2005 LX470 - What do i need to get started? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I just bought a 2018 LX570 and was planning on selling my 2005 LX470. But i am the second owner of the 2005 and it only has 117,005 miles on it, so i am thinking about using it for off-roading. I just can’t bring myself to sell it, as it has been awesome for the last 10 years. Here are the two side-by-side:

What would i need to do at a minimum to the 2005 to get her ready for some easy off-roading here in Colorado? Maintenance is current and the timing belt is done. She runs and looks really good inside and out. The wife had to have the new one, so i figure it is a great way to get a toy going. It has Goodyear Wrangler tires right now.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Take off the chrome fake bull bar, remove running boards, the tires you have now is not too bad, but they're still more "on-road" focus. I say get some decent AT tires such as BFG K02, Toyo AT II or RT, Falkens, etc. Get an air compressor so you can air down for the trails. 17-22 PSI. That's about it.

You'll be amazed how capable the 100 is. BTW, super jelly, I want a 200 so bad.

Thanks guys. Figuring i will get a VIAIR compressor, remove the bull bar and running boards, and then give it a go. Then if the tires aren’t good enough, go for some 275/70/18 Ko2. Be into this for less than $1500.

Maybe go front bumper/winch down the road as the next upgrade.

You must have a dream life. From the pictures, that 2005 looks like it could be in a car show. I would rather keep it pristine than wheel it. I'd be tempted to buy a $1500 4x4 pickup and take it on the off road adventures. And I wouldn't take off that bull bar. Looks cool to me.

You must have a dream life. From the pictures, that 2005 looks like it could be in a car show. I would rather keep it pristine than wheel it. I'd be tempted to buy a $1500 4x4 pickup and take it on the off road adventures. And I wouldn't take off that bull bar. Looks cool to me.

Lol i wouldn’t say that. But the 2005 is in great shape. I did a multistage correction on the paint and she looks very good on the outside. Interior is excellent as well. No tearing on the seats or scratches anywhere. Museum piece lol! But...i either use it or sell it. I have it listed on autotrader right now for $25k. My thought is if i can’t get that out of it i will just keep it. But with the new LX here it needs to have a role. Because we live in Colorado just thinking some easy off-roading would be a cool new hobby.

I paid $33k for it 10 years ago. The dealer had this bull bar in the back and threw it in for free. $2k was cost back then. Serious high quality bar. Best vehicle i have ever owned. The new LX has some big shoes to fill. Feel bad to sell it tbh. It just feels like the sort of thing you keep. At the same token the thought of off-roading the new one seems dumb, at least right now.

If i do off-road her it will be easy stuff. Don’t want to beat it.

Congrats on the new rig, and the old one too! You do have some good options. As others have suggested you really only need to put some gas in her to do light trails, but even if you sold this rig (which I wouldn't) you can do light trails with the new one, tho I can see not wanting to slice a tire or scratch the paint on your wife's new pride and joy. Enjoy them and stick around!

Both are nice rigs, that 100 is clean dang...

It's a cruiser. Put some good tires on it and have fun!

Thanks. That is the plan!

Congrats on the new rig, and the old one too! You do have some good options. As others have suggested you really only need to put some gas in her to do light trails, but even if you sold this rig (which I wouldn't) you can do light trails with the new one, tho I can see not wanting to slice a tire or scratch the paint on your wife's new pride and joy. Enjoy them and stick around!

Thanks! Yeah going to be hard to part with it. They really don’t make them like that anymore.

If your in CO and at any type of elevation I wouldn't bother with the VIAR compressor. I have a PUMA, which is much bigger, and it takes forever to air up bigger tires at altitude. Closer to sea level it works great. In your area, I much prefer Co2

Thanks. Any product you recommend?

Both are nice rigs, that 100 is clean dang...

Thanks! She is a beauty. Pumped to start getting her ready to off-road, but going to go easy on the girl!

@robmypro any Co2 setup should get you going. I don't remember what the different weights of bottles are, but you will have as much into a workable air compressor as you will into a good Co2 setup. To me the speed of refill is worth it. I'm always lagging behind my buddy when we do our annual trips to CO and stop to refill tires at the end of the day.

Agree with everyone. Beautiful rides! I’ve had my 2001 for 4 years. The only things I’ve done are to remove the running boards and AT tires. Last year I added sliders. Last year was the first time I needed a winch. So I’ll add one this year.

I’ve done some hills that would amaze you.

As nice as your truck is I would leave the tires as is or change if you want a rugged look. If you leave them on, you’ll see it’s pretty damn capable. If your only doing easy stuff you can get away with leaving running boards on. If you want peace of mind thrown on sliders.

You will find that just tires [minimum 33”] will get you over/around almost anything.

Good luck and post up those new tires when they arrive. 😁

@robmypro any Co2 setup should get you going. I don't remember what the different weights of bottles are, but you will have as much into a workable air compressor as you will into a good Co2 setup. To me the speed of refill is worth it. I'm always lagging behind my buddy when we do our annual trips to CO and stop to refill tires at the end of the day.

Okay thanks!

Agree with everyone. Beautiful rides! I’ve had my 2001 for 4 years. The only things I’ve done are to remove the running boards and AT tires. Last year I added sliders. Last year was the first time I needed a winch. So I’ll add one this year.

I’ve done some hills that would amaze you.

As nice as your truck is I would leave the tires as is or change if you want a rugged look. If you leave them on, you’ll see it’s pretty damn capable. If your only doing easy stuff you can get away with leaving running boards on. If you want peace of mind thrown on sliders.

You will find that just tires [minimum 33”] will get you over/around almost anything.

Good luck and post up those new tires when they arrive. 😁

Thanks! What tire size would you recommend? Right now I am running Wrangler LT 275/70R-18.

There is no air up system faster then CO2 until you are out then you are SOL. If you are a traveler I would shy away from CO2 if you like airing down.

If it's only going to be an occasional wheeling rig, then (and I'm probably in the minority here) I'd go with the biggest most aggressive tires that fit (MTs or something) since you won't care about road manners. As others have said, get rid of the "damage multiplier" bullbar, running boards etc. You can do a winch without a bumper, if you want to maintain more of a stock look. Also look into the sensor lift options, if you want.

TBH, if you're going to have two trucks, I'd still sell that one, as it's really nice, and then buy an LX450 or something, modify it and wheel the ever-loving crap out of it however you want with no worries.

Last edited:
Okay thanks!

Thanks! What tire size would you recommend? Right now I am running Wrangler LT 275/70R-18.

Check the FAQ there should be a thread there on tire sizes. Enough info for a week of reading. :)

I went with 33's. I can get over pretty much anything and if i cant i go around. Thats a good balance of offroad performance, fuel, power and looks. Much larger and you will introduce added wear and tear on driveline parts and then your buying more options just to run those bigger tires.

You can run it the way it is and see how it handles. If you feel you need to 'try' more then necassary you can go for better AT tire. I previously had Mud Terrain and although they had an insane grip the noise was too much for me. I switched to General Tire ATx and just did a sick hill climb. Im VERY pleased with their on/off road performance. $600 shipped to my door. Check Ebay Discount Tire. All sorts of tire for great prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom