What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (70 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a great time wheeling with my new locker and winch (finally had to use it after the end of the video.) Also I found a gas leak when/while climbing a hill.

As reported above, went out to Anza Borrego with @Dan2722 , @bushdoctor, and a...ahem...Nissan. Always a good time!

Camped in a spot not accessible to the ~1.5 million suburbanites out looking for flowers
washshot.jpg

@bushdoctor had a friend bring some of these 80 KPH stickers from Kenya. They are meant to indicate the max speed of commercial/heavy vehicles. If you're behind my HDJ81 going up a long mountain pass, consider yourself warned.
80kph.jpg

@Dan2722 getting his flex on
danflex.jpg

Camera tilted slightly for that hard core off road effect (you're welcome, @bushdoctor )
berkyflex.jpg

Some pranksters put a sticker on my truck. That'll be fun to remove.
rimliquor.jpg

Even had a chance to take some drone footage. Exceedingly uninteresting video here for those interested.

As reported above, went out to Anza Borrego with @Dan2722 , @bushdoctor, and a...ahem...Nissan. Always a good time!

Camped in a spot not accessible to the ~1.5 million suburbanites out looking for flowers
washshot.jpg

@bushdoctor had a friend bring some of these 80 KPH stickers from Kenya. They are meant to indicate the max speed of commercial/heavy vehicles. If you're behind my HDJ81 going up a long mountain pass, consider yourself warned.
80kph.jpg

@Dan2722 getting his flex on
danflex.jpg

Camera tilted slightly for that hard core off road effect (you're welcome, @bushdoctor )
berkyflex.jpg

Some pranksters put a sticker on my truck. That'll be fun to remove.
rimliquor.jpg

Even had a chance to take some drone footage. Exceedingly uninteresting video here for those interested.

That is highly unfortunate that someone was a jack hole and did that. I think I have been up that finger of the trail you camped out at... quiet back there. Maybe meet up with your group of 80's for a run.

Tried to do TREs.
Soaked in acetone/ATF for a good week before attempting.
Relay rod was easy. Tie rod itself both ends are not coming out. Heated multiple times, reefed on with pipe wrenches and 250lb of dude jumping on them and nothing.
Gonna order Slee HD rods since they cost about the same as oem. Found Moogs on rockauto with good reviews for $88 for tie rod and drag link replacements with clamps.

Last edited:
Tried to do TREs.
Relay rod was easy. Tie rod itself both ends are not coming out. Heated multiple times, reefed on with pipe wrenches and 250lb of dude jumping on them and nothing.
Gonna order Slee HD rods since they cost about the same as oem.

View attachment 1924842View attachment 1924843

Try heating with a torch then spraying with PB blaster once its hot next time. Also try to tighten first then loosen.

I'm enjoying the photo montage that ends with a mud salute:flipoff2:!

Try heating with a torch then spraying with PB blaster once its hot next time. Also try to tighten first then loosen.

I'm enjoying the photo montage that ends with a mud salute:flipoff2:!

Heated both ends til HOT with MAP and then sprayed with ATF/acetone mix while hot. Still nothing. Tried the tighten before loosen trick.
Did everything i could.
Found new drag and tie rods (moog, supposed to be as good of quality as OEM) on rockauto this morning for $88 including clamps. Was gonna order Slee but no one would answer the phone :doh:. Figured it was worth the peace of mind after the amount of beating i did on that thing. But now the land cruiser is once more land stationary for a while.

Last edited:
Tried to do TREs.
Gonna order Slee HD rods since they cost about the same as oem. Found Moogs on rockauto with good reviews for $88 for tie rod and drag link replacements with clamps.

View attachment 1924842View attachment 1924843
i had the same issue, i ended up buying new set

It was a good weekend! I’ve owned my 91 FJ80 since September and have spent all time and effort (well almost) just trying to get her to run and drive the way she should... this Sunday I took the family out to Browns Camp and played in the snow! Even got to use my winch and pulled an F150 out!!

135185DB-BA7C-41BC-B541-635A1A35D2D4.jpeg

BACE889C-DC53-48B7-BE23-63E4E14B51CE.jpeg

And now for something completely different... anyone with a 3fe ever have your idle race? Run high that is? She comes down every now and again. I have checked for a vacuum leak and she’s tight. I did notice that the CSI when removed leaked under gravity so I am thinking that might be a part of the problem? I unplugged it and the idle stayed pretty high. I have inspected the ISC and it’s in great shape (19 Ohms across all contacts) I need to do a fuel pressure leak test and that might tell me more but that’s this upcoming weekend... just wondering if anyone has ever had this issue.

Towed the caravan to Esperance, Western Australia

Not this week, but this is what I have done ...
97 HDJ80
1HD-FT
Gturbo 26psi
PDI Front Mount Intercooler & Trans Cooler
Moonlight Fabrications Air box
Safari snorkel
Tuned pump 21:1 AFR
3in Taipan Exhaust
A442F Auto
Torque Converter Lock-up kit
Rear ARB difflock
270L fuel
2in lift
Koni 90 Raid Shocks
Whiteline H/D Rear Swaybar
airbags
285x75x16 Desert Duellers on ROH mags
MCC twin wheel rear bar
ARB roobar and side steps
Sahara headlights with Stedi LED globes
Light bars
ARB 3/4 roof rack or Full length R/R with Roof Top Tent
Awnings side and rear
2x uhf in roof console
EGT and Boost gauges in pillar pod
Trans temp gauge
Pioneer USB/Bluetooth stereo & sub
Rear Drawers
Cargo Barrier
Flip-Up Rear Windows
Engle Fridge
Voltage display
MSA Dropslide
XR6 Seats
Winch
Marks Adapters part time kit
SS brake lines and calliper pistons
RDA Extreme 100 series disk pads in front, 80 series rear
Electric trailer brake controller
LED interior lights
12v and USB sockets front, middle and rear
Dual batteries with Cole Hersee Master Disconnect Switch
Twin drink holder :)
Grandpa spec Sunvisor

Last edited:
It was a good weekend! I’ve owned my 91 FJ80 since September and have spent all time and effort (well almost) just trying to get her to run and drive the way she should... this Sunday I took the family out to Browns Camp and played in the snow! Even got to use my winch and pulled an F150 out!!

View attachment 1925321

View attachment 1925322
Don't stand next to recovery gear when in use and use a damper (a coat or jacket will save your windshield or FACE)!

And now for something completely different... anyone with a 3fe ever have your idle race? Run high that is? She comes down every now and again. I have checked for a vacuum leak and she’s tight. I did notice that the CSI when removed leaked under gravity so I am thinking that might be a part of the problem? I unplugged it and the idle stayed pretty high. I have inspected the ISC and it’s in great shape (19 Ohms across all contacts) I need to do a fuel pressure leak test and that might tell me more but that’s this upcoming weekend... just wondering if anyone has ever had this issue.
Recommend you posting this in the 3fe owner check-in thread.

I had ~2 weeks 700 trail miles planned for Death Valley that was cut short due to a failure on my travel partners rig.

Lost all the studs and two studs broke off but I had a couple new stud kits in my rarely seen repair parts to get it back to Scottsdale.

We were a little early with all the weather a lot of the good trails are still closed. Im going with everything happens for a reason and we plan to go back and finish in a couple weeks and hopefully all the trails will be open.

Did get to run Hole -in-the-wall

And Echo Canyon

Replaced the Monroe steering stabilizer with an OME SD24. The steering feels really good again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom