'85 fj60 long transmission, can spacer be removed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Captn Conch

Life Begins Above Timberline.
Threads
The '85 FJ60 had the longer 4 speed tranny and it looks like the added length is a 3.5" spacer (and longer output shaft.) Is it possible to remove this spacer and add short shaft and have the short tranny? I noticed the case looks like the spacer is not molded onto the tranny. Also the shift lever is closer to back of tranny which would be nice.

Easiest thing to do is use the top cover from a 60 series. Do you have a split transfer now. If not your going to a lot of work. Not sure all the parts inside the transmission are the same on the split and one piece transfer case. Then your dealing with the transfer linkage that the boss it mounts on is further back. Neither the pre 4/85 or later will work.

What do you have now, year? Stock six or V8?

I was under the impression that the spacer was added in the north american market to equal the overall trans/t-case length of a 5-speed setup. I'd guess your thinking is correct about removing the spacer and changing out the shaft as I don't think there were bolt pattern differences in the transfer cases between "short" and "long". You can use either top plate (40 or 60) on the split case transmissions afaik. HTH

Last edited:
I'm currently using my original 3 sp transmission and xfer case on my GMC 350, but I would like to connect that xfer to the FJ60 4 speed transmission I have that is in really good shape. I also have an FJ40 4 sp short transmission connected to a 3 speed xfer but condition of internals are unknown at this time.

Last edited:
Ah. Again - afaik - there are differences between transmissions designed for one-piece transfer cases and those originally mated to a split t-case like in an FJ60. A knowledgeable mechanic recently told me it might be possible to use a post 1980 trans and early t-case if you change the output bearings/shaft/retainers/seals/etc but he wouldn't swear to it. Most folks go to split case for strength at the same time if changing out for a newer '80 and later transmission. The top plates do interchange as I recently confirmed that at Mark's in Burbank.

Hopefully someone smarter will chime in...

I would up date the transfer at the same time you'll have to deal with the hand brake. But think that would be easier to than mate a one piece transfer case to a nineteen spline tailshaft. Do not know of any input gear that would work. If your V8 sits forward enough that the transmission shift cane is right at the heater then a 60 series top cover would help. Easiest way is to use a pre 8/80 H42 trantmission. Then use a top cover from a 60 series H42. While you at locate the transfer shift linkage from a 8/80-3/85 60 series to move the transfer lever back at the same time.

I'm keeping the vacuum actuated 3 sp transfer case for the lower gear ratio, ( Georg's Transfer case plate installed for strength.) I was just wondering about that spacer that was introduced on the '85 FJ60. I've been running the v/8 for 30+ years.

you can't use a 1 piece transfer case on a transmision that originally had a split case, spacer or no spacer.

I'm keeping the vacuum actuated 3 sp transfer case for the lower gear ratio, ( Georg's Transfer case plate installed for strength.) I was just wondering about that spacer that was introduced on the '85 FJ60. I've been running the v/8 for 30+ years.
The earlier version of the split case (without spacer) came with a lower ratio t-case gearset (at least the ones that came to canada). That -t-case is much stronger than your current 1 piece case and a marginal ratio change.

The earlier version of the split case (without spacer) came with a lower ratio t-case gearset (at least the ones that came to canada). That -t-case is much stronger than your current 1 piece case and a marginal ratio change.

I agree difference in low range is minimal compare to the stronger split case. Problem you loose the hand brake. Have a friend in Australia looking for the hand brake parts for the split case. After finding only a couple useable drums out of multiple transmission transfer setups he has stopped looking. The problem is the hand brake ends up costing as much or more than the transfer. But if I was running a V8 any upgrade to a four speed would be with a split case. Would also go with a 60/70 series top cover and transfer shift linkage to move them away from the heater.

The FJ62 has the lower low range gearing and a vacuum operated 4WD. Not sure this will work in a FJ40 but this setup was used in the late BJ46 with the five speed. I know the crossmember for the short wheel base and mid wheel base are the same. The long wheel base has shorter L brackets. That would suggest on a short wheel base it should work.

The FJ62 has the lower low range gearing and a vacuum operated 4WD. Not sure this will work in a FJ40 but this setup was used in the late BJ46 with the five speed. I know the crossmember for the short wheel base and mid wheel base are the same. The long wheel base has shorter L brackets. That would suggest on a short wheel base it should work.
The FJ62 split transfer case also has bearing supported output shafts front and rear, another positive feature. And the vacuum front drive engagement can be easily converted to manual:

Cruiser Outfitters

The FJ62 split transfer case also has bearing supported output shafts front and rear, another positive feature. And the vacuum front drive engagement can be easily converted to manual:

Cruiser Outfitters

It's the input gear and transmission shaft that are a little different. Shaft splined section is shorter on the tailshaft. Would make it hard to use a manual transfer on to a auto. Can't remember why but someone local had a hard time installing a FJ62 transfer case on to the 8/80-3/85 H42.

I have a low miles FJ62 transfer case thought about using with a H55F. I know you did this. Did you have any issue? I am also curious if the vacuum shifter would fit. BJ46 came with a five speed and vacuum transfer. The 45/47 frames are narrower where the crossmember is so guess those couldn't use a vacuum shift.

It's the input gear and transmission shaft that are a little different. Shaft splined section is shorter on the tailshaft. Would make it hard to use a manual transfer on to a auto. Can't remember why but someone local had a hard time installing a FJ62 transfer case on to the 8/80-3/85 H42.

I have a low miles FJ62 transfer case thought about using with a H55F. I know you did this. Did you have any issue? I am also curious if the vacuum shifter would fit. BJ46 came with a five speed and vacuum transfer. The 45/47 frames are narrower where the crossmember is so guess those couldn't use a vacuum shift.
I had no problem at all with the assembly and installation. The only differences are that the A440F output shaft has an O-ring that's not needed with the H55f (or the H41/H42). To mate the FJ62 split case to the H55f (or the post-4/85 H41/H42) you need longer bolts, I found that the M12X1.25 bolts from a later one-piece case worked great. I added a lock washer to match the later bolts because the early bolts don't have the captive lock washer.

I had no problem at all with the assembly and installation. The only differences are that the A440F output shaft has an O-ring that's not needed with the H55f (or the H41/H42). To mate the FJ62 split case to the H55f (or the post-4/85 H41/H42) you need longer bolts, I found that the M12X1.25 bolts from a later one-piece case worked great. I added a lock washer to match the later bolts because the early bolts don't have the captive lock washer.

I have no idea what the problem was putting the FJ62 transfer on to the H42. But am I right about the manual transfer case the input gear will not slide on far enough on a automatic? Runs out of spline on the transmission tailshaft.

I have no idea what the problem was putting the FJ62 transfer on to the H42. But am I right about the manual transfer case the input gear will not slide on far enough on a automatic? Runs out of spline on the transmission tailshaft.
I don't know one way or the other. I sold the A440F last year so I can't check it out with my '85 BJ45 split transfer case.

I don't know one way or the other. I sold the A440F last year so I can't check it out with my '85 BJ45 split transfer case.

Looked at the for sale thread you had for the A440F. There are pictures of the tailshaft showing the shorter spline section. The input gear for the FJ62 T case has a shorter spline lenght with the front milled to slip over the tailshaft where it is not splined.

Last edited:
Now my head is hurting. I was just wondering if the '85 FJ60 transmission has a removable spacer so it can be short again. I'm gathering that probably not but it looks like that piece on the front of the tranny may be removed? And then a shorter shaft used?

Now my head is hurting. I was just wondering if the '85 FJ60 transmission has a removable spacer so it can be short again. I'm gathering that probably not but it looks like that piece on the front of the tranny may be removed? And then a shorter shaft used?

I see no advantage using these later H42 with a spacer in a FJ40 unless your planning a H55F down the line then just install it with the spacer. Unless your planning on a split transfer case with give up the idea of any 8/80+ H42. Want a four speed and use your current one piece transfer case just use one from a 74-7/80. Sixteen spline itailshaft is easy to adapt to the one piece transfer from a three.

I don't know, but it seems like a lot of work to remove the spacer then change out the output shaft to a short version, when an 81-84 trans is readily available and will be the same thing. But as many of us stated above the 1 piece transfer will not work with any trans that was set up for a split case. the output splines are different and I don't think they will bolt together.
Hope that clears it all up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom