RODa'M: Pappy's 1985 4Runner Deluxe (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is that water jug pretty beefy? I was looking at one and was wondering if the $58 price was really justified.

Well, the evolution continues. I've been working on making things more efficient in the back of the truck. Still a pain with no back doors, but I'm making it work.

I spent some time redoing my rear bumper. I'm sure there are pics someplace here of the before. In a nutshell, I cut off the gas can carrier that was flush to the bumper and mounted a gas can carrier that is perpendicular to the bumper. That gave me room to mount my propane bottle. The gas can mount came from 4x4 Innovations, and the propane bracket from Power Tank. I had to get creative with the license plate since the strap that holds the can in place was hinged low. The plate was mounted onto a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal, welded to a spring loaded door hinge. That way I can drop the license plate and unhinge the gas can strap. Next will be a fold up table on the back side of the spare so I can hook my propane bottle to the stove directly. That bottle is an 11#r. A buddy is going to sell me his 5# bottle which I think will work better.

Well, where's the big update?? :)

Ha, forgot. The roof top tent. It's an Autohome Columbus Small XL (for extra long). A perfect size for the Gen1. Unlike many hard shell RTTs that are 54" wide, this one is only 50". I don't have a pic from the wilds yet, but I also sold my ARB awning and bought a Rhino Rack 270 Batwing.

Last edited:
Nice work and great rig you have there sir! The ‘85’s are getting damn hard to find.

Do you have a link to the rack rails you have on your hard top? Did you have to do anything specific to put those on?

Do you have a link to the rack rails you have on your hard top? Did you have to do anything specific to put those on?
Are you talking about these? They are Yakima Widebody mounts. On the mount between the windows they are bolted through. The fiberglass is single wall in that location. On the rear mount the fiberglass is double wall. I used rivet nuts made for plastic/fiberglass.

Yakima 1A on Wide body-sm.jpg

Are you talking about these? They are Yakima Widebody mounts. On the mount between the windows they are bolted through. The fiberglass is single wall in that location. On the rear mount the fiberglass is double wall. I used rivet nuts made for plastic/fiberglass.

View attachment 2414738

That's pretty neat. I've been looking for some sort of solution to put a rack on mine but I can never come up with anything that seems to fit the bill.

That's pretty neat. I've been looking for some sort of solution to put a rack on mine but I can never come up with anything that seems to fit the bill.
Just don't use the "rails" on the fiberglass top. They are not structural. You will bust them off.

I used Yakima 1A towers and load bars, only because I already had them. I would not use them for a RT. At some point I'm going to get a crowbar in my wallet and get the Rhinorack heavy duty bars and towers. The reason? It has to do with the way the load bars mount to the towers. There is a projection off the 1A tower that digs into the floor of the tent. I had to space my bars with PVC pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom