1982 FJ40 Rear Body Mount & Frame Patch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon everyone,

I have used the search feature but I am unable to find any info this, so i’m reaching out for help offered.

I am currently looking at purchasing a stock 1982 FJ40 for $3500. When I looked the car over I was surprised at how rust free the frame was, however there was a couple of spots on the frame that stood out to me as abnormal.

1) The steel body mounts where the rear of the body rests appear to be broken or cut off for some reason (as seen in picture). I’m not sure how these could be gone given how thick the steel is that they are made out of. They are broken like this on both sides of the frame. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Also, is there anywhere that these pieces can be purchased as they only appear to be riveted on?

2) There appears to be a section of 1/4” plate steel welded onto on the frame just forward of the rear axle on both sides of the frame for some reason (as seen in pictures). I looked at it as best as I could and didn’t see any cracks, or rust through the frame, but I can’t think of any reason for this other than those other than structural integrity?

I don’t remember either of these issues on my ‘74 that I had a couple of year ago. So any help/input would be greatly appreciated!!

I really like the truck but don’t want to get in too far over my head with it.

Thanks,

Brendan

Last edited:
It's possible that a PO has had the rear part of the frame replaced since, like my '82, they become like used tissue paper back there. I don't know where Northborough is, but if it's in the North East, the end of the frame should be rotted out.

It's possible that a PO has had the rear part of the frame replaced since, like my '82, they become like used tissue paper back there. I don't know where Northborough is, but if it's in the North East, the end of the frame should be rotted out.

I hadn’t even thought about the rear part of the frame being replaced. I’ll look at it closer when I check it out next. The rear end of the frame isn’t rotted out at all! That’s why I’m so suspicious 😂. Thank you for the response!

You will have plenty of rust issues, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth $3500. That depends on your personal situation.

The tub is shot. Plan on $5k+ for a new one. Plus bodywork, plus paint, plus...

The frame usually rots along the bottom inner channel near the rear spring front perches and at the very rear of the frame rails and spring gussets. The PO didn’t weld those plates on because he was bored. Look at the inside of the frame rails. And, is that a weld bead I see on the frame rail just above the plates? Perhaps a butt weld that was then reinforced with the plate?

Check those areas and report back. But even if the frame is good, that looks like a parts truck just from those few photos.

Northborough MA?

Edit: good god. I just got a better look at the inner “frame rail” in the second pic. The frame is toast and has been poorly patched back together.

Last edited:
So I looked closer at the pictures that I have and it appears that Billmc is correct. I can see a bead of weld on both sides of the frame that wwould indicate that the rear section had been cut off and replaced. I didn't even notice that. Thank you Bill.

And splangy, I noticed that the tub was rough too. So here's the deal. I actually already have a 1/2 tub that I had gotten back when I had my '74. What's the compatibility like between years? The drivers and passenger floor pans are shot. I was planning on replacing those with some from CCOT.

Someone also relocated the gas tank to under the tub (not sure why, but the current owner purchase the correct gas tank for it so I could swap that in). And the exhaust is routed a strange way.

From what the guy told me, he believes he's the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner had told him that the 1st owner had the truck in Alaska and built it to be basically a survival mobile hahaha. It had a hydraulic winch which is driven via a hydraulic pump connected to the PTO, it had an air compressor installed, a welder, and a block heater. Other than that, the engine and drive train is stock......oh and a 3" man a fre suspension lift

Why are you still interested in this truck? Run away as fast as you can. It’s not even a good parts truck at that price.

X2...…...don't look at it again, just walk away from it.

How is the drivetrain? I love how no one wants to do body work and they tell people to run away when a possible new tub could take care of a lot of problems but that does come with a price. I am about to pick up a 82 as well that needs a ton of body work but the drivetrain is in really great condition.

How is the drivetrain? I love how no one wants to do body work and they tell people to run away when a possible new tub could take care of a lot of problems but that does come with a price. I am about to pick up a 82 as well that needs a ton of body work but the drivetrain is in really great condition.

It needs at least a frame and a tub. It needs a lot more than bodywork. It’s a parts truck and a bad one at that.

I would never encourage somebody to try to restore something with a bad frame and a bad tub when there are plenty of solid trucks to start from. It just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
^ Splangy, have you seen it?

^ Splangy, have you seen it?

No. I saw the pics above. They clearly show that the frame and tub are shot.

I suspect you’re insinuating that I haven’t seen enough to make an informed decision. The frame is gone! And the few pics of the tub show huge holes and the front floors are gone. I suppose the aprons are probably still solid. They don’t rust too often.

Who would intentionally restore a car with a bad frame when they don’t have to? It’s not the last FJ40 left on earth and there’s no emotional attachment to this one. It doesn’t need to be saved to carry on the species. When most people restore cars that shouldn’t be restored it’s because they’re emotionally attached or because they got screwed over and didn’t know what they were looking at when they bought the car.

Last edited:
See I had the opposite opinion. I thought the frame looked great other than the rear half being swapped. The PO claimed it was coated with wax blend of some sort. The tub however, needs serious work. Now like I said, I have a ‘74 half tub that’s i could swap in. Thoughts?

74 tub is different than the 79+. You could sell the 74 tub to help fund the 82 project. Pm me a price.

Is the rest of the vehicle there? All the little stuff adds up. If the frame is solid, I would run it. I still would need to see more pics.

how about some more pics?
as stated above, the original gas tank is nowhere to be seen, most likely rusted away or the straps rusted and they couldn't get the bolts out so they went a different route.
the need to replace the rear part of the frame because of it being wasted, the rest of it is suspect, around the rear of the front hangers and all along the middle section, my guess is the inner box will be an issue.
@Splangy lives in the NE and has seen his share of rusted rigs, I grew up in NJ and have seen rigs waste away.

even as a parts rig, it would need to have PS and a/c to make it worth anything to me.
my guess is almost every bolt will break when trying to remove them, the axle housings will have lots of pitting on them, bottom of the windshield frame, bottoms of the front doors, bottoms of the ambulance doors, etc.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely on the fence about this one, and its located in Bedford, NH. The family that's selling it has two of them but only has time for one of them, and so he's selling the '82 (which the family has an emotional attachment too). No a/c or power steering 3_puppies. Splangy, yeah the aprons look fine, its the floors the need the work. Also, as for the gas tank. Here are some pics for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any interior pics or under the hood?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely on the fence about this one, and its located in Bedford, NH. The family that's selling it has two of them but only has time for one of them, and so he's selling the '82 (which the family has an emotional attachment too). No a/c or power steering 3_puppies. Splangy, yeah the aprons look fine, its the floors the need the work. Also, as for the gas tank. Here are some pics for you guys.

View attachment 1911606

View attachment 1911607

View attachment 1911608

I live the next town over. In fact, I’m in the Bedford Starbucks drive-through as I type this. If you still need convincing why you shouldn’t buy this truck, I can meet you over there and point it out.

Why are you still interested in this truck? Run away as fast as you can. It’s not even a good parts truck at that price.

Oh, and the fuel tank is supposed to be under the truck.

Run. Look below the rust belt. Many better trucks. Fly in drive out. Cheaper than dealing with rust.

No passenger side hub or flange. I don't think I'd buy that to restore but it'd make a fine wheeler project. I like the gas cap on the rear quarter. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom