Keep Throttle Cable or Change to Linkage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
For my '71 FJ40 build I have several options re: the carburetor, accelerator pedal, and air cleaner. The '71 currently has a '76 2F with a non-US vacuum advance distributor and F engine accessories, except for the '84 Tercel 4WD hatchback power steering pump in place of the smog pump. The pedal assembly, accelerator cable, and carburetor are stock, as is the air cleaner assembly. The '71 will be getting the low mileage 2F from my '76 FJ40. It has an FJ60 vacuum advance distributor, oil cooler with appropriate water pump, Tercel pump, and '76 carburetor/air cleaner. I plan on removing the EGR components.

I'm leaning towards using my '71 carburetor (has been ported for vacuum advance and will be freshly rebuilt by the end of the week), accelerator pedal with cable (I plan on adapting an FJ40 hand throttle to attach to the pedal), and F engine air cleaner. I will also be using 3FE exhaust manifolds along with either the F or 2F intake manifold (what are the pros and cons of each?). And I'll be keeping the FJ60 electronic ignition, oil cooler, and later water pump.

I have two spare carburetor bases from early '73 that have the linkage parts for the stock bell crank assembly and rod, so I could easily re-route my cable to the early '73 arrangement if I can source the bell crank assembly and rod. That way I can remove the interference with the stock '71 cable if I decide to use the '76 air cleaner assembly with the '71 carburetor (I'd have to fabricate a simple extension adapter to the top of the '71 carburetor). If I use the '76 air cleaner I can tap some heat off the front 3FE exhaust manifold (should be easy to modify the 3FE heat shield) so I could retain the heat riser to pre-heat the intake air.

Here's a photo of the cable linkage/bellcrank set-up on @73FJ40's carburetor, that's pretty much the set-up I'd put together.

Any thoughts and input would be appreciated.

I didn’t read all your post but...if you can find a bell crank (I got one from SOR and affordable actually) and your firewall is not setup for linkage I’d run cable. It was easier for me to go cable vs drilling the firewall for linkage. If the firewall was setup for linkage already I’d run that.

My 40 was “jerry-rigged” with a cable setup that was no where near as nice as the one in your example... I hated it! Put together all the parts to restore to a linkage when I bought a rebuilt Aisan... much better :smokin:

*That setup in you picture looks well done so my comparison of the two methods is tainted by the cobbled together cable job PO did!

Perhaps, I don't understand how you can mount the '76 air cleaner to the air horn on the '71 carb? The F carb clamps on the circumference, the later air cleaner has the threaded rod and nut?

The '76 air cleaner opening ID is slightly larger than the '71 carburetor top hat OD. And the top of the '71 carburetor is not as high as the lip at the top of the '76 carburetor (the '76 carburetor has that thick spacer for the EGR inlet pipe). All I'd have to do is fabricate an extension sleeve that incorporates a cross piece with a stud, kind of like a lampshade attachment. And I could use the stock '71 gasket to seal it to the ID of the '76 air cleaner. I should be able to find most of the materials and metric hardware I'd need to fabricate the sleeve and the bellcrank and rod to attach to the carburetor at the Ace Hardware across the street from Toyota of Santa Fe.

If you were ever going to consider adding EFI such as the Holly Sniper, I would say keep the cable. Otherwise, the later linkage setup is more positive and robust, as long as you've got the firewall for it like @S4Cruiser said.

If you were ever going to consider adding EFI such as the Holly Sniper, I would say keep the cable. Otherwise, the later linkage setup is more positive and robust, as long as you've got the firewall for it like @S4Cruiser said.
The firewall's part of the '71 FJ40 tub I picked up in California last month, comparing it to my '76 firewall it looks like it would be some extra work. I plan to keep the '71 carburetor and FJ60 electronic ignition.

Cable all the way...but...I would stick with the ‘71 type bellcrank. It’s more direct. Like the difference in a Saginaw swap over a minitruck that uses an intermediate bellcrank.

If you would like an air cleaner from an '82 (which bolts on differently than the earlier 2F) I have a good one in storage that you could weld to suit, for free, if you would like?
Thanks for the offer, but I've got at least two good '81+ air cleaner assemblies stashed away in my garage in Nevada. The air cleaner in my '76 FJ40 donor vehicle will work great because the '71 already has a '76 2F - bolts right up to the valve cover.

I’m assuming the air cleaner choice is ‘tail wagging dog’ based on your power steering pump location.

The Tercel pump sits down low on the stock smog pump bracket, both of my FJ40s ('71 and '76) have the same exact set-up, each with their stock air cleaners - no interferences.

The '76 air cleaner opening ID is slightly larger than the '71 carburetor top hat OD. And the top of the '71 carburetor is not as high as the lip at the top of the '76 carburetor (the '76 carburetor has that thick spacer for the EGR inlet pipe). All I'd have to do is fabricate an extension sleeve that incorporates a cross piece with a stud, kind of like a lampshade attachment. And I could use the stock '71 gasket to seal it to the ID of the '76 air cleaner. I should be able to find most of the materials and metric hardware I'd need to fabricate the sleeve and the bellcrank and rod to attach to the carburetor at the Ace Hardware across the street from Toyota of Santa Fe.
Well, I was searching eBay and came up with this:

Should work as a spacer between a '71 carburetor and a '76 air cleaner.

Cable all the way...but...I would stick with the ‘71 type bellcrank. It’s more direct. Like the difference in a Saginaw swap over a minitruck that uses an intermediate bellcrank.
Hey. I bought a 74 fj40 with a cable to holley conv. The holley was missing parts but have a oem carb that is new. Now I need to make that cable work or go back to original linkage? Any thoughts. Thanks

In reference to your text in red, please do what a true elder statesmen would do, consider not just oneself but society. Close to 400,000 dead. Millions have lost family members. Though I sure it was not your intention, your comment may be perceived as selfish and callus by those at risk or have lost relatives. Be well sir.

In reference to your text in red, please do what a true elder statesmen would do, consider not just oneself but society. Close to 400,000 dead. Millions have lost family members. Though I sure it was not your intention, your comment may be perceived as selfish and callus by those at risk or have lost relatives. Be well sir.
? Say what! 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom