Cruiser Spottings (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glenn owned a very nice 40 and a built 80 but he no longer has interest in the vintage cruisers. Oh, and last time I was there, he mentioned that he doesn't want to touch 80's anymore either.

Biggest reason i elected to sell my FZJ80 back in the day. Now that i have Tacoma, the less ive driven the TLC. Anyway back to this business in Kuwait.

Still new-ish to the group. Not sure which cruisers have already been tagged. Anyone know who this 80 belongs to? Found it at Lowe's on Dorchester.

20190121_113739.jpg

Saw him on the drive home today... international, michaux, dorchester, then right on AP. Passed him once giving the FJ Wave, he saw the FJC and responded.

I passed a bright red 60 heading N on the Ravenel this morning...I must say, a 60 doesn't look right with white spoke wheels

Thanks @CharlestonG8R. I totally get it for those guys from a business standpoint. It's way more profitable to do maintenance and swap parts on newer vehicles. So I guess we really need to end the "Glenn is the Landcruiser guy in Charleston" even in a pinch. I have an appt with McIntosh, but end of the month, but I'd really like to get this addressed before then. I've talked to Marshall. That's an excellent testimonial. Seems like a good dude, but I don't have the time to trek all the way up there.

I pretty much do my own work also. Dude what I need seems pretty basic. I believe it was your 40 you took me for a ride in at Cars and Coffee that got me wanting to take every squeak and rattle out of mine. I have been chasing a small vibration/clacking when I hit really small bumps (before I get into the leafs). I've tightened everything I can think of and it's still there. I wanted to get it aligned, camber and castor and all of that good stuff checked and the steering angles etc looked at. The system is anything but stock with an OME lift, shackle reverse, anti-inversion shackles, Saginaw power steering conversion, Ididit column swap running a stout V8 and 150lb winch on the front bumper. Like I say, I have some go to guys for stuff that's over my head who are super mechanics (dealership guys), but not a lot of experience with ancient technology like this. It may be as simple as an alignment and that probably isn't a bad place to start, but frankly I am very hesitant to let any Joe blow tire shop have at it.
Did I see your truck? I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be! We met a gentleman last weekend that pays his son $5 each time he finds a squeaky part on his 40. I thought that was pretty ingenious. The big rattles on mine are the doors, but the no longer drive me nuts. I'm guessing yours aren't as simple if you're talking alignment? Does it run? Can we go out for a ride and see what's going on?

Spotted this 40 behind a gate off Queen Street. Looks really nice; it has the Bumperette nipples so I’m guessing it’s from South America.

Spotted this feller on my way up 17 in the litchfield/Pawleys Island area. Beautiful 40 series! I was in a black 80 series if you’re on here guy :)
B010F2EF-EF32-48AD-ADAB-ED1E067B729B.jpeg

Neighbor of a friend has (I think) a 70. No pics, sorry. Friend says he works on it alot, but it never seems to move.... lol

Edit: I wish I had some LCLC cards to drop on his windshield :p

I've got plenty, next time I see you....

This guy comes to Pawleys every year around this time I’m assuming...spotted this baby around the same time last year as well. GA plates though

58CCB038-55CF-4719-89D0-C8EE13F4D3E6.jpeg

Also spotted this monster of an 80 up at ft fisher on sunday..sorry for crappy quality

DF319E8A-7D4A-44FA-B869-9F28B3E785CA.jpeg

Did I see your truck? I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be! We met a gentleman last weekend that pays his son $5 each time he finds a squeaky part on his 40. I thought that was pretty ingenious. The big rattles on mine are the doors, but the no longer drive me nuts. I'm guessing yours aren't as simple if you're talking alignment? Does it run? Can we go out for a ride and see what's going on?
Jeremy,
I somehow missed your response. I don't know if I had my truck there that day. I get it up to C&C pretty often when it isn't too hot out.

Ha $5 bucks a squeak. Terry was able to help me out with that rattle I had. It ended up being the hood hinge pins. They are original and have some slop in them so when I hit a bump it rattled. Hinges have never been off so we decided not to try and take them off and ended up using a bit of rubber on the lip of the body to wedge the hood down tight. That was quiet, but exposed a rattle in the back doors that fixing the bottom door latch corrected. Ahhhh....It's quiet now. It's amazing how much your confidence in a rig improves when it doesn't squeak and rattle like an old rail car. Runs absolutely great. Was at C&C last week given the nice weather and greatly enjoyed it. Plan to get out there in the fall when it cools down. See you out there.

Jason

Wife spotted a white 80 series today on Dorchester right outside the Airforce base today. I was too damn busy talking and not paying attention that I missed the wave. Saw the backend of the cruiser in my rearview mirror =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom