Deep cycle Marine batteries in BJ70? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of my Optima Red tops just died and I am looking to replace the pair in my 1987 BJ70 with 24volt system. This was my 2nd set of Optimas. First pair lasted 12 years, and this pair lasted only 8 years. Prior to that I used Toyota wet cell batteries which only lasted 5 years per set.

I am contemplating replacing with Deep cycle Marine batteries, group size 27, AGM. They are a perfect fit and they are substantially less cost. I'm looking at a pair on sale at $140 each.

Anyone have either experience or advise on the idea of marine batteries in a Land Cruiser?

You can use a marine battery, but, they are built for entirely different purposes as I am sure you know. But, they will happily start your truck. They are slower to recharge however if you run them way down winching or something. So, a little harder on your alternator.
If you got 8 years out of your Optimas, that is a freaking miracle. They have become just another junk battery in my experience and what you will get now isn't even as good as what you bought 8 years ago. I gave up on them when I realized I had about 1/2 a dozen of them laying around the shop that had gone bad in a short time.
I have gone to nothing but Oddysey batteries. They are not cheap, but far outperform any cheaper batteries on the market. I have never had one short or die, and have cranked many times at sub 11V conditions. For a battery I depend on, no way will I run anything else anymore. I have different batteries in my boat and other things and am not too surprised when they are dead even on a maintainer. All my vehicles are running Oddysey batteries and I have never regretted it once.

Anyone have either experience or advise on the idea of marine batteries in a Land Cruiser?

Basically, marine batteries are a hybrid of a deep cycle and a cranking battery designed to crank the engine and keep navigation lights and other small amp draw devices running.
Deep cycle batteries have thick plates to supply smaller amounts of amps over long periods and cranking batteries have thinner plates to provide the big jolt your starter needs to spin your engine into life. So the marine battery plates are somewhere in between a thick and a thin plate.
One advantage marine batteries have is they tend to be built stronger to handle the pounding in the open sea..
It all boils down to how many cranking amps you are getting for your buck

I run group 31 pin mounts from the local freighliner dealer, they are a little bigger than a group 27 but are designed with thick plates and for abuse in a semi, usually they are made by exide or interstate with a off brand on the top, have a set in my dually that are 11 years old and it sits for weeks at a time and always starts. same with my bobcat and fj40.. If you have the room they work really well, yes they are a lead acid battery but designed for commercial use..

optima was bought out and the quality went down, any good agm will work and last longer than the equilivant lead acid..

Well I decided to invest in an experiment to see if marine batteries will perform in a 24V BJ70. Bought 2 AGM Marine batteries last week from Bruce Willis (Diehard 1 and Diehard 2) and installed them after a slow 24 hour charge on each. So far, so good. I'll check back in 10 years down the road to let everyone know how they are doing.....:)

Diehard.1.2 copy.jpg

please do check in- I just put a pair of marine batteries in my HJ60 and Im curious to see how long they go. Hopefully in 10 years this will be of use to somebody. (i did a fair bit of searching MUD on this topic, A number of people have done it but I was unable to find longterm results...)

These are probably a good investment if you want to run a car fridge occasionally.

Update on Diehard Marine AGM batteries. ONE DIED IN JANUARY after only 6 months of use. I got a totally free replacement and I hope it does better.

I’ve had good luck with a marine starting battery from Lowe’s. Deka Group 24M7. 800CCA, 1000 CA @32, and 130 minute reserve. $107+tax. Just ordered another to put in my wife’s Outback to replace that pathetic excuse for a battery that’s in there.

Update on Diehard Marine AGM batteries. ONE DIED IN JANUARY after only 6 months of use. I got a totally free replacement and I hope it does better.
Do you have a center tap for 12 volt components?

I've run Dual Purpose Marine/RV batteries in my BJ74. Can't say they have lasted longer then conventional starting batteries, as the 1st set lasted 6 years or so. However they did not have the easiest life as they were run down a few times by leaving the 24-12v converter hooked up and the vehicle not being run, as well as once down to under 1.0V when I had loaned out the truck and the glow relay stuck on. The batteries lasted about a year past that experience. Plenty of cranking amps and I like the more robust design the thicker plates are supposed to give. I've also have a pair of 27 series DP batteries in the 80 which it kitted out for travel and camping, with fridge/freezer.

Are you checking each battery with a voltmeter to see what each resting voltage is and also what voltage each battery is charging at after it's been running for a while. I have no complaints about the 24V system but it does take more management with the batteries. Rule of thumb that I have heard time and time again over the years is to ensure as much as possible batteries are replaced as a set, identical in series and date of manufacture. This is so the charge characteristics are as close to the same as possible, otherwise uneven charging will result. It's not a show stopper and you may well be fine, but it's something to be aware of and track/monitor by either running two voltage readouts into the cab or checking each battery on a regular basis for a bit (at resting voltage and after running for a bit).

If I am not going to be running a vehicle for a while I now typically hook up a charger so they are maintained. I had an interesting experience with batteries in series last year that were purchased at the same time.

hth's
gb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom