Specifics on '97 exhaust replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys have an opinion on high temp paint vs ceramic coating for the y-pipe. My main concern is long-term rust prevention. Figured it may be worth dropping the money to have it professionally coated when it's new vs worrying about rust repairs down the road.

I did the exact set up you listed in your first post. My manifolds were fine but I replaced with dormans, they werent very expensive. Magnaflow Y and i think I used two magnaflow cats, oem oxy sensors, oem gaskets and hardware, then bosal cat back. I hacked the resonator off and welded a tip on. Its quiet and the whole system is pretty solid, have had it about 10 months. I wouldnt bother painting any of it, it should last for many years before it falls apart. Had what I believe was stock before that, lasted a while. If you want I can take some pictures of what I did and the exact parts I used.

I did the exact set up you listed in your first post. My manifolds were fine but I replaced with dormans, they werent very expensive. Magnaflow Y and i think I used two magnaflow cats, oem oxy sensors, oem gaskets and hardware, then bosal cat back. I hacked the resonator off and welded a tip on. Its quiet and the whole system is pretty solid, have had it about 10 months. I wouldnt bother painting any of it, it should last for many years before it falls apart. Had what I believe was stock before that, lasted a while. If you want I can take some pictures of what I did and the exact parts I used.
That would be awesome, actually. I'd love to see what yours looks like.

THe Mangnaflow 23120 Non-Carb Y-Pipe is made of 409SS. This is the same material that the factory exhaust was made from.

409SS will rust to a point, then stop. It is a less expensive grade of SS, but is ideal for exhaust and withstands the heat well.

Do not NEED to paint, but can ceramic coat to transfer heat down the exhaust stream.

To be honest the ceramic coating idea was born from seeing my current exhaust and how rusted it is. It's not falling off the truck or anything (not yet) but it's definitely showing it's 22 years of use. Thought maybe getting the important parts coated might keep the cancer away and make the parts less likely to hold dirt and muck when the vehicle gets driven offroad. I don't know if that's a valid thought though because I don't have any experience with ceramic coating.

That would be awesome, actually. I'd love to see what yours looks like.

Will take some photos later tonight.

I spent:
$260 on the magnaflow y with cat,
$128 on bosal 228-241 muffler,
$90 bosal 228-243 tailpipe + silencer,
$207 magnaflow 23622 cat,
$50 denso 234-4153 oxy,
$53 denso 234-4157 oxy,
$5 bosal 256-708 gasket,

total $793. Paid a shop 160 to install it all because i didnt have time.

overall am happy with it but i never added up all the costs, so now I am average happy with it.

Nighttime makes it looks very rusty with flash. I went to Vermont last weekend during the storm so the road salt is showing.

E58A5F8A-986E-49B2-8F60-F77D4F03EB30.jpeg

0614EF57-6FCB-4A27-97EE-A8D596FC7050.jpeg

8E37C7D3-E21C-4F10-B7BC-164DF3B50701.jpeg

E7A27A9D-DE02-4285-A92E-5F9AF617C438.jpeg

06C9EC0C-633E-4EA8-94BE-252532987326.jpeg

Thanks! I really appreciate the pictures! So you've been happy with it so far? No codes, no issues? How's the sound?

No codes, no leaks, good power bump from my old rattle mess of an exhaust. Its very quiet. Comparing apples to oranges but my 06 tahoe with stock exhaust is much louder. I do have MT tires so much of the noise driving is that but I enjoy this setup, I think you would too unless you want something louder. Would recommend cutting the tailpipe above resonator unless you have stock bumper.

No codes, no leaks, good power bump from my old rattle mess of an exhaust. Its very quiet. Comparing apples to oranges but my 06 tahoe with stock exhaust is much louder. I do have MT tires so much of the noise driving is that but I enjoy this setup, I think you would too unless you want something louder. Would recommend cutting the tailpipe above resonator unless you have stock bumper.
I have a Slee rear bumper so I will probably cut the tailpipe if I use the Bosal parts.

@sxp - What's the name of the shop that did your custom job?
Whaler - Who did your installation?
I'm in need of some exhaust work myself and fairly new to the NE area.

@sxp - What's the name of the shop that did your custom job?
Whaler - Who did your installation?
I'm in need of some exhaust work myself and fairly new to the NE area.

Some random shop in Stamford CT. I think theres a couple of really good exhaust shops in Brooklyn NY though if thats where you are closest too. Honestly, it wasn't rocket science, everything bolts together. I had a business meeting so I dropped it off and was done in a few hours. The toughest part is removing rusted hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom