Brake Switch Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gregnash

Anal Retentive Analyst
Threads
Not really sure what to call it but there is a small plastic/rubber piece that is attached to the brake pedal arm that acts as a bumper between the switch and the arm. Well mine apparently has gotten so worn that it actually put a hole in the bumper which was causing the switch to not actuate properly, thus my brake lights staying on at random times.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

So question is, does anyone know where I can get a replacement piece for this? I found a small "plunger" end on my mat which looks to have been attached to the back of this (going through the hole in the brake arm) so the bumper no longer stays up there. Currently have a piece of wood with double stick tape taking its place. @OSS @beno

90541-06008
Your the man Onur!! Too bad it is only a few $$. Assuming there is one on each of the pedals, so best to purchase 3 and replace them all.

Granted my first one lasted 30 years, but I ordered two when it wore through. Now I'll have a replacement ready when the new one wears down 30 years from now :hillbilly:

What Beno said. They are still stocked and cost almost nothing. As others have said, it is difficult to install. I recommend some grease before giving it a go. LOL

Dang, I just stuffed a plastic tree rivet into the hole the bumper used to be in... works fine I guess... fwiw, I found that if anything conductive is used to do this job, you’ll be charging your battery; it’s not simply a matter of taking up the space to shut the switch off...

Dang, I just stuffed a plastic tree rivet into the hole the bumper used to be in... works fine I guess... fwiw, I found that if anything conductive is used to do this job, you’ll be charging your battery; it’s not simply a matter of taking up the space to shut the switch off...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but what do you mean it’s not just a matter of taking up the space? Helping a buddy get on the road with his brake lights staying on. Found the little rubber piece on the ground and taped it back up in the mean time until the new one comes in (dealer didn’t have it in stock), but the lights are remaining on. Also adjusted the brake light switch all the way forward to take up the rest of the space. What am I missing?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but what do you mean it’s not just a matter of taking up the space? Helping a buddy get on the road with his brake lights staying on. Found the little rubber piece on the ground and taped it back up in the mean time until the new one comes in (dealer didn’t have it in stock), but the lights are remaining on. Also adjusted the brake light switch all the way forward to take up the rest of the space. What am I missing?

Sounds like either the brakes lights will stay on and discharge the battery...or his switch was somehow grounding through the brake pedal?

I guess the other question is how necessary is the little rubber piece? I’m sure the bare metal pedal will wear down the switch quickly, but shouldn’t it still function without it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom