Riddle me this. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FIrst time poster, long time browser.

So here is the riddle: Cold starts yes, warm starts no, but if you feather my key away I go.

Problem- Warm/hot starts, I mean 5 min, lukewarm starts. Will crank but will not start. Not every time, I wanna say 80% wont start when warm. Cold starts no problemo.

Solution- A quick turn of the ignition, just enough to engage starter, then back, then start normally. Starts every time. But only quick turn, if you crank and crank, stop and then try to start, no start.

Truck- 88FJ62, PO installed man-a-fre "FIREPOWER IGNITION KIT", I replaced FPR, pulsation dampener, new fuel filter, and cleaned throttle body(thanks guys).

Nothing solved the initial problem of warm starts. Searched and searched on Mud and 3fe yahoo group. Note, I am not a gearhead, bolts snap, screws strip, and knuckles bleed, when I start wrenching. So i stopped reading when the fuel pressure gauges where busted out.

The truck runs fantastic, never stalls, runs/idles smooth right @650 or 750 i forget which. Horrid mpg; 9-10, but I live in San Francisco, not too worried about that.

My mechanic, says the initial turn cycles the relays, then they are primed for the "real" start. He's Irish and been known to tell a fanciful tale now and then, you know how the Irish are great storytellers.

So what I want to know is, is ^ this the case?

Should I just be happy I can get it to start every time or is it a symptom of a problem that can be fixed?

Does anyone else have to do this?

Sounds like theft protection!

Dyno

Dyno- :lol: I like that. Mine starts too easily. Better get to fixin' it.

I would pull the plugs out and check them. Gap, color, etc.

Other than that it sounds interesting. Definitely unusual though.

you sure its not vapor lock? your carb fan works?

you sure its not vapor lock? your carb fan works?

It's a 62, no carb.

Sounds to me like maybe the ignition switch is failing

Oh, you mean ignition on the steering column. I think that is fine, it always turns the starter...

OMG,Do i have a carb fan? I thought EFI=no carb; ergo no carb fan?

Shoot, Im already into what the fluck territory.

sorry i looked but didnt see it was a 62

You have some good cruiser shops near you (one hour or less). Gary at Mudrak in Sonoma and Georg at Valley Hybrids in Stockton.
I have a 62 and a 60. Both have cooling fans for the manifolds and on the 60 it cools the carb too. My 62s ignition is so won the key comes out once it is running, convenient when warming up the car in Tahoe and locking the doors!
Good Luck

I have an fj80 with the 3fe and am having exactly the same issue with warm starting and the starter bump got me going thanks for the tip RMUTT2017. As for the cause I am going to replace the EFI and see if that solves the problem. There didnt seem to be a consensus on what the root of the issue was, Did you solve the problem?

Install a fuel pressure gauge. I would never want an efi system to be without one. If you need 60lbs and your getting 3o
you probably won't start. It a cheap diagnostic, invaluable when the truck just dies for no reason whether it's a dirty fuel
filter, bad fuel pump or any fuel related issue, the gauge eliminates one of the two most common no start issues, fuel and spark.
Diagnosing any problem starts with eliminating the obvious

Install a fuel pressure gauge. I would never want an efi system to be without one. If you need 60lbs and your getting 3o
you probably won't start. It a cheap diagnostic, invaluable when the truck just dies for no reason whether it's a dirty fuel
filter, bad fuel pump or any fuel related issue, the gauge eliminates one of the two most common no start issues, fuel and spark.
Thank You for the 'sponsored content" was more looking into the cause of the actual problem in the thread which never quite got resolved. As opposed to a shot in the dark.

It’s a 5 year old thread. If your new here on mud then you might not realize simply commenting on a thread that ‘old’ won’t always cue the OP into responding.
@lcwizard is a wise mudder. I wouldn’t knock his suggestions.
Having a 25-30 vehicle involves lots of trial and error. The chance of a simple fix is rare. Always best to start small w/ the easiest diagnostic tests.

Thank You for the 'sponsored content" was more looking into the cause of the actual problem in the thread which never quite got resolved. As opposed to a shot in the dark.

I guess if I sold Autometer or other gauges it could be said it was "sponsored content". I was actually serious about the gauge. If you take your truck to a mechanic it would be one of the first things he does. What you are experiencing could be a number of things so eliminating one at
a time is the only way to diagnose it. Say your truck pulls to the right. One of the first things to do is check for low pressure in the right tires.
Then move on to the next. You can hope for miracle answer but in the end you'll probably have to do a little diagnostics. One truck with a
rough idle may have a vacuum leak at the intake while next has the same condition with a bad brake booster and the next just an injector
plugged or puddling.

You just dug yourself a deep hole...and you have no rope, no ladder and no nearby friend. Good luck.

Man you have no idea...but this has nothing to do with landcruisers been trying to figure out why a 2003 ford expedition was throwing bank lean 1 and bank lean 2 at the same time vacuum leak first suspect nope fuel filter (external) o2 sensors maf sensor nope checked the fuel pressure duh its at 20psi at idle and drops crazy that it would even run with that low of psi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom