The best Headlight bulb on the market today. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The post above are the low beams, below for reference I posted the stock daytime running lights. Opt7’s are on order.

Bulbs have no orientation as far as side goes, it can go in either the right or left side.
Might be a year thing - the bulbs in my '06 are side-specific. The tabs are different.

The post above are the low beams, below for reference I posted the stock daytime running lights. Opt7’s are on order.

View attachment 1907325

You might hold off on the Opt7’s in the high beam location unless someone on this forum has already tested them. I’ve tried both the XenonDepot LED which was designed as a DRL/High Beam for the 4 Runner and they did not work .. next up the Morimoto 2Stroke LED.... DRL/ High Beam and only one side worked.... flipping the polarity both came on but you can hardly tell they were on and flickered after a short drive but the High beams did fire... I sent the Morimoto to @jerryb who figured out the Nav delete to see if he can make these work.... there is something unique about the DRL/ High Beam systems in our trucks and you need to plug both high beam led bulbs in to see how they respond with the truck running.

Last edited:
@Luke111 you’re 100% correct. Lots of flicker with the OPT7 unimpressed with build quality esp @ $109!

I bought a couple of setups off of eBay and Amazon to try everything out. I ended up going with the Sylvania Silverstar zXe. I was really hoping to find a good LED DRL highbeams but nothing compared to the simplicity and price point of the Sylvania.

At some point when I save enough 💵 I will upgrade to the Xenon setup.

Right now with the Silverstar zXe in the low beams H1 and the DRL high beam 9005 I am good to go. Plenty of white light. I may consider upgrading the fog lights at some point but I seldom use them so I’m leaving them for now.

I could see how XENON’s throughout could eliminate the need for a light bar all together.

What’s the most ideal fog light upgrade... Xenon?

@Luke111 you’re 100% correct. Lots of flicker with the OPT7 unimpressed with build quality esp @ $109!View attachment 1909805

I bought a couple of setups off of eBay and Amazon to try everything out. I ended up going with the Sylvania Silverstar zXe. I was really hoping to find a good LED DRL highbeams but nothing compared to the simplicity and price point of the Sylvania.

View attachment 1909804
At some point when I save enough 💵 I will upgrade to the Xenon setup.

Right now with the Silverstar zXe in the low beams H1 and the DRL high beam 9005 I am good to go. Plenty of white light. I may consider upgrading the fog lights at some point but I seldom use them so I’m leaving them for now.

I could see how XENON’s throughout could eliminate the need for a light bar all together.

What’s the most ideal fog light upgrade... Xenon?

Yes the Morimoto Matchbox projector can be retrofitted in the fog light. This was my hack job bracket that's still in my truck today. I have since laser cut a few.. The Matcbox projectors are Bi-Xenon and produce a cut off.....now if someone just produced a triple splitter one could have six high beams firing.......
@jerryb says he is close to a solution with the 2Stroke LED DRL/High beam

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
A triple splitter would change everything written below this. I almost think if you had a three way 9005 splitter plugged in you wouldn't need anything extra for the stock or retrofitted resistor equipped LX or LC, just some wiring fixes.

first, don't use the inline resistors that you get with any LED 9005, with a LX or LC that already has the stock 4ohm 50 watt(?) in place.

second, you don't need any anti flicker boxes for LC or LX that already has the stock resistor in place, as of this moment. Those two things might help an LC or LX that did not come with a stock DRL resistor. I'm only going on the ones that came with it, or had it put in after the fact.

third, determine if you have any other plugs connected to your cars stock 9005 housing, for instance, a high beam splitter.

four, not finished. Radio shack packed it up, so amazon it is, waiting.

fifth, not finished.

the 2 stroke morimoto are not polar sensitive. They do have a fan, so there's that. There is some sort of soft start inside, that's a good thing.

Looking at upgrading to the Philips 9011/9012 and I see on amazon that there is an option for the 9012 in a crystalvision ultra instead of the standard. Is one recommended over the other? Also the 9011 doesn't seem to have an option for those so would having the standard in the high beam and crystalvision in the low beam and fog light look strange?

Looking at upgrading to the Philips 9011/9012 and I see on amazon that there is an option for the 9012 in a crystalvision ultra instead of the standard. Is one recommended over the other? Also the 9011 doesn't seem to have an option for those so would having the standard in the high beam and crystalvision in the low beam and fog light look strange?

I am not a fan of halogen bulbs that has the blue filter/coating. I think those are less bright than the regular/clear bulbs - lots of info on internet on these.

I just replaced my 9006 with 9012. From my research, there are 3 different type of 9012 bulbs.
9012LL - long life but believe the output is less than regular 9012.
9012 regular
9012 +30 - brighter, but at the expense of shorter life.

I can see noticeable differences between 9006 vs 9012 +30.

A good thread explaining the differences between models, what brands to buy and avoid:

For reference (lm = lumen)
9006: 1,095lm
9012: 1,875lm

9005: 1,860lm
9011: 2,500lm

I am not a fan of halogen bulbs that has the blue filter/coating. I think those are less bright than the regular/clear bulbs - lots of info on internet on these.

I just replaced my 9006 with 9012. From my research, there are 3 different type of 9012 bulbs.
9012LL - long life but believe the output is less than regular 9012.
9012 regular
9012 +30 - brighter, but at the expense of shorter life.

I can see noticeable differences between 9006 vs 9012 +30.

A good thread explaining the differences between models, what brands to buy and avoid:

For reference (lm = lumen)
9006: 1,095lm
9012: 1,875lm

9005: 1,860lm
9011: 2,500lm

It is also possible to put the 9011 bulbs in the 9006 housing as well... It just requires some extra trimming. I have not tried this with the 100s reflector housing. I might have done this when I was 21 on my Honda Accord and pissed some truckers off because of a stray beam of light. It was due to how many lumens the bulb was putting off. It was only with truckers and when I was on the interstate passing them on the left that the stray light hit their side view mirrors. The nice part though, was there was a TON of light.

Well, here I am, in 2019 trying to find the best halogen bulb for my wife’s 100 series. It looks like, from reading the comments here, and the reviews on the Internet, that everything sucks. Does that about sum it up?

Is there a high output bulb with a whitish light that last? (Low beam)

Well, here I am, in 2019 trying to find the best halogen bulb for my wife’s 100 series. It looks like, from reading the comments here, and the reviews on the Internet, that everything sucks. Does that about sum it up?

Is there a high output bulb with a whitish light that last? (Low beam)

Just do a HID retrofit and solve your problem.... there will never be a halogen bulb that will produce the results you're looking for

I'm using Osram Night Breaker (here)
Prolly the best legal halogen available. Better than 2 different HIRs I've tried. HID would be brighter, but more work and possibility for screwing up.

Finally years later putting 9011s in the low beams. I will report back. Thanks for all the insights.

I'm using Osram Night Breaker (here)
Prolly the best legal halogen available. Better than 2 different HIRs I've tried. HID would be brighter, but more work and possibility for screwing up.
Their own marketing shows half the life of a standard bulb though. :(

Last edited:
Isn’t 9012 for the low beam

I put these in last summer for the low beams and I have been very happy. Way brighter. Katana 9006 LED Headlight Bulbs. They are about $50 on Amazon.

Yes, I have a few left
I didn’t know you had these I don’t think I have seen this in your website and that a Morimoto Matchbox is doable on the LX’s fog light assembly. How much is a pair on those fog light steel brackets for the LX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom