PTO WINCH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can u bolt up A PTO factory winch to any fj40 maybe a stupid question. I have a PTO winch on a 79 fj40 and wanted to see if it could be used on early model fj40 thanks for taking the time if u know the answer

@Living in the Past is the resident expert on PTO winches. I think it will bolt to the bumper no problem— split case vs non-split case will be the issue (I think but John would know for sure).

Thanks but John really knows the PTOs inside and out— he helped me a ton and am sure will answer your question. M

generally yes a PTO from 1980 or before will bolt up to an earlier transfer case starting with 1963?
2 issues will be the length of the shaft if going from a 4 speed to a 3 speed and whether or not the pto gear is in the transfer case.

Don't forget the front pillow block brearing that was support by radiator bracket moved to a bracket bolted to the side frame rail. The two holes in the boxed front member at the front do no line up straight like earlier years. 79+ the short PTO driveshaft went thru at a angle.

Like Paul said drive length are different between three and four speed. The the 79-82 are different than earlier four speeds. 10-82 it changed again. All three speed had the PTO gear in the transfer case. Four speeds very few did. But because very few PTOs were on the four speeds not really hard to find the PTO gear. It does requiring pulling the transfer case off the transmission to install.

As far as I was told, the PTO gears were factory installed in xfer cases through 1976, which was the last year that a PTO winch was an factory option in the US.

My '78 had the spacer, and I had to pull the trans/xfer case pair to install the gear. If you do that, it's a good time to replace the xfer case input seal and check everything inside anyway.

/this\

Plenty of good used PTO gears in stock here. ;)

Thanks everyone for the information . I think I better take this slow but a least it sounds like it's not impossible thanks again for everyone's help

As far as I was told, the PTO gears were factory installed in xfer cases through 1976, which was the last year that a PTO winch was an factory option in the US.

My '78 had the spacer, and I had to pull the trans/xfer case pair to install the gear. If you do that, it's a good time to replace the xfer case input seal and check everything inside anyway.

I find it interesting Toyota installed the spacer at the factory. Yet there is no part number for the spacer and Toyota wants to sell you the PTO gear if you need a replacement. Will have to look at the late 74 T case I bought as a core. Remember the transion input gear is there but thought it has a spacer instead of the PTO gear.

I install PTO gears in everything as there are fairly common and have spares around.

The 61 to mid 63 started out with a standard PTO in the transfer case then went to a spacer. Mid 63 forward PTO gear was standard again. Wonder why they did that. The 61-63 is a different transmission and transfer case. The PTO was different as well.

I have a 1962 but its not the original engine or transmission/transfer. What was the difference during those years. I put a Later model engine and trans in and they match up good. Just curious.

Spector Off Road has diagrams of the early three speed and transfer case. The rods for the column shift were on the side of the transmission instead of the top plate. The cap for the back of the transfer case that covers the tailshaft of the transmission is different and easy way to tell. The PTO is also different. Seen a later PTO that was mated to a early transfer case. Beside the bolt pattern being different the gears did not mesh correctly and destroyed the PTO gears in the PTO and transfer case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom