FJ40 front end on Wrangler JK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the opportunity to buy a 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK that has had the front end wrecked. Rather than build it back with the plastic fenders, I'd like to build it with FJ 40 grill, fenders and hood. Either metal or a fiberglass front clip.

Has anyone heard of or seen a project like this? Any advice on how to do it? I already have a restored 1971 FJ 40, but this would be a daily driver. Thanks!

Screenshot_20190110-140546_Facebook.jpg

IMG_1926.PNG

Last edited:
Anything can be done if your pockets are deep enough (unless you can do that work yourself). I've seen a JK with a XJ Cherokee front clip on it, and a JK with a Gladiator front clip. Never seen one with an FJ40 front.

It will look like a "want a FJ40 but cannot afford it". Rebuild the JK with original parts, it is a good car.

Triple.
The connection is today so slow and i am impatient.

Yesterday somebody joked about Mr. Trump and i laughed loud. Hope that is not the reason for my todays bad internet.

Last edited:
I have the tools, facilities and skills to do the job. I have restored a lot of classics and have a few old cars in the garage. I'm looking for a reliable daily driver, but like the style of the classics. As far as looking like I can't afford an FJ, this build would cost more than both of the FJ40s I have restored combined. To me, the Jeep JK looks like a cheap attempt at an FJ with plastic fenders. I only posted here wondering if anyone with experience had recommendations.

Do it!

Anything can be done if your pockets are deep enough (unless you can do that work yourself). I've seen a JK with a XJ Cherokee front clip on it, and a JK with a Gladiator front clip. Never seen one with an FJ40 front.

IMG_6425__88256.1501796481.JPG

Yep, better to stay within the brand and do something that ends up with value. No matter what it costs to do it, a JK with an FJ front end will end up being a bastard red-headed stepchild...

At least one person has done something similar.

Is this an Fj40?

It will look like a "want a FJ40 but cannot afford it".

As far as looking like I can't afford an FJ, this build would cost more than both of the FJ40s I have restored combined.

I think this is the dilemma. No matter how much money and time you have into it, it's going to look like something that was Frankensteined together and be worth less than either of the donor vehicles in stock form. It kinda reminds me of this Jeep

CJ-7/DJ-5/Wagoneer Custom Jeep Long Beach, CA $29,999

I've seen this jeep for sale for years now, I don't doubt he probably has at least $30k in time and money into the build. It's just that nobody is going to ever give him that much. If you can afford it, then go for it. I'm curious how you're going to get things lined up correctly. The taper of the FJ40 ends behind the doors, while jeeps end the taper in front of the doors, so it'll be interesting how they would look combined

No matter how much money and time you have into it, it's going to look like something that was Frankensteined together and be worth less than either of the donor vehicles in stock form. It kinda reminds me of this Jeep

CJ-7/DJ-5/Wagoneer Custom Jeep Long Beach, CA $29,999

I’m all for practical classics, but duck-tapeguy (you tape ducks??) nailed it here. No matter how good a job you do, it will always be a contraption with little to no value to anyone else. If you want to do it, and keep it literally forever, then give ‘er. If resale even enters your mind in any way, I’d do something else. Maybe do a complete vintage body swap onto the JK chassis?

I can’t figure out why buddy is having a hard time getting rid of his frankenjeep? If I were closer, I’d take his $29,999 to haul it away to the scrapyard... :grinpimp:

I’ll add that the Gladiator JK posted above is kind of cool, but I’d only do that if the rest of the Gladiator (cab back) was dead. Otherwise, the money put into the swap would be far better spent restoring the actual Gladiator.

I’ll add that the Gladiator JK posted above is kind of cool, but I’d only do that if the rest of the Gladiator (cab back) was dead. Otherwise, the money put into the swap would be far better spent restoring the actual Gladiator.

It's a conversion kit: JK Gladiator Conversion

No other body kit merges classic old-school styling on a newer vehicle than the Gladiator Conversion from Chris Durham Motorsports. Taking inspiration from the classic full-size Jeep trucks of the 1960s and early 70s, we have developed a kit that completely transforms the look of the modern JK while keeping all mechanical components stock and intact. The conversion consists of a restyled hood, grille, and leading fender edges; the factory fenders, cowl, windshield, headlights, core support, and much more are retained. Even the factory JK hood hinges and latches remain intact.

If it floats your boat do it, life is too short, but resale value may indeed take a hit, and resale is a big plus for Wranglers. (I trust you made sure that the frame is not tweaked or that you can handle that yourself.)

Just wanted to post this here. There is a user on instagram that did and FJ40 front clip swap on a jeep TJ. I personally think its pretty darn cool. The FJ40 front styling is 2nd to none, and to have some of the modern comforts of the jeep would be cool. If i ever get bored of working in my actual FJ40’s, i will be doing something similar but with more land cruiser parts underneath!

A49CC2E2-D5FD-40DA-85F3-BFD82F51735A.png
7A51F407-8A98-48E0-A58C-30C789BA0EDD.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom