icon 2.0 vs 2.5rr shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm at the point where I need to get some longer shocks for my dobinson lift. I currently have the 0-3" icon 2.0s and love them, but they are too short. I have researched quite a bit and understand that the 2.5rr will shine when driving fast and for extended periods of time over washboard roads, etc... what I have not been able to find in any articles or threads, is any difference in ride quality (either on road or offroad) prior to shock fade. Of course i want the 2.5rr's, but they are pricey.

Question: In normal day to day driving, will i notice a difference in ride quality between the icon 2.0 (4"-6") and the icon 2.5s in the same length?

Rig is fully armored on 35s with the Dobinson tapered coils. Daily driver with other exploits consisiting primarily of overlanding with some rocks here and there. Thanks.

In day to day driving, it is unlikely you will notice much. The big idea of a remote reservoir shock is that it has a more consistent feel throughout the length of travel, along with the benefits of more fluid to move around and more gas to compress. These extra capacities shine when the shock is moving A LOT. Slow trail runs and clean dirt roads don't really get into that zone.

edit: have driven 2.5s quite a bit but no Icon 2.0s, so the above is NOT coming from direct experience.

Why stop there. treat yourself to the icon 2.5 rr cdcv. You will love yourself

Why stop there. treat yourself to the icon 2.5 rr cdcv. You will love yourself

I'm sure i would. I talked to Kevin at Endless Horizon earlier this week about the slinky spec ones...$699 a corner is tough for me to justify if there is no difference in ride quality on a daily basis and the offroad excursions that do not cause shock fade on the 2.0s. Do you have any feedback from running a decent 2.0 shock to your current setup?

In day to day driving, it is unlikely you will notice much. The big idea of a remote reservoir shock is that it has a more consistent feel throughout the length of travel, along with the benefits of more fluid to move around and more gas to compress. These extra capacities shine when the shock is moving A LOT. Slow trail runs and clean dirt roads don't really get into that zone.

edit: have driven 2.5s quite a bit but no Icon 2.0s, so the above is NOT coming from direct experience.

Thanks for the input. By the way, received my panhard bracket last week. I plan to get it installed this weekend. Thanks for a great product.

I am not necessarily stuck on Icons either. I've heard there are some Dobinson adjustable RRs getting released this summer at a much lower price point. I just haven't seen much feedback on the current Dob RRs...at least on an 80 series.

I first ran a set of 2.5" shocks on my 3rd gen 4Runner ~10 years ago and was blown away by the performance offroad but also day to day, it was noticeable.

It took me 6 years of owning my 80 series before just buying some front 2.5" shocks, and wish I had done it sooner. Day to day stuff is smoother yet more positive. Off road is very noticeable. I'm just saving up again to finish my truck off with the rear 2.5s.

I got my Icon shocks through the Icon website. Not the slinky spec, but just the 80 series spec. They are great. Don't feel the need for the CDV.

I'm sure i would. I talked to Kevin at Endless Horizon earlier this week about the slinky spec ones...$699 a corner is tough for me to justify if there is no difference in ride quality on a daily basis and the offroad excursions that do not cause shock fade on the 2.0s. Do you have any feedback from running a decent 2.0 shock to your current setup?
Personally no. @smittycrusher was running his non-resi smooth body 2.0 icon when we ran the complete HITR trail last July, in 107 degrees and we pushed hard for hours on end each day. Neither his 2.0 or my 2.5 rr cdcv faded. Both were up to the task. Keep shopping, you can have the same system with slightly different valving for less $

@bajaphile Gonna need you to drive my 80 and tell me my Kings 2.5s don't suck, because they sure feel like it.

I do love my kings 2.5, I’m sure icon is great too. Day to day and very light off-roading the 2.0 shocks from good brands are all fine. In fact my fox 2.0 was still a little smoother on the small stuff or street but on the bigger bumps and dip the kings are in a completely different hemisphere.

@bajaphile @Qball

I reread my post and i think it is a little confusing. I'm actually pretty unhappy with my Kings. Ride is pretty rough. I'd like someone to drive it and compare what they're running. Probably just need new valving, but not wanting to pull them yet.

Good to know you're liking them.

Last edited:
Depending on how long youve had them or how rough you are on them you may simply meed to add som nitrogen. Check into that. Would be a shame ro have a nice setup not functioning properly

I am not necessarily stuck on Icons either. I've heard there are some Dobinson adjustable RRs getting released this summer at a much lower price point. I just haven't seen much feedback on the current Dob RRs...at least on an 80 series.

FWIW, I have the Icon 2.0 Slinky spec shocks on my rig. I don't do desert racing stuff. I rock crawl, run Class 6 roads and run forestry roads up in Maine. I also daily drive my rig. For fast speed, I don't push my rig compared to some. But, in my experience the 2.0s have been awesome. That divergent valving is really amazing and I haven't experienced any fade to date. (will push harder this summer, if I do a long Maine trip)

For rock crawling, I push my rig about as hard as a guy on 35s can do. Again, the 2.0s have done really well. No issues whatsoever. The length allows for plenty of travel, the valving has been perfect and my wife even noticed that they ride better than my oldish OME setup.

For daily driving, they have been awesome again. Firm but not stiff over the road. Great body control. They work well when my rig is loaded or unloaded.

My 2 cents: If you are going to run your shocks over fast stuff for a long period of time, you need that remote res. An Internal Floating Piston shock will end up mixing nitrogen with oil, it will foam then it will fade. However, for daily driving, rock crawling and more moderate fast off road stuff (shorter duration or slower speeds), you won't get a noticeable improvement getting the 2.5rr over the 2.0.

@tplane2 I spent about 6 months IM'ing people here about their 2.5" body shocks. Those running the Kings all said they were pretty harsh in general for daily use. It sounds like the valving is geared for high speed desert driving. I had run the Icon's on my other trucks and always thought they were real balanced feeling.

I think the Icon's are valved a little "better" for on-road and probably not going to be as good as the Kings in the high speed desert stuff.

I think in general the 2.0's will be more than sufficient for daily driving and general offroad trail use. I only chose the 2.5's due to my rig being used mainly for long camping trips (heavily loaded) and that most the driving on those trips involve ~500 miles of open desert driving.

@cavboy78 , I went the opposite direction on my 80 after multiple sets of Icons, Kings, and Fox shocks on previous builds. I quite frankly didnt want to buy a rebuildable shock that may last me 15k miles or 50k if i'm lucky. More money on the front end and more money for rebuilds every year or so is something i'm past. I went with Dobinsons appropriate shock for my lift setup and couldnt be happier, no poly to squeek incessantly, no rod ends to rust and get sloppy, no nitrogen to charge/recharge, and i can get a pair for less than $300. I'm not looking to start a pissing match with anyone who loves highend dampers just giving my experience and POV. :cheers:

You've got my number and you're welcome to drive my truck anytime if you want to see how it rides.

Regarding Valving, Icons are digressive. King and Fox are Progressive.
Icons are firm off the top and get "softer" after the initial hit and K/F are softer off the top and progressively firm up as you go through the travel.

@cavboy78 , I went the opposite direction on my 80 after multiple sets of Icons, Kings, and Fox shocks on previous builds. I quite frankly didnt want to buy a rebuildable shock that may last me 15k miles or 50k if i'm lucky. More money on the front end and more money for rebuilds every year or so is something i'm past. I went with Dobinsons appropriate shock for my lift setup and couldnt be happier, no poly to squeek incessantly, no rod ends to rust and get sloppy, no nitrogen to charge/recharge, and i can get a pair for less than $300. I'm not looking to start a pissing match with anyone who loves highend dampers just giving my experience and POV. :cheers:

You've got my number and you're welcome to drive my truck anytime if you want to see how it rides.

Regarding Valving, Icons are digressive. King and Fox are Progressive.
Icons are firm off the top and get "softer" after the initial hit and K/F are softer off the top and progressively firm up as you go through the travel.

Oops, you are right. The term is digressive, not divergent like I posted. Thanks for the correction.

Oops, you are right. The term is digressive, not divergent like I posted. Thanks for the correction.

I definitely wasn't trying to correct you, i thought that(divergent) was something new they were doing to be "different"!

However, for daily driving, rock crawling and more moderate fast off road stuff (shorter duration or slower speeds), you won't get a noticeable improvement getting the 2.5rr over the 2.0.

I think in general the 2.0's will be more than sufficient for daily driving and general offroad trail use. I only chose the 2.5's due to my rig being used mainly for long camping trips (heavily loaded) and that most the driving on those trips involve ~500 miles of open desert driving.

Thanks. I imagined this was the case, but just wanted some first hand feedback. I have not had any fade issue with my 2.0s on the trails and runs i've done, so it boils down to an improvement in ride quality between the two outside of the fade zone.

Last edited:
@NateMob I agree 100% with your observation. In some of my other builds I've added items that just require more maintenance and upkeep than they're worth. Something to be said for simplicity sometimes... I'll hit you up once i get everything sorted out on the rig. I have her drivable after the rollover in December, but have some suspension bits to hang still like rear UCAs/LCAs, delta bracket, rear sway, and front panhard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom