Exhaust Manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

My exhaust manifold has a nice crack on the small "half", as you can see in the image bellow, and I fill the need to do something about it and couple of doubts have raised in my mind...

If the small side is cracked what about the big side? I hadn't the chance to give it a proper look but if it isn't also cracked, is it likely to be one of these days?
If so Instead of replacing just the small side I could do both or even go with something like the item in the following listing. Do you think that this custom manifold could be a nice replacement for the OEM one?

Share your thoughts.

Thanks

Cheers

That the small part is cracked does not mean that there's anything wrong with the large part, you'll have to pull both off the engine to repair, so I'd just give the large part a good once over with it off the truck to make sure it's OK to reuse.

If you're re-using the large part, you'll want to rebuild the slide joint where the 2 parts meet, new o-rings and snap rings, and a new collar, I'd also recommend new head/manifold gaskets, and manifold/turbo gasket. You may want to have new head studs and nuts on hand as well as they can get pretty crusty, and most of the studs came out with the nuts when I did mine, with the nuts corroded to the studs.

IanB,

Thanks for your input!

That the small part is cracked does not mean that there's anything wrong with the large part, you'll have to pull both off the engine to repair, so I'd just give the large part a good once over with it off the truck to make sure it's OK to reuse.

If you're re-using the large part, you'll want to rebuild the slide joint where the 2 parts meet, new o-rings and snap rings, and a new collar, I'd also recommend new head/manifold gaskets, and manifold/turbo gasket. You may want to have new head studs and nuts on hand as well as they can get pretty crusty, and most of the studs came out with the nuts when I did mine, with the nuts corroded to the studs.

Def solid advice.

@IanB Are you supposed to rebuild the slide joint where the 2 parts meet every time the manifold is removed? Just curious, I know in his instance it makes a lot of sense to do so.

Def solid advice.

@IanB Are you supposed to rebuild the slide joint where the 2 parts meet every time the manifold is removed? Just curious, I know in his instance it makes a lot of sense to do so.

No, I really don't think that would be required. I removed mine to install a new turbo last year, and rebuilt it at that time as the truck was 25 years old and it had never been touched, if that's your scenario I'd recommend rebuilding the joint as they do wear out and leak (as mine was judging from the carbon on the back of the heat sheild). I have had to remove it another 3 times since, and it wouldn't make sense to rebuild that joint each consecutive time.

Thanks for the comments, yes the price of the custom one is higher with shipping and customs. Here in Europe I can get both parts for 673AUD.

Now that I re-thinking doesn't make much sense... I looked at it mainly from a reliability point of view since any future cracks etc would be easier to fix.
Performance wise would it make any difference?

Cheers

Hi,

And my rig is back on the road with new full exhaust manifold, both parts had they're own cracks and it seems that there was some leakage in the union.

MVIMG_20190418_125327_500.jpg

MVIMG_20190418_125343_775.jpg

Now it seems more silent... Could it be or I got used to noise of the small Bertone I've been dailying??

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom