FJ62 Manual conversion parts wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am starting a manual conversion for my 89 FJ62. I am looking for parts and wondered if anyone had used parts, or if you know of anyone close that does. I am in Atlanta, and am looking for either a late (86, 867) H42 or a H55, transfer case, 3F bell housing, cross member, pedal bucket, etc. I am mainly looking for a H42 at this point due to cost, but if there is a used one out there I might be able to stretch for it. Any advice would be appreciated.
And if anyone wants to help with the conversion, I would be more than happy to let you! First time I am going to try something like this, and any advice is appreciated!
Andrew

ACC will probably be able to help you with some of those, but there is a 85 fj60 part out on craigslist right now that will get you some of the stuff you need. toyota fj40 and fj60 parts

I am in the Atlanta area and would love to help.
I am in the middle of doing the same thing to my 88, it is an on and off again project with an engine rebuild that has been going on for years... I have replaced my pedal bucket, so I have experience doing that... and I have a ton of fabricating experience and general cruiser experience.. Message me and let me know when you are thinking about getting started. I am looking for a job and do not know what my future availability will be, but will try to help you.

As far as parts, if you cannot find them local, try Cruiserparts.net has put together a "kit" for just this purpose and it seems like a fair price.
There are not any cruiser junkyards in Ga that I know of.
cruisercorps in Oklahoma?
cruiseryard in tx
cruiserparts in the NE
sigfridandsons in the upper midwest

ACC will probably be able to help you with some of those, but there is a 85 fj60 part out on craigslist right now that will get you some of the stuff you need. toyota fj40 and fj60 parts

Thanks, I have a email in to ACC, but have not heard back yet. I had not seen the CL ad (thank you for that), just replied to that. Hopefully I hear back.

I am in the Atlanta area and would love to help.
I am in the middle of doing the same thing to my 88, it is an on and off again project with an engine rebuild that has been going on for years... I have replaced my pedal bucket, so I have experience doing that... and I have a ton of fabricating experience and general cruiser experience.. Message me and let me know when you are thinking about getting started. I am looking for a job and do not know what my future availability will be, but will try to help you.

As far as parts, if you cannot find them local, try Cruiserparts.net has put together a "kit" for just this purpose and it seems like a fair price.
There are not any cruiser junkyards in Ga that I know of.
cruisercorps in Oklahoma?
cruiseryard in tx
cruiserparts in the NE
sigfridandsons in the upper midwest

I will probably take you up on the help when I am ready, hopefully this month sometime. I have sent parts queries out to most of the places you mention. Exception being cruiserparts.net (have heard a lot of bad stories about them), and sigfridandsons (never heard of them, will look them up).

Good luck on the job hunt!

Andrew

My advice is make sure all your bellhousing/pedal bucket/ crossmember/clutch hydraulics match. As you may know everything is divided into 81-84 and 85-87. For example all my parts were 81-84. It just makes life easier down the road when you know to order anything clutch related for an 86, or an 83. The clutch master mount is different, so the pedal bucket has to match the clutch master, the slave is different, etc

My advice is make sure all your bellhousing/pedal bucket/ crossmember/clutch hydraulics match. As you may know everything is divided into 81-84 and 85-87. For example all my parts were 81-84. It just makes life easier down the road when you know to order anything clutch related for an 86, or an 83. The clutch master mount is different, so the pedal bucket has to match the clutch master, the slave is different, etc

Matt,
Thanks for that. That is what I am understanding about the conversion. Also I have been told that I should look for the late 85-87 H42 as it is the same length as an H55, in order to make that swap easier if I ever want to do that.
Andrew

@Bama4door did this on his old 62 a few years ago. Perhaps he can chime in on his experience. The extension housing (late 42) is the same length as a h55 and would make a 5spd swap easier later on if you can find one.

Those guys are spot on about what year you get your parts from.
RE cruiserparts, I have had good experiences with them (I have not ordered much from them), and as you said some people have had bad...

Also, if @FJ60Cam has any upcoming LS swaps lined up at Mosley Motors, he might have some parts you could use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom