Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You definitely going? Driving?
Yeah, most definitely. I have nightmares about not getting registered in time so I’m gonna have 4 devices up for registrationo_O

But yeah, we will be driving and towing our camper. 65mph @3200 rpms all the way. Getting 7 mpg.

An epic haul no doubt.

So as someone who has never been to Silverton or a HIH: Are there any trails suitable for the families who are mortally scared of narrow trails with steep drops?

I had a blast last year at HIH8! Can't wait for HIH9!

Evidently 96 bottles of local Indiana brew Root Beer wasn't enough for all the kids (and "youthful" adults, ;)) last year, so I'll be sure to leave extra room in the LX for more this year!

So as someone who has never been to Silverton or a HIH: Are there any trails suitable for the families who are mortally scared of narrow trails with steep drops?

Plenty actually. Stony Pass is scenic and not scary. The Gulches are fun and easy as well: Maggie, Minnie and Eureka Gulches are perfect little side excursions. I'd say that Hurricane, California and Cinnamon are not scary as well as they don't have any "shelf" road to speak of.

Ophir looks scary in photos, but is actually very tame (wider than one thinks)

Uhh no and yes. But I promise you should feel really safe at all times with a good trail leader. These trails are not all that challenging (except poughkeepsie which has no big cliffs ironically) so you will feel pretty safe. But looking down the mountain at Telluride from Black Bear might make you a little quesy. It's steep in person and narrow. I don't say that to scare you at all, you will be shocked how confidence inspiring your 100 will be!!

EDIT: In response to Geanes I am just discussing the features, i.e. Black Bear, Imogene, etc. The gulches are great, Clear Lake is pretty tame in terms of drop offs as well. Maybe see how you feel on those before you decide to step up?

EDIT: In response to Geanes I am just discussing the features, i.e. Black Bear, Imogene, etc. The gulches are great, Clear Lake is pretty tame in terms of drop offs as well. Maybe see how you feel on those before you decide to step up?

Exactly. Start on one of the Gulches to get acclimated. Once they get a taste of the incredible scenery, their fear will subside. Especially once they realize these trails are much wider than common road lanes. Super Secret is a GREAT trail to get acclimated on as well.

Black Bear and Imogene though....those are ENTIRELY different beasts.

This should give some perspective about the Gulches (Maggie and Minnie). They are tame and wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass (though tight). The drops aren't steep. Heck, saw a Porsche Cayenne at the top of Minnie Gulch last year and it was on road going radials.

Col Trails Jul 2018 (136).jpg

Col Trails Jul 2018 (178).jpg

IMG_1637.JPG

Clear lake is pretty tame as well

E4AF3A5A-BB82-4BD4-8152-E73A5AB3F471.jpeg

This should give some perspective about the Gulches (Maggie and Minnie). They are tame and wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass (though tight). The drops aren't steep. Heck, saw a Porsche Cayenne at the top of Minnie Gulch last year and it was on road going radials.

Thanks everyone - looks like there are trails from pretty tame to wild. Now I just need to get lucky with the registration. Is the registration restricted to a certain number of participants?

Yeah, most definitely. I have nightmares about not getting registered in time so I’m gonna have 4 devices up for registrationo_O

But yeah, we will be driving and towing our camper. 65mph @3200 rpms all the way. Getting 7 mpg.

An epic haul no doubt.
Geez, that is going to be a long drive, but I think I'm gonna see if I can get a golden ticket this time! Probably see if any FL folks are caravanning west.

Geez, that is going to be a long drive, but I think I'm gonna see if I can get a golden ticket this time! Probably see if any FL folks are caravanning west.
I’m not sure about Florida but I know there are a few guys from around Atlanta going that you might could hook up with.
I would highly recommend going up through Atlanta and hitting I-20 and I-40 vs taking I-10 then up through Mississippi and Louisiana. We did both last year and that lower route really sucked.

Trust me, you want to do the whole experience at HIH. Gotta do Black Bear and Poughkeepsie, those trails are epic. I'd just start out with Clear Lake and progressively work up to the more challenging trails. It's a ton of fun! We did them with ZERO offroad experience in a stock vehicle and everyone had a blast!

May be slightly jumping the gun the here: But perhaps we can get a group to drive together from Midwest?
It's about 20 hours of driving time from Madison so we will take 2 days for sure!

May be slightly jumping the gun the here: But perhaps we can get a group to drive together from Midwest?
It's about 20 hours of driving time from Madison so we will take 2 days for sure!

Not sure the route you are going to take, but thats a great idea. It was a boring drive last year. I did Lafayette, In to La Junta, Co in one day. A nearly 1100 mile slog in 17 hours exactly. I took I74>I72>hwy36>I70 till Colorado then branched off to La Junta. Usually I just take I70 all the way from Indy, but wanted to change it up a little last year. The reason for the crazy day 1 miles was I wanted to get out there early to hit some National Parks and I only had limited days off work so I didn't want to spend all my time driving. I spent a few days at Great Sand Dunes NP and Mesa Verde NP before HIH8 started. Was worth the long haul!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom