1HD-T Engine Failure - Calgary, AB - Advice/Tips welcome!! (1 Viewer)

Rebuild 1HD-T or source another motor?

• Rebuild 1HD-T

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Source new motor

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Checked the pump 3x and calculated it to be at 1.21mm. Advanced it to 1.35mm. Took it for a drive but didn’t notice any significant changes. I’m gonna pull the injectors next and check to make sure the washers are the thicker 3.5mm ones from the 92+ 1HDT.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with @Rock40, I don't think it's enough to be a tooth out. But it may be though, the crank turns twice for each rotation of the cam. 4degrees rotation at the crank is 2degrees at the cam

When you set everything to TDC, ONLY rotate the crank CLOCKWISE. if you go past TDC, keep turning the crank until you come all the way back around to TDC. Don't turn the crank anticlockwise to come back to TDC

Checked the pump 3x and calculated it to be at 1.21mm. Advanced it to 1.35mm. Took it for a drive but didn’t notice any significant changes. I’m gonna pull the injectors next and check to make sure the washers are the thicker 3.5mm ones from the 92+ 1HDT.
Just curious what the upper timing limit is on the HD-T as I'm really only familiar with the FT. Mine is set at 1.6mm which is just past the upper limit spec and it makes quite a bit of difference.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with @Rock40, I don't think it's enough to be a tooth out. But it may be though, the crank turns twice for each rotation of the cam. 4degrees rotation at the crank is 2degrees at the cam

When you set everything to TDC, ONLY rotate the crank CLOCKWISE. if you go past TDC, keep turning the crank until you come all the way back around to TDC. Don't turn the crank anticlockwise to come back to TDC

Yup - followed those instructions when initially setting it to TDC, however the FSM does indicate to rotate the crank counter-clockwise until the dial gauge stops when timing the IP, then go clockwise to TDC on the crank.

FWIW - timed the pump again tonight, this time the process took ~45min.

Must not have threaded the SST in deep enough the first time because though I triple checked it at 1.35mm, today it read 1.24mm.

Today I made sure to thread in the SST securely, set it to 1.37mm, and fired it up. Sounds more diesely, much closer to the sound of the Ford power stroke we had in the shop a few days ago. I am going to see if economy improves. There appears to be less smoke, lower EGT’s and more power.

I think I’ll still pull the injectors to check the washers and also run a clear fuel hose to check for bubbles.

Also wondering how much factory air box/snorkel will be affecting power at 21psi?

Weather is still ice cold in Calgary (below -20’c) but it starts better now with less smoke and drama.

FWIW - timed the pump again tonight, this time the process took ~45min.

Must not have threaded the SST in deep enough the first time because though I triple checked it at 1.35mm, today it read 1.24mm.

Today I made sure to thread in the SST securely, set it to 1.37mm, and fired it up. Sounds more diesely, much closer to the sound of the Ford power stroke we had in the shop a few days ago. I am going to see if economy improves. There appears to be less smoke, lower EGT’s and more power.

I think I’ll still pull the injectors to check the washers and also run a clear fuel hose to check for bubbles.

Also wondering how much factory air box/snorkel will be affecting power at 21psi?

Weather is still ice cold in Calgary (below -20’c) but it starts better now with less smoke and drama.
Nice, sounds like you're getting much closer 👍

Yeah I'll check it a few more times this week and see how it responds to adjustment.

Question - Can seafoam be introduced through the crossover pipe vacuum line? I know I'll get revs out of it since it is combustible. I'd like to see if it's an effective way of cleaning the valves since they don't see any fuel like an IDI motor.

I'd think pulling the intake and cleaning it and sucking the junk out with a Vacuum would be better though. Another good reason not to have crankcase fumes plumbed to the
intake.

Question - Can seafoam be introduced through the crossover pipe vacuum line? I know I'll get revs out of it since it is combustible. I'd like to see if it's an effective way of cleaning the valves since they don't see any fuel like an IDI motor.
Just for the record, an IDI diesel doesn't inject fuel 'behind' the valve like a non-DI EFI petrol - the diesel is still injected into the cylinder, just through a prec-combusion chamber in the head.

I really hope you sort this as these are great motors. I've had mine 14 years as a DD, used 7 days a week.
Close to 290000 on the clock now. Nothing has been touched other than services and a new water pump.

Do not use intake cleaners. I have seen about an inch of carbon build up inside the intake on egr equipped 80s. Take off and clean manually.
All that crap loosening off will cause engine damage.

Yeah I would like to get the valves clean, but I think I’ll pull all the intake hardware and clean it in the varsol parts washer.

Any reason why I couldn’t just vent to atmosphere instead of running a catch can?

Any reason why I couldn’t just vent to atmosphere instead of running a catch can?

Not unless you live somewhere with emissions testing, so you should be fine.

Just for the record, an IDI diesel doesn't inject fuel 'behind' the valve like a non-DI EFI petrol - the diesel is still injected into the cylinder, just through a prec-combusion chamber in the head.

Didn’t know that - I’ll have to study up on the 1HZ!

Real simple - @ 21psi with correct timing and your mods and the front driveshaft removed you should be able to peel rubber down the block. If you can't, whoever rebuilt your engine, pump or injectors...….

Last edited:
Real simple - @ 21psi with correct timing and your mods and the front driveshaft removed you should be able to peel rubber down the block. If you can't, whoever rebuilt your engine, pump or injectors...….

Yeah we’re definitely not there. Hopefully injector washers are wrong and this makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom