Patrol Pictures (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the Cristo de la Concordia:

January%252010%252C%25202013%2520016%2520smudged.jpg

I was in Guatemala a couple of years ago and fell in love with patrols. I wish I could get one here in the US...

Heres my lwb 1990 gq patrol with td42 turbo.

On 35" mud tyres with 2" spring lift, 2" body lift. And lots of other bits and pieces.

I have plans to add some barwork soon, do a rear quarter chop and the list grows all the time.

C451DAC4-172A-4E63-959A-5DF8455E98B0-204-0000001824CBE02D.jpg

70D69484-3CFB-4FFA-B1C1-49CD99FBDA21-204-00000017F7D821E9.jpg

Hi all, I'm coming over from the 200 section, had my 2012 LC for almost 5 years and clocked over 200k kms. I got a 2016 Y61 patrol as a replacement and I'm over the moon with it. What surprised me is how similar it felt to my defender. Hope to be sharing some of my adventures with the patrol on this side of mud.

20170225_155616-01.jpeg
20170225_155601-01.jpeg
20170225_155458-01.jpeg

2016 Y61, 4.8L I6, Beige Ext./Grey cloth Interior, 5 spd manual, manual front/rear ac, diff lock, sunroof & cool box.

1991 firetruck with 2600 miles. TB42, five speed, rear PTO. Also has leaf spring front and rear with a right hand offset rear axle. As far as I can tell the fire trucks are kind of a mixture between the GQ and the MK. Time to get a plan for removing the pumper and building a rear tray.

B1E03EB6-5D25-4D55-9F7F-564774E09D85.jpeg

AE463B1F-3FC2-4953-A8B9-8300B4F6B794.png

411EA6F1-6EF1-437C-8931-D8F276898069.jpeg

For a while I wanted to start a thread about importing a diesel 4x4 (or simply buying one already imported).
Not going into the details of California legalities, we have a different thread for that.

There are a few obvious choices here. Patrol Y60, 80 diesel, Prado diesel, 70 series (73 to be more specific).

In Chit-Chat section I might end up with pictures of wild life if I get this thread going, so I want to ask the opinion of the actual owners of Patrols. It's pretty obvious the Land Cruiser crowd will always say "get a Toyota", so there is not much to expect from them in an objective manner.

Most of you here have or have had both Nissan and Toyota.

Why should I not get a Patrol, again Y60 - 2 door preferably?

I know the engine choice leaves a lot to desire. 2.8 has no power and the 4.2 lacks a blower - has no power.
But lots a people added turbos to their 4.2 engines.
Other diesel engine swaps are available and plentiful.

I already have a FJ80, but looking more at a daily driver type. Been driving a powerful diesel for 7 years already. I know the Patrol will never come close in terms of power to what I am used to right now, but it's also a big car and by no means a sports car.

I am aware of the BMW diesel engine swaps in EU and that is one thing to consider too. I already have a donor. :)

Parts availability is probably on everyone's radar here in US, but the internet can solve that problem quickly. Yes there will be shipping charges, I know.

For a while I wanted to start a thread about importing a diesel 4x4 (or simply buying one already imported).
Not going into the details of California legalities, we have a different thread for that.

There are a few obvious choices here. Patrol Y60, 80 diesel, Prado diesel, 70 series (73 to be more specific).

In Chit-Chat section I might end up with pictures of wild life if I get this thread going, so I want to ask the opinion of the actual owners of Patrols. It's pretty obvious the Land Cruiser crowd will always say "get a Toyota", so there is not much to expect from them in an objective manner.

Most of you here have or have had both Nissan and Toyota.

Why should I not get a Patrol, again Y60 - 2 door preferably?

I know the engine choice leaves a lot to desire. 2.8 has no power and the 4.2 lacks a blower - has no power.
But lots a people added turbos to their 4.2 engines.
Other diesel engine swaps are available and plentiful.

I already have a FJ80, but looking more at a daily driver type. Been driving a powerful diesel for 7 years already. I know the Patrol will never come close in terms of power to what I am used to right now, but it's also a big car and by no means a sports car.

I am aware of the BMW diesel engine swaps in EU and that is one thing to consider too. I already have a donor. :)

Parts availability is probably on everyone's radar here in US, but the internet can solve that problem quickly. Yes there will be shipping charges, I know.

I'd be all over a shorty if it had the 4.2. No, not a powerhouse, but strong enough in my LWB.

The last time I was in the US, I went from my Y60 to an FZJ80 for 8 months and then back to my Patrol. I couldn't say which one I liked better, honestly. My girls said the back seat had better leg room in the Land Cruiser, but that would be a different animal in an SWB.

I'd be all over a shorty if it had the 4.2. No, not a powerhouse, but strong enough in my LWB.

The last time I was in the US, I went from my Y60 to an FZJ80 for 8 months and then back to my Patrol. I couldn't say which one I liked better, honestly. My girls said the back seat had better leg room in the Land Cruiser, but that would be a different animal in an SWB.

One of my kids will get her own car soon, the other one won't mind where he sits because he sleeps in the car anyway.

There is one SWB 2.8td with low miles, very clean looking on eBay for $20k.
I know they can be had in EU for half of that price same condition. You pay for the convenience factor.
I don't have to fly there, stay at a hotel, ship the car myself, register it in FL, where I would have to fly again and take possession of upon delivery, etc.

$3 - $4k is the price for a high mileage one in EU, early 90's models. I am sure they would require some work.

One of my kids will get her own car soon, the other one won't mind where he sits because he sleeps in the car anyway.

There is one SWB 2.8td with low miles, very clean looking on eBay for $20k.
I know they can be had in EU for half of that price same condition. You pay for the convenience factor.
I don't have to fly there, stay at a hotel, ship the car myself, register it in FL, where I would have to fly again and take possession of upon delivery, etc.

$3 - $4k is the price for a high mileage one in EU, early 90's models. I am sure they would require some work.

The Y60 from 93-97 was available (Safari) with the TD42T1- turbo. My importer in Portland from Russia has quite a few people on the ground in Japan and Russia to locate the Patrols. I've built up a few for him. Prices he has quoted me are 8-14K pending condition and if private or auction transaction.

93 Y60 Safari
IMG_20181213_112733080.jpg

92 Y60 Safari
IMG_20180926_130804790.jpg

The Y60/Y62 Patrol were direct competition for the 80-series and are very similar trucks. Here is where the Patrol is better;

-flatter belly with t-case not hanging so low.
-front radius arms are outboarded on the frame rails and a pin style bushing at the frame mount.
-stronger better axles, the front is the same size as the rear, an H233. Nissan axle codes = 233 ring gear size in mm.
-rear axle has shocks behind the axle not in front.
-transmissions are equally as strong as any Cruiser.
-frames are also equally as strong and fully boxed.

The TD42 is a very good diesel, not a lot of factory turbo's though. The early "black top" TD42 is best for turboing. The TB42 gasser is also a great engine and on par with the 1FZ.

Interior is a little more redefined in a Cruiser.

Both have equal rust protection from the factory.

Both have a parallel 5-link rear suspension but as mentioned, the Patrol has the shocks behind the axle which should be obvious is much better.

Y60 has a strong steering box but a Y61 is stronger and a direct bolt in job.

You can't go wrong with a Patrol. I owned and built them for 2.5 decades. Nissan is also not so anal about buying non-US parts like Toyota is, IE they will sell you the parts here in the states.

Cheers

My brother got pictures of this late '70s Patrol. This was in a junkyard in Greece.
Can upload more if you wish...

R1.jpg

R2.jpg

Last edited:
Found a couple parts trucks to help with my 1967 project above. Picked up a 1965 with a 67 donor motor that i did not wind up using and also picked up a 1963 parts truck back in 2017. Sold the red 1969 at the end of 2017. Started working on getting my 1967 back together last year.
2017-0412d.jpg

2017-1217h.jpg

2020-0724a.jpg

Some more pics of this Greek Patrol of post #55

Could one tell if it is doable/an easy resto, especially in terms of bodywork?
Your input appreciated!

R3.jpg

R5.jpg

R8.jpg

R10.jpg

R9.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom