Builds The Warthog v4.4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wngrog

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
About 2 years ago I got word that there was an abandoned FJ-55 in North Mississippi that had a low mileage 2F and drivetrain that needed to be rescued.

IMG_4908-X2.jpg

At the time, my FJ-60 was running on 5 cylinders at best, but it was becoming my favorite Cruiser in the herd and it needed a motor.

This is the story of the Warthog. It turned out to be a bit more than a drivetrain donor after all.

The Warthog - 1977/73 combo

Over a 2 year period, with lots of help from my friends, the Warthog went from being a jihad Pig to a real solid player in the stable.

The pinnacle of the Pig's life with me was loading it up to the gills and making an 800 mile trip to this years Southern Swine Soiree and back with only minor mechanical issues.

IMG_6978-X2.jpg

These "minor mechanical issues" have morphed into the next generation of the Warthog.

We shall call this Warthog version 4.4

Minor mechanical issues........

First of all, I never properly cleaned my fuel tank. Due to the age of the tank and the mess it would take to remove it from the Pig, I attempted to clean and flush the rust out of the system with the tank in the truck. I also added a large, screw-on diesel fuel filter into the system to make sure all the fuel was clean into the carburetor. This seemed like a good plan but the long run to the Swine Soiree uncovered fuel issues that the large and multiple filters would not handle.

Step 1.....contact @orangefj45 and Cruiser Brothers and get a NEW fuel tank from Long Range Automotive

There is no way to get this fuel system right without getting it really right

7ff08571-09c1-42ea-aaa1-b68ee42c6511-png.1830742

The second issue was lack of power to pull all the weight I want to pull in the Pig, yet keep it Toyota. The Warthog is a low mileage truck, in fact, it just turned 100,000 miles. The dissy and carb were just rebuilt special by JimC, but the motor set up for many years and it needs freshening up a bit.

Recently, Mosley Motors has completed a Hot Rod 2F build on The Delta Beast (a 1974 FJ40 I have a bit of history with) and it was all I could think about while I was struggling to pull my M416 up the hills of Central Alabama.

Fresh motor.....fuel injection......man. That's not too much to ask, right? The warthog deserves it.

Plus, this hot rod 2F thing is real. I had just taken my FJ40 (Project Patina) with a new, stock 2F and perfectly tuned carb up for a drag race to see for myself the difference in power.....

I'll let the video tell the tale

Having just "finished" my Pig and wanting to keep it driving as long as possible while I put this scheme together, I needed to find a donor 2F to send to @FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors for the voodoo magic treatment.

I decided I wanted to install power steering while I was at it so I needed a late model donor motor with the holes in the block for the OEM Power steering pump.

Last edited:
Well, patina’d paint does have more drag.

The first phone call I made was to @beno to get the OEM guts on order for the Hot Rod 2F.

I got everything that is still available from Toyota for the 2F.......sadly, this list is getting shorter by the day. If you want a OEM filled 2F, you better get on it and order some parts.

6a5f4891-c92b-4ac8-a73c-441e8827aaaf-jpeg.1841006

11475eec-755b-4e33-8119-cbcc26d2ae1a-jpeg.1842089

331bc288-ad97-4475-ac5c-c6a3479d7165-jpeg.1841008

Second call I made was back to @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids to get an H55 on order to come with this ridiculously large gas tank I have being delivered.

I purchased a split case from @RustyNailJustin and Georg was headed that way to buy some parts so I asked him to pick it up to rebuild it for me.

After seeing how well @Voodoocruisers FJ55 did with a 2F and a (gasp) Weber carburetor, with his H55 I decided to take it to the next level and order up a 5 speed to go with this new 4.4 liter fire breathing 2F.

Georg is building me a combo with new H55 and rebuilt split case. He is sending me a 60 series bell housing that is properly notched for the H55. The case will have flanges where I can use whatever pattern driveshaft I can make work as well as a 60 series crossmember that I will have to do some fabrication to make work on the FJ55.

I went over the plan with the formerly squirrel tailed Austrian and got a double thumbs up to proceed.

IMG_3208-X3.jpg

I broke apart the 1981 2F donor and loaded it up and took it to the science lab at Mosley Motors

1c4d0b8c-5aec-4b00-892b-c022ec45ce3f-jpeg.1842085

Upon arrival I watched at #ETAF and the mad scientist inspected the bounty to determine worthiness

10880e83-1ef9-4302-9ac7-ad7d20862335-jpeg.1849031

2df5bf3d-18ba-48ad-aaee-c51f06f98cd3-jpeg.1849030

How much are you boring the 2F? Anything else to 'hot rod' it?
New H55?
Which fuel injection kit? AFI?

She's gonna be a monster.

I hired a rocket scientist to figure out all the technical stuff like bore and horsepower and compression.

New H55.....

Going to try a Holley Sniper on this one

The Warthog is gender neutral.

This is an awesome project. Super excited for you, and I can't wait to see how it turns out! You've rounded up a nice crew of experts to help you out, and sounds like you're no slouch yourself.

I hired a rocket scientist to figure out all the technical stuff like bore and horsepower and compression.

New H55.....

Going to try a Holley Sniper on this one

The Warthog is gender neutral.
The sniper looks like a pretty decent setup. Are you going to have it control the timing?

The sniper looks like a pretty decent setup. Are you going to have it control the timing?

We are going to research it. I am using a DUI for this motor.

I’ve got an AFI on my FJ60 and I’m
A fan but want to try something new.

I’ve got a few “new” things I’m going to try on this setup. I’ve got a pile of parts. Mosley has a pile of parts. I’ve still got parts to buy.

F5B7FE4C-F1CD-4B78-B73C-1ED16C26726E.jpeg

Now is the time to go 3FE exhaust manifold instead of 2F.

What’s the benefit?

The downpipe on the 55 is a pretty cool piece. I don’t know enough about the 3F to know if it’s the same depth and pattern as the 2F....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom