The best Headlight bulb on the market today. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone do HIDs in just their high beam spots?

I have the HIR bulbs in my low beams and it was a pleasant upgrade.

I’m just wondering about say a 55W 4,300K high beam only HID bulb install. Just lots of light, no worried about on and off times as I don’t use them that much but with the price of a DDM or Xenon depot kit I may do it. No concerns about reflector design as it’s the high beam.

I started looking at LEDs too but by the time you get a “quality” set in a USEFULL color temp your spending more than an HID set would run me.

Anyone know if a 9005/9006 Silverstar Ultra combo will outperform a Standard 9011/9012 combo?

9011 lamps are pretty much regular version only.

Anyone know if a 9005/9006 Silverstar Ultra combo will outperform a Standard 9011/9012 combo?

9011 lamps are pretty much regular version only.

I cannot see how a standard halogen bulb would outperform a HIR bulb. The 9011/9012 are all HIR as I understand it. HIR is as high an output as you will find in halogens.

Just completed replacement of 9005 with Philips 9011 and 9006 with Sylvania 9012. Low beams are noticeably brighter. Got all four bulbs from Amazon for under $87. Mods to tabs were easy with the directions. Well worth it! I hope the 9011s last for a while.

HIR are the best light output for the money and time invested. Just my opinion but I’m geeky about lights and they plain work.

Just completed replacement of 9005 with Philips 9011 and 9006 with Sylvania 9012. Low beams are noticeably brighter. Got all four bulbs from Amazon for under $87. Mods to tabs were easy with the directions. Well worth it! I hope the 9011s last for a while.

In my experience, they won't last as long as a standard halogen. I would still use them though. They are far superior to standard halogens.

I usually just bought an extra low beam and kept it in the packaging in the glove box.

Anyone do HIDs in just their high beam spots?

I have the HIR bulbs in my low beams and it was a pleasant upgrade.

I’m just wondering about say a 55W 4,300K high beam only HID bulb install. Just lots of light, no worried about on and off times as I don’t use them that much but with the price of a DDM or Xenon depot kit I may do it. No concerns about reflector design as it’s the high beam.

I started looking at LEDs too but by the time you get a “quality” set in a USEFULL color temp your spending more than an HID set would run me.

If you're talking about just putting a HID bulb and not a projector....the LED bulb is a better option as they are instant on..HID's need to warm up and you won't have to install a harness and ballast. The LED bulb plug right in to the factory high beam connector

I used to have the Silverstar bulbs in my 2001. At their best they would only last 6 months tops and cost more than the standard halogen bulbs. I installed an HID kit instead and ran it for a long time before one of the ballasts went bad. I went back to halogen for a couple years, but just last weekend installed a new set of HIDs.
I liked the silverstar bulbs, but got tired of spending $80 per year to keep them.

HIDs on stock reflectors are a bad idea. If you want a proper HID setup, you need to install a projector. As said above.

I've never had the chance to try HIRs as I dont have 9006 on my car I have H4.

However. I've had amazing results with Osram Nightbreakers. The difference between OEM or other regular bulbs is impressively noticeable, on both high and low beams. I squeezed about 3 years out of the old version bulb and now have the new one, even when I had read that the lifespan of these bulbs was very short, that is very liveable. The new version (currently installed) is supposed to last much longer. Output and light color is great and you dont have to modify harness or change the wattage of the bulbs to get better lighting. I strongly recommend them.

I see this is a 2013 post - do you still run these? How is the life span now?

I used to have the Silverstar bulbs in my 2001. At their best they would only last 6 months tops and cost more than the standard halogen bulbs. I installed an HID kit instead and ran it for a long time before one of the ballasts went bad. I went back to halogen for a couple years, but just last weekend installed a new set of HIDs.
I liked the silverstar bulbs, but got tired of spending $80 per year to keep them.

Wow! Six months?

Thanks for this. I’ll stick with standard bulbs.

I see this is a 2013 post - do you still run these? How is the life span now?

Yes, I still use these on my vehicles. Lifespan is a good 3 years per bulb still, maybe a bit more, which is a lot in my book.

I've used pretty much every generation of Nightbreaker there is: Nightbreakers, NB Plus, NB Ultra and now have the NB Laser in my wife's car. All have been great, haven't noticed much of a difference between the latest generations, but they've all been very good lights, with solid output and IMO good lifespan for the money.

Holy #*@^ 16 pages... limited reference to year, LC vs LX... Can I ask a favor of someone who's been in this thread since start? Can I get the Cliff's Notes? I need good bulbs for my 2006 LC. Thanks!

Is there any reason not to buy the Sylvania 9006 SilverStar Ultra bulbs? These: https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Sil...29-89-1-0&sr=1-7&ymm=2006:toyota:land+cruiser

I have a light out, and they can be here tomorrow.

Also, most of these kits refer to "2-packs" but don't specify that one is Left and one is Right. I know - seems like a dumb question... Does that implies one per side, not two Left or two Right... ? The simple fact that Toyota spec'ed a Left and Right bulb at all has me asking dumb questions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
HIR are the best light output for the money and time invested. Just my opinion but I’m geeky about lights and they plain work.

Any specific ones? Model #'s? Thanks

Low Beams - 9006
9006 LED Headlight Kit | 9006 LED Fog Light Upgrade

High Beams - 9005
9005 LED Headlight Kit | 9005 LED high beam Upgrade

I've been running these (older version's) in both my Landcruiser (highs & lows) and Lexus CT200h (lows & fogs) for years. Love the color, much better light output and have had zero issues. Sign up for their emails, they have sales all the time. These are a few bucks more then the knock offs on amazon & ebay. If you have a question or problem you can just pick up the phone. One of my favorite mods that gets used all the time.

I was also able to modify my middle light to run a large LED bulb and have switch-out LED turn signal bulbs. It looks sick and performs much better. It might be a little bright but nothing like the HID's that are blinding people.

So... if you're running Lows that are much brighter, aren't you constantly having oncoming drivers flash their lights at you? Even stock lows on a lifted truck get the occasional flash.

Landcruisers have a stinkbug stance, nose down. Lifted or stock, nose is always pointed down. I have been flashed at twice while stopped. Both times I was at an intersection where the fronted was pointed up due to the road curvature. Stock lights can be blinding when pointed right at you too.

Also, most of these kits refer to "2-packs" but don't specify that one is Left and one is Right. I know - seems like a dumb question... Does that implies one per side, not two Left or two Right... ? The simple fact that Toyota spec'ed a Left and Right bulb at all has me asking dumb questions.

Bulbs have no orientation as far as side goes, it can go in either the right or left side.

So... if you're running Lows that are much brighter, aren't you constantly having oncoming drivers flash their lights at you? Even stock lows on a lifted truck get the occasional flash.

Light aiming is just as important as output. Brighter lights are no use if they're not properly aimed. Even cheap, low-output bulbs will blind incoming traffic if improperly aimed. If you lift your vehicle, you have to compensate by aiming. If you level your vehicle, you have to compensate by aiming.

If you change your bulbs for brighter ones, as long as they're the right bulbs for the specific housing, you shouldn't have a different beam pattern, just an increase in output (brightness)

Very happy, under five minutes to install and only $50 out of pocket. See picture below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom