4-Speed Input Shaft Assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for advice regarding the removal of the input shaft bearing. I've used a brass drift with a bit of heat on the case, nothing moved. The SOR 4-Speed Repair Manual describes an alternative, using a slide hammer. I'm up for trying that if you have a specific tool in mind that I can obtain.

Some useful info on home made tools in the link below.....

So, it is okay to pull the bearing by the inner race via the input shaft? I thought you would attach a slide hammer to the snapring groove on the outer race.

The snapring is not strong enough to pull from.

I remove the snapring and use a long jaw SST in the half circle holes to pull the bearing. My SST is OEM, but OTC makes one that will work.

The other option is to drive your trans over to a trans shop and pay them a few $$ to pull the bearings for you.

The other option is to drive your trans over to a trans shop and pay them a few $$ to pull the bearings for you.

I think this would be the best option ....... I've seen only one listing for the correct Toyota puller / slide hammer (SST 09910-00015), priced at around $180-.

Last edited:
So, I am unclear how the SST removes the bearing, pulling from the front, via the input shaft, or entire snapring groove?
I'm up for letting the professionals do it, but, I don't know why it would be any easier for them to make the move and not me? Would the transmission pros have seen more 4-speeds and have better tools than the Toyota service techs? I realize that the question might be best directed to the local Mud clubhouse.

^^^^ is the tool I purchased (initially to rebuild a sm465) but have used it on Toyota transmissions too. It has these machined lips on the end of the jaws that sit down into the snap ring grove on the bearing. Pulls them out like butter!

Because they will have tools you do not and they get PAID to do it..... 🆒

I've always heard it's poor Craftsman who blames his tools. Think more than just the tools not understanding what needs to be done to remove it is a reason to paid someone. In the picture I do not see the front bearing for the countershaft removed which should be done before trying to pull the input shaft. I know the FSM shows the countershaft bearing being removed first. Have the SOR manual which I think is just a copy of the FSM.

My question are you just trying to replace the input shaft bearing and skipping the steps in front of that?

No one was blaming their tools, but were lamenting the lack of the proper tools to do the job right.

MUD would be a boring place if it weren't for PO's using the wrong tools then current owners posting about the PO half ass doing something...! 🤣

Possibly, after all the transmission guy is working on gearboxes every day, the Toyota guy isn't.

I know I bought a four speed and transfer case for cheap for the difference of the cost shipping it back and the core charge. A Toyota dealer had bought and exchanged the T&T in a 78 FJ40 verses rebuilding the ones in the 40. Think finding a dealer who deals in manual transmission would be the way to go. Finding a Toyota dealer that has a mechanic who has worked on many H42 might be hard. Many of those mechanics are retired. In General Toyota sells mainly Automatic transmissions. Those any major work is a exchange with a remanufactured unit. Which is probably the reason why the dealer bought a used H42&T case with a warranty verses rebuilding it.

In the picture I do not see the front bearing for the countershaft removed which should be done before trying to pull the input shaft. I know the FSM shows the countershaft bearing being removed first. Have the SOR manual which I think is just a copy of the FSM.

My question are you just trying to replace the input shaft bearing and skipping the steps in front of that?
I bought the SOR manual after I started this project. The Haynes manual does not describe the order as outlined in the SOR manual. So, the frozen bearing might actually be a good thing.

The transmission appears to have been stored outside without a cover or a shifter to catch some of the airborne dust; Now that I got cover un-seized to shift thru all five gears, I'm just doing custodial plus replacing anything necessary. The spacer between the transmission and transfer has considerable wear, and the output shaft washer was a bit curved; the staked nuts on the output shaft and holding the brake drum were loose.

The truck came with a properly stored H42 and transfercase, but I'm up for a challenge, and I have free space on the bench where it is not so cold, or dark, and it is dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom