AC Compressor Bearing Replament (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning All,

Did a little off-roading yesterday and couple of smart guys pointed out i needed to replace the compressor bearing.

I found this old thread diagnosing what im hearing.

Any of you have the part number for the replacement bearing? Looking at the FSM it seems i can just replace this part. Anyone else done it? I think i should be bale to do this without removing the compressor.

Update:

Thanks!

Last edited:
The 4-Runner article linked in that thread lists a 30BGS10DST2 bearing. The clutch looks very similar, so Denso may use the same clutch/bearing for many different compressors. Original author suggests not to replace it with a chenesium bearing, because they don't last very long. If you can be without the vehicle for a few days, then you could pull the clutch first and check the bearing dimensions. If not, I would just go for it and order a 30BGS10DST2.

There probably is no Toyota part# as this is not a serviceable part.

[edit: corrected bearing number].

Last edited:
I kept searching for the bearing and found this part number in one of the mud forum threads. Can anyone confirm this will fit?

Nachi 593 30BGS10DST

Also, if it is a 6301 which one? :)
http://www.industrialbearings.com.au/uploads/catalogs/NACHIDeepGrooveBallBearingsB.pdf

Also found this one at autozone.

And this one:

Last edited:
The 4-Runner article linked in that thread lists a 6301 Nachi/NTN bearing. The clutch looks very similar, so Denso may use the same clutch/bearing for many different compressors. Original author suggests not to replace it with a chenesium bearing, because they don't last very long. If you can be without the vehicle for a few days, then you could pull the clutch first and check the bearing dimensions. If not, I would just go for it and order a 6301.

There probably is no Toyota part# as this is not a serviceable part.

6301 is the AC idler pulley bearing, not the AC clutch bearing.

@bucfl Why do you think the bearing is bad? Does it make a clicking noise when the AC is engaged? I was told my multiple forum members and a mechanic that the bearing couldn’t be replaced and that the compressor would have to be replaced. It’s been a year and I haven’t done it....just been running without the AC engaged. Super confused over my issue. I have heard so many different opinions (bearing can’t be replaced/bearing can be replaced/need to replace the compressor and have system flushed/need to replace both compressors) that I don’t even know what to do.

6301 is the AC idler pulley bearing, not the AC clutch bearing.

Correct. His vehicle takes the 2027 bearing.

Santech A/C Clutch Bearing

• Part Number: MT2027
  • Notes: 10PA20C compressor 30mm inner diameter x 52mm outer diameter x 22mm Thick
****But before I replaced just the bearing....I would remove the clutch and check the surfaces. A badly worn clutch would be a waste of time to work on, just replace it. IF in good condition...then yes, replace the bearing.

@sleepycruiser

Check thread #1. I posted a video. You can hear the pulley bearing making a grinding noise. The compressor should make a clicking type noise when engaging. If your ac is cold then the compressor is fine. They sell a clutch kit that can be installed without replacing the compressor. What is your symptom?

I think what i need is the 6301 idler pulley bearing, but i need confirmation.

Last edited:
All, i may be confused as to the part i need help with. I uploaded a video to show where the noise is coming from. Can you verify i need the compressor idler pulley bearing please?

@bucfl Why do you think the bearing is bad? Does it make a clicking noise when the AC is engaged? I was told my multiple forum members and a mechanic that the bearing couldn’t be replaced and that the compressor would have to be replaced. It’s been a year and I haven’t done it....just been running without the AC engaged. Super confused over my issue. I have heard so many different opinions (bearing can’t be replaced/bearing can be replaced/need to replace the compressor and have system flushed/need to replace both compressors) that I don’t even know what to do.

What are the 'symptoms' of your system that you are concerned about? A 'clicking' noise when the compressor engages is perfectly normal and is just the electromagnetic clutch engaging.

The magnetic clutch is a separate item from the compressor itself and is either serviceable or replaceable. Perhaps you misunderstood what others were telling you or got some bad information.

IF you have other issues with your compressor or A/C system, start a new thread and we will do what we can to help.

@sleepycruiser

Check thread #1. I posted a video. You can hear the pulley bearing making a grinding noise.

I think what i need is the 6301 idler pulley bearing, but i need confirmation.

The easiest way to isolate your suspected problem is to remove your serpentine belt and hand spin every rotating component it engages (Tensioner, Idler, Alternator, PS pump, A/C clutch). You will quickly find the culprit(s) this way. One exception: Internally you could have an A/C compressor issue that you won't be able to determine easily. But by a process of elimination....(nothing else found to be the problem) it would point to this.

Video noises are anyone's guess. It could be coming from external components or even something under the timing belt cover.

@flintknapper

Thanks buddy! I removed the serp belt and spun the compressor clutch and heard a grinding noise. I spun another pulley i had replaced 2 yrs ago and it was quite and smooth.

So i need this then?

• Notes: 10PA20C compressor 30mm inner diameter x 52mm outer diameter x 22mm Thick
@medtro Thank you sir.

@flintknapper

Thanks buddy! I removed the serp belt and spun the compressor clutch and heard a grinding noise. I spun another pulley i had replaced 2 yrs ago and it was quite and smooth.

So i need this then?

@medtro Thank you sir.

Yep, sounds like you have it sorted out. Check your clutch surfaces before planning on a bearing only replacement. If it is in good shape...then replace the bearing, set your air gap and you should be good to go.

@flintknapper

So i need this then?

@medtro Thank you sir.

i used that bearing on my 2000 LC and it worked great. I also ordered a japanese made NSK bearing (30BGS10DST) to keep as a backup since the Santech one is definitely a chinese bearing.

Good luck!

@bucfl @

Here is the thread I started last year. Since then I had a different mechanic look at it and said I should replace both units for front and rear AC otherwise it might break again. The AC cools fine....just makes the noise in the video I posted in the thread. I have just not been using the AC.

Yes 30x52x22 mm is the bearing used in the 97 4runner, 90 Hilux, and even on a 92 corolla. Glad toyota keeps the same bearing for their models.
Just get the bearing, buy never a Chinese. While I was out of the country I was able to source nsk Japanese bearing with same part number for like $10. Next time I should buy more of these.

Last edited:
@bucfl @

Here is the thread I started last year. Since then I had a different mechanic look at it and said I should replace both units for front and rear AC otherwise it might break again. The AC cools fine....just makes the noise in the video I posted in the thread. I have just not been using the AC.

Check your thread.

When searching for the NSK 30BGS10DST i come up with this site. Is this the correct one? Do you have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom