For Sale 1976 Rustic Green FJ40 factory soft-top spec. Make offer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a '76 out of AZ and CA with records of oil changes and documented miles. Looks to have been repainted in the 90's to red from its original green and the upholstery recovered but aside from that its mostly original.. Has the cool under jump seat conn fer storage boxes, rear heater, CB, original soft top, original shift knob, original rubber floor mat and ignition. There is the rust spot left rear corner and under the driver door I sanded away and it’s metal.. otherwise it is very straight.

$14k. Work is being done as we speak. I couldn’t let it sit with the spots so the whole thing is being sandblasted next week and taken back to original rustic green.

See more..

View attachment 1919332View attachment 1919333
View attachment 1919336

Last edited:
As a tip, anyone who's really interested is going to want to see the rear quarter panels and the metal under the doors. Post up as many pictures as you can so prospective buyers can get a good idea of what they're looking at.

I can't believe they painted the rear heater red too, that's a little much :confused:

As a tip, anyone who's really interested is going to want to see the rear quarter panels and the metal under the doors. Post up as many pictures as you can so prospective buyers can get a good idea of what they're looking at.

I can't believe they painted the rear heater red too, that's a little much :confused:
Trying to post a lot more pics it's just taking forever to upload :D

Ok. Well, I spent my free time the last couple weeks tinkering and we have a different animal. Lots of dirt and oxidization removed. Bad spots identified and ospho'd. Motor is original and very strong. Gearbox is strong. 4x4 works (admittedly I only took it to a lot across the street because tags). Frame is strong. Floors are pretty strong with some pitting on the drivers floor. Everything works, including the monstrous double battery. haView attachment 1898477
View attachment 1898481

Last edited:
Who in all that is good would repaint an original green fj40 red?

Rant over, nice truck. Easy sale methinks

Just a though. If you blast the body and frame, you will be facing a huge amount of work to bring the value back up. If whoever painted it did not do any prep to the green, like sanding on it, it may be possible to strip that red off and have a sweet patina'd original paint 40. It would be a huge amount of work, but possibly less that the blast and paint. Even slightly rusted areas on the body and frame with original paint are better than painted over imo. That tells the whole truth and buyers will love that. Up to you, but once that original paint is gone, it is forever.

Wish I had the money at the moment, I'd be very interested like it is.

Who in all that is good would repaint an original green fj40 red?

Rant over, nice truck. Easy sale methinks
Just a though. If you blast the body and frame, you will be facing a huge amount of work to bring the value back up. If whoever painted it did not do any prep to the green, like sanding on it, it may be possible to strip that red off and have a sweet patina'd original paint 40. It would be a huge amount of work, but possibly less that the blast and paint. Even slightly rusted areas on the body and frame with original paint are better than painted over imo. That tells the whole truth and buyers will love that. Up to you, but once that original paint is gone, it is forever.

Wish I had the money at the moment, I'd be very interested like it is.

My main issue with the thing is that at some point somebody applied a coating to the frame that is just plain weird and with it here on the Oregon coast anything exposed will get eaten. I need to seal it.

I’ve ripped the whole thing apart, gone over it with degreasers and the pressure washer and just have the sandblaster to figure out how to work and I’m set. Definitely leaving no stone un turned and I’ve already done a ton of work so I’m on a sort of a mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom