Repurposed 3rd row seatbelts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone with 3rd row seats removed done anything useful with their 3rd row seatbelts?

Has anyone with 3rd row seats removed done anything useful with their 3rd row seatbelts?
Some smaller, skinny, short people used them to replace the front driver's belt. (remove from retractor and replace into DS retractor). They are about 6" shorter than the DS belt.

I'm a tall, fat slob and I'm currently running the driver side 3rd row seat belt as my driver belt. It doesn't have much slack after I'm in, but it's worth it to have the belt retract when I want to exit the vehicle. I even bought a used (good condition!) driver belt on eBay which was exactly as badly worn as my original. Don't bother with that!

I use mine to buck the people who sit in the seats.

Speaking of which, someone once told me their 80 had three seat belts in the back. Mine only has two. Did I get short changed?

I use mine to buck the people who sit in the seats.

Speaking of which, someone once told me their 80 had three seat belts in the back. Mine only has two. Did I get short changed?

Depends on the year! Earlier years have the 3 seatbelts. Can’t remember which exactly but it’s well documented here.

As to a slow seatbelt, has anybody tried the laundry detergent trick with any success?

I'm a tall, fat slob and I'm currently running the driver side 3rd row seat belt as my driver belt. It doesn't have much slack after I'm in, but it's worth it to have the belt retract when I want to exit the vehicle. I even bought a used (good condition!) driver belt on eBay which was exactly as badly worn as my original. Don't bother with that!

Me too and I tried that first and I couldn't reach the glove box anymore.

I bought a PASSENGER front belt and swapped it with excellent success. That belt is 9" Longer than the DS belt.

Skinny driver, fat passenger. Go figure

Me too and I tried that first and I couldn't reach the glove box anymore.

I bought a PASSENGER front belt and swapped it with excellent success. That belt is 9" Longer than the DS belt.

so, PS belt is a plug and play direct swap for DS seatbelt but it is 9” longer? seems like that could be nice but could be a pita with all the extra length?

also, anyone happen to know if 95-97 LC’s and LX’s has the same belts??!

so, PS belt is a plug and play direct swap for DS seatbelt but it is 9” longer? seems like that could be nice but could be a pita with all the extra length?

I believe they are identical.

Yes, LC/LX belts are the same.

The front belts have a certain buckle.

The second row belts will NOT work due to a different buckle.

The third row belts will work. The buckle is slightly different, but will work and the belts are about 6" SHORTER.

The PS belt will work and is about 9" LONGER, and you must reverse the tag when you install it on the retractor so the buckle is in the correct orientation. I recommend that you add (3) turns to the original retractor tension so it can pull more belt before it runs out of oomph.

Everything I'm referring to here is to remove the belt from it's original retractor and installing in the original DS retractor.

Or, you can pull your belt assembly and sent to the place mentioned above and they will send it back to you in about 10 days fully new belt, with the retractor cleaned and lubed if that is your choice.

Retractors are gravity or G-Force activated. If they go "x" number of degrees out of vertical, they lock. If they experience a fast g-force in any direction, they lock. If your retractor is locked, hold it near the original orientation in the truck in a vertical and horizontal plane so it would be "at rest" then tug on the belt to release the teeth. Retractors do not "lock" permanently unless they have been in a collision and have been bent.

My DS retractor is not working properly.
Do you think it is possible to swap the retractor from the 3rd row ds to the drivers and passengers front row, keeping the original webbing? I read another thread that indicated the 3rd row retractors act differently...

I wouldn’t even bother with trying to use the third row belts. They “work” but don’t work properly with the orientation of the buckle and length difference.

This is what I did back in 2017. I hadn’t found anyone that had tried it so I took a chance and it is amazing. Now tons of people on here have done it for everything from 40s, 60s, 80s, and faux Cruisers.

Do it and be done.

My DS retractor is not working properly.
Do you think it is possible to swap the retractor from the 3rd row ds to the drivers and passengers front row, keeping the original webbing? I read another thread that indicated the 3rd row retractors act differently...
Only the retractor from the driver's location will work.

Every retractor is location specific for angle and attachment.

Many change the webbing but it must go back into the original retractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom