Diesel gas argument (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cost of entry is a large factor.
One of the reasons I chose an L92 over a 1HD-FT. The L92 has nearly 250% more hp and 120ftlb more torque in a motor that weighs significantly less. I'd venture to guess the difference in mpg from 1HD vs L92/LS3 in a swapped rig isn't very large if at all.
Longevity is up in the air.
Now if you're staying with Toyota products only, a stock 1FZ leaves much to be desired in all categories, in my opinion.

As a Canadian I still find it a bit shocking when my American counterparts talk about paying a 25% price premium for diesel. Diesel is typically the same price or a bit less than regular 87 AKI petrol in Canada. This makes the gas vs. diesel debate more difficult for the Canadian crowd to ponder as 20% fuel savings adds up quickly when the price per litre is the same or better. Factoring in all of the elements (fuel economy, conversion/import costs, fuel range needs, maintenance costs etc.) I found myself at a complete loss looking to purchase my first 80 series earlier this year.

In the end I put it down to ability to find an example in good condition, and the ability to purchase a LHD variant (I want to do the south half of the Pan-American, having completed the north half, and have heard RHD is becoming a big issue in central America). I was able to find an un-modified LX450 with new leather for the front row, 200k on the clock, and a clean body for $7500 CAD. I would have spent double for a bagged out RHD diesel from Japan that's been wheeled hard for its entire Canadian life.

When the 1FZ-FE kicks the bucket I'll have the 1HD-FT vs. LS debate with myself. I expect it to be one hell of a battle.

Here are some stats that I have collected since my diesel conversion
Gas averaged .21/mile while diesel averaged .17/mile. If diesel is any higher than 18-19% I am less efficient. Since November premium price for diesel in my area has averaged 29% higher than RUG. Prior to that it was around 13%. I think there have been four times in the past five years I have filled up where diesel was cheaper than RUG. All were outside of Texas.
Personally I don't care because I love diesel.

Cost of entry is a large factor.
One of the reasons I chose an L92 over a 1HD-FT. The L92 has nearly 250% more hp and 120ftlb more torque in a motor that weighs significantly less. I'd venture to guess the difference in mpg from 1HD vs L92/LS3 in a swapped rig isn't very large if at all.
Longevity is up in the air.
Now if you're staying with Toyota products only, a stock 1FZ leaves much to be desired in all categories, in my opinion.

As much as I love the LS motors (Did you delete DoD with the L92?) I highly doubt it gets near the gas mileage of even the stock 1HDT in the 80 series (my L92 in my Denali did horrible, granted it weighs a lot more than the LC80 and it was an earlier non DoD block). I've done L92/LS3/LSx swaps into lighter vehicles and they have done great in the MPG department, but in truck swaps while they did better than the iron block LQs/Whatevers they replaced, they still never got into the high teens MPG wise (stock).

In terms of longevity vs the Diesel who knows, the LS motors last pretty much forever so long as they're taken care of.

As much as I love the LS motors (Did you delete DoD with the L92?) I highly doubt it gets near the gas mileage of even the stock 1HDT in the 80 series (my L92 in my Denali did horrible, granted it weighs a lot more than the LC80 and it was an earlier non DoD block). I've done L92/LS3/LSx swaps into lighter vehicles and they have done great in the MPG department, but in truck swaps while they did better than the iron block LQs/Whatevers they replaced, they still never got into the high teens MPG wise (stock).

In terms of longevity vs the Diesel who knows, the LS motors last pretty much forever so long as they're taken care of.

It's a non-DOD L92.
Like I said, it's a guess on mpg. I'll be sure to post up results though.

I am admittedly new to the 80 series diesel game. I have daily driven a left-hand drive HJ61 for about the past two years. In that truck I am able to average 17 to 21 miles per gallon in mixed driving.

In my first full tank on the HZJ80, I averaged 16.7 miles per gallon in a mix of city and highway driving, not being particular careful on the throttle pedal.

This 1HZ does not blow smoke, has the fuel screw still wire locked from the factory, and will drive 70 in traffic. Getting up to speed takes a little while, but in general, I feel like I’m using less of the motor to get up to speed and maintain it.

And it beats the hell out of the solid 9.8mpg my bone stock FJ62 gets (yeah, it needs a tuneup).

I love diesel and I love my diesel 77; much more than my fzj80.

However, that FZJ80 while horrible on gas, I look at it as a sweet possible LS recipient if the time ever comes, more than a 1hdt recipient. I get more excited about putting an LS powerplant.

I love diesel and I love my diesel 77; much more than my fzj80.

However, that FZJ80 while horrible on gas, I look at it as a sweet possible LS recipient if the time ever comes, more than a 1hdt recipient. I get more excited about putting an LS powerplant.
"I like my gas engine because I won't be sad to swap it out"

solid

Also since I my conversion I have earned back $885 dollars in fuel savings over 31,000 miles.

Did you keep track of the cost of conversion to the Cummins engine?

Did you keep track of the cost of conversion to the Cummins engine?
Unfornutely I am one of those people that records all expenses in life down to the penny. So yes.

In our 188.3 mile highway test it was cheaper to drive gas. Combined off road/tarmac the diesel seems to get about 20% better mileage than the 12.5 MPG the gas gets.

Sorry, somethings wrong with your mates motor Phil. We averaged 20 MPG (1HD-T / A442F) while in 4 Hi from Canada to Ecuador over varied terrain on 255's

Last edited:
Well that sucks for my vacation. Used to be 30% cheaper Stateside after exchange

Few other considerations for the "debate":
  • Inherently safer fuel, diesel being combustible not flammable
  • 40% increase in range (km/kg of fuel)
  • power in 4 LO
  • engine braking
  • NO FU<K!NG COMPUTERS
  • NO FU<K!NG EMISSIONS
Safer, less complicated and more reliable. Is it worth the $10 to $20k price difference? For us, yes

Last edited:
Well that sucks for my vacation. Use to be 30% cheaper Stateside after exchange

Few other considerations for the "debate":
  • Inherently safer fuel, diesel being combustible not flammable
  • 40% increase in range (km/kg of fuel)
  • power in 4 LO
  • engine braking
  • NO FU<K!NG COMPUTERS
  • NO FU<K!NG EMISSIONS
Safer, less complicated and more reliable. Is it worth the $10 to $20k price difference? For us, yes

$4 gal for diesel and prem a couple weeks ago in Baja Mexico:wtf:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom