need opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spring Loaded? Looks like I was misinformed, my visual scan of the belt looked like it was 'adjustable' by wrench only, just like all my prior vehicles. I'd also swear I read somewhere it needed manual adjustments. But, here are a couple FJ Forum posts that show it's spring loaded.

Serpentine Belt Replacement - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Serpentine belt replacement...

And consesnus is the belt stretches and starts making noise after 60k miles. Second post says it's a 10 minute job for one person (plus R&R of skid plate).

Last edited:
while i probably could do it my self i have a track record of making it worse so im more comfortable giving it to someone who does this stuff all the time

One of the stories tells of a shop installing the belt wrong and shredding it; and the pain involved of unwrapping all the stray stranding from around the shafts. lol

I messed up a belt install once, the grooves were off by one and it shredded after about 20 miles. The strands in the belt got tangled up in my steering pump. Big mess. Just make sure it's seated properly on all pulleys. The tension is automatic from the spring tensioner.

Ok so after having all 3 idler pullies and the whole belt tensioner set up replaced the noise is still there.

Its doing ny head in. To loud and slow for injector noise but to quiet for bottom end.

Nothing out of the ordinary, its always close to 1200km (our 14-16 models came with 158l tanks)

We sold one here at the dealer a few months ago that had similar noise but more pronounced, like a sharp tap.

Ok so after having all 3 idler pullies and the whole belt tensioner set up replaced the noise is still there.

Its doing ny head in. To loud and slow for injector noise but to quiet for bottom end.

Hi stellz996, I've been having a tapping/knocking sound and was wondering if it's the same as yours? I've posted up a youtube video for your reference.

Took mine to the selling dealer and they said it's normal but just a bit louder and to just monitor it. Some others have said they hear it on theirs as well. I've compared mine to several other FJ's and a few of them sound the very similar to mine just that mines a bit louder. Mine is a 2015 with just under 79000km and bought it around 75000km only recently.

Hi Explorer4Hire, were you referring to the my video or stellz96's?

thanks

Yours. I have an ‘11. Definitely has a similar sound, especially for the first 2 or 3 minutes. I’ve heard a bunch of them as well as 4runners and some of them just seem to do it. I dunno 🤷‍♂️. Wish I had more insight.

Yours. I have an ‘11. Definitely has a similar sound, especially for the first 2 or 3 minutes. I’ve heard a bunch of them as well as 4runners and some of them just seem to do it. I dunno 🤷‍♂️. Wish I had more insight.

Thing is mine does it only when warmed up or even after driven so knocking/tapping sound is always there but sometimes its a little quieter and sometimes its a little louder. Very odd. I've heard a good number of other FJ's from 2012 to 2016 models and a few of them sound like mine but mine's still louder. I guess the more replies there are and reports from owners about their FJ's sounding the same without issues and have done so since either new or for a very long time helps to put concerns more at ease.

I believe 2010 and up FJ Cruiser V6 motors ( the one with the cartridge style oil filter from the bottom ) have hydraulic valve lifters. Maybe the noise has something to do with the valve train differences. They also have rocker arms.

I believe 2010 and up FJ Cruiser V6 motors ( the one with the cartridge style oil filter from the bottom ) have hydraulic valve lifters. Maybe the noise has something to do with the valve train differences. They also have rocker arms.

The entire 1GR engine family are all dual overhead cam motors, so no rocker arms or hydraulic valve lifters. The valves are adjusted with bucket shims. You have to take the camshafts off to change the bucket shims (adjust the valves).

The entire 1GR engine family are all dual overhead cam motors, so no rocker arms or hydraulic valve lifters. The valves are adjusted with bucket shims. You have to take the camshafts off to change the bucket shims (adjust the valves).
The valves the gen 2 motor have 0 lash hydraulic adjusters, they dont require adjusting manually

I don’t care to turn this into a pissing match 1911, but you might want to do a little research.

I don’t care to turn this into a pissing match 1911, but you might want to do a little research.

Me neither, but I'd be curious to see where you find rocker arms on an overhead cam engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom