new to me and I have only had the chance to take in moderate snow conditions so far. Coming from a dual locked 80 is different. That’s why last weekend I went out in the deep snow, blasted drifts, got stuck and played with all the different driving options to see how they handled the situations. Then added chains for even more options. That's what I was getting at in my post in “ what did you do in your 120 today thread”. You can see the ATRAC working as I’m winching up the hill. I guess I’m a little geeky about this stuff.

Yes it's been done. Slightly different pin but same principle.

I installed this hack last night. Works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom