2013 Landcruiser suspension build with King Race shocks and Volk Racing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to share my suspension journey or nightmare, which took about 2 years to finally finish.

First bought my Bronze Volk TE37s 18x9s about 2 years ago and wrapped them in Hankooks. It immediately starts to rub the fender liner and mud flaps at full lock. Thought I was going to raise the truck soon, so kinda of lived with it as I did research. Because I have been involved in the import industry for over 25 years, I wanted bling, since this was my family mall crawler.

uxAsXG.jpg

So I was going to order some King 2.5 OEM replacements with reservoir, but heard from our rep, that the Race kits which is a 3 inch body were coming out. Obviously the mall crawler needed that, just in case I needed to go over a speed bump. The rear was going to be a bypass shock with separate compression and rebound adjustments, which seemed too hard to turn down. The information wasn’t on the website, so I waited and ordered a set when they were available. The kit is super expensive and way past the budget I wanted to spend, but was forced to buy it because I had mentally committed to getting the race kit. Then I realized that it requires an upper arm as well from either Total Chaos or Camburg. Since I knew one of the owners of Camburg, who used to work at Rod Millen and was also involved in the industry, he offered me a special price that I couldn’t refuse.

Another year had passed while all the parts were in my garage, life is busy raising two toddlers. Anyways, the stock suspension started to give out and I was forced to finally install them. But I needed rear springs and according to my friends, I needed ARB 2723 springs because I could possibly load up the truck on a weekend and needed extra spring rate. The ARB application list is kinda ambiguous and made it seem like you would only get .75 inch lift but maybe get a stiff spring rate when not loaded.

scYamL.jpg

So here are the parts, install and results after 12 hours with my two friends. I was scared to open the KDSS valve because of people saying there bolts were ceased and stripped. My friends were like, we can do this without the valve open. Realized it could be done without it open, it was just a bitch. Also to make things worse, we guessed on the spring letter and assumed the A spring went on the passenger side, what a big mistake!!

Here are some pics of the Kings and some installed
0l6llK.jpg

Front right
IGzG87.jpg

Front Left - friend has to make the brackets for the reservoir

NllNd1.jpg

Rear right, can't seem much. Bypass valve race shock. The top mount was a bitch to install

FAjQDL.jpg

Rear left - wrong spring and wrong side on the 1st time.
zY46DC.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics, the car was jacked up in the rear and it was miserable. Hot Rod stance with 2723s!
bsnTqz.jpg

Final stance, hoping it settles a little. Still a little bit or rake and don't judge me on the swirl marks, I know it's bad! lol. ARB 2722 springs installed and the King shocks raised an inch.
8Mj2V7.jpg

Wow. Nicely done. How is the ride when you're hammering on it?

The suspension is firm, which is what I wanted. I felt the factory suspension was a bit too mushy and soft. The rear is unloaded most of the time, so it's kind of stiff, but no complaints from the wife and kids. I am not done tuning the compression and rebound yet. Should be good and I think if I chose the ARB2721 springs it would have been a lot more comfortable. I prefer it a bit stiffer just in case I load it up later.

The suspension is firm, which is what I wanted. I felt the factory suspension was a bit too mushy and soft. The rear is unloaded most of the time, so it's kind of stiff, but no complaints from the wife and kids. I am not done tuning the compression and rebound yet. Should be good and I think if I chose the ARB2721 springs it would have been a lot more comfortable. I prefer it a bit stiffer just in case I load it up later.
Really like my 2721's, firm but not harsh

That's pretty awesome, get her out to the desert and see how she runs at speed. And let me know cause I want to meet you there haha...

talk to jason at trail tailor for rear springs.
i've run 2721, 2722, Icon, and now a set of jasons progressive light duty springs.

they are far and away the best spring out there. a total bitch to install, but totally worth it.
the ride is firmer, but smoother than the 2721s, which i loved, but were too short.

Wow that's quite the journey and total overkill for your purposes :D I think you have too much rear spring though. I have 2722 rear springs and that's with ARB drawers (filled with tools, camping stuff, and recovery gear), ARB fridge, full size 34" spare, and a rear bumper. For your purpose, I'd say 2721 would be just right. On my last 200 that was even more built than this one, the 2723s rode too stiff for my liking, and I ended up with 2721s which weren't quite enough spring but were much more comfortable (thread discussing it is here: Anyone swap rear springs?). The 2722s won't settle as much as I think you're hoping for, so I'd give the 2721 a shot.

I run the 3.0's here in Australia. Still working out some small kinks such as hose placement and lengths, Rears have been no issues. I removed the ARB BP51's to fit these. IM nudging 4000kg (8800lb) and was killing the ARB shocks. IM looking at hoptions for lower control arms and longer travel but these are the best quality ride bar none. Ive driven and tested almost every brand on the market inc ICON's, koni, bilsteins, fox and while they are nice, nothing rides like a King!

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7018.JPG

IMG_7019.JPG

I run the 3.0's here in Australia. Still working out some small kinks such as hose placement and lengths, Rears have been no issues. I removed the ARB BP51's to fit these. IM nudging 4000kg (8800lb) and was killing the ARB shocks. IM looking at hoptions for lower control arms and longer travel but these are the best quality ride bar none. Ive driven and tested almost every brand on the market inc ICON's, koni, bilsteins, fox and while they are nice, nothing rides like a King!

Thanks for the info and ideas. I appreciate everyones input about the rear springs.
I think the place we put our reservoirs is better than where King originally put them. I need to get a rear shock shaft cover as well. Don't want to damage my rear bypass shocks.

I don't know how other suspension rides, but I am really really happy with the adjustment and ride of the LC right now. The rear is a bit stiff, but completely happy with the setup. I don't think I am going to go softer in the rear. No one is complaining and want to have a little extra spring just in case I need to load up the truck or BUG OUT and need to load the car to the max, which will probably never happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom