Builds Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It probably was me. The gf and I were at Tanque Verde falls on Sunday. I have a metal tech sticker on the left rear cargo window that I need to take off. I just got my Boss airbags, so it won’t have the saggy bottom anymore.

That was you (that was the sticker). You were turning south on Houghton as I was waiting to turn east on TV...in our '16 Sequoia.

@BlackCat and @Skniper ...I was a little surprised that upon completion of the Mishimoto installation that the front of the radiator sits a bit more aft than than the OEM style. This leaves a gap of about 1.5 inches behind that header over the condenser. As you can see in the photo, I have used furnace tape to close up this gap so that air is denied this significant bypass...now forced to pass through the condenser.

I thought the photo might be helpful to others considering this radiator.

Last edited:
Yeah I had gaps with my CSF rad when I replaced. Used some pipe foam to fill the gap as it is a high vibration area (at least in my mind) and figure it could use with a bit of protection.

Triumphant milestone reached today. I took the Cruiser on the same local steep mountain highway today that I did three weeks ago or so. You likely remember that I experienced considerable fluctuations in engine temperature, but more concerning, transmission overheating. Today was the test drive to verify the effectiveness of the mods done in response (Mishimoto raditor, t-stat, new Toyota Red, 12" condenser fan sandwiched between the condenser and a B&M 70268 transcooler, the exhaust wrap adjacent to the transmission, and the synthetic ATF).

This is quite a steep, winding climb up to Summerhaven on Mount Lemmon, AZ. Speed limit is 35mph. I maintained 35mph except on the very steepest stretches where I would go by feel and ear...holding about 30-35. The engine was strong. The transmission shifting where and when it should and totally positive in its performance.

The engine temp was rock steady! It held mid-scale + .25 needle width; far different from the previous test drive. Most importantly I got out and checked the transmission temps with a point and shoot digital thermometer. The driver/nearby exhaust side was still a bit hot, but...the passenger side was 140-180 degrees. I'm guessing operating temp was around 200 degrees. Considering the uphill load, I think that quite terrific!

This establishes/verifies the vehicle ready for actual adventures. Woo hoo! Had a beer at the Sawmill to celebrate. :p

Last edited:
Glad it’s all working out! One thing I forgot to ask when we talked about the mishimoto was if you used the cap they provided. If I remember right, the cap I got was like a 20 or 22lb, which in my opinion, is too much. I put a new Toyota cap on mine.
I’ve debated taking mine up to the top to see how it does, but the carb scares me. Haha

Looking good and glad to hear that there's someone else who uses Mt. Lemmon to put their vehicles to the test.

A beer well earned!🍺

Gonna add one more layer of heat shield to that 1' section of exhaust pipe that runs along closest to the transmission/pan. Gonna try this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF2RGHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully I can mitigate a bit more radiant heat.

Arrived, installed, and tested. Big success. I now have temps on each side of the transmission close to the same, despite the proximity of the exhaust on the driver's side. 165 on driver's side pan, 146 on the passenger side of the pan. I am now confident that the transmission will not get cooked to death.

Last edited:
FYI to all...the stabilizer was the issue causing the subtle but consistent lane wandering. The old OME stabilizer was just worn and easier in movement, therefore not doing enough stabilizing. It was not veering, but the consistent subtle wandering required attention way over the norm. Replacing it rendered good solid lane tracking and much less attention fatigue.

The blower motor pigtail was melted. It also looked as though the blower resistor module was the original. Replaced both motor and resistor module. Blower is a hurricane in high now! :oops::)

Arrived, installed, and tested. Big success. I now have temps on each side of the transmission close to the same, despite the proximity of the exhaust on the driver's side. 165 on driver's side pan, 146 on the passenger side of the pan. I am now confident that the transmission will not get cooked to death.

By the way, all of this was quite affordable. Talk about return on investment! 12" condenser/transcooler fan, relay, switch and electrical run about $135. B&M 70268, hose and installation about $175. Exhaust wrap and proximity heat shield about $75. Synthetic ATF about $90. Digital point and shoot thermometer to verify effectiveness $18. Benefit of the sum of it all to managing auto transmission operating temperature: priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom