Builds Land Cruiser Products scores another turbo 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beautiful! Congrats.

Super jelly on that sweet ride. :cautious::cautious:

Since you spent some time with a bunch of diesels, what's more desirable as far as trannys go? Manual or auto?

Both have pluses and minuses but Im far from an authority. The twin turbo V8 w/ six speed auto is my favorite but it is really unobtainable in the USA. The one nice part of all the diesels is they never seemed to run out of power even at the top of steep pulls. My gas 80 would of sucked big time on the big dunes and blown up for sure.

I am thinking more and more about a European import.
They come in both flavors. Manual (5spd) and Automatic (4spd).

I am thinking more and more about a European import.
They come in both flavors. Manual (5spd) and Automatic (4spd).

No real different than gas just personal choice. The diesel is more forgiving with a manual due to the torque.

Off to the dealership for some detailing and an overall health check up while its there.

A lot of room when everything is out

IMG_1109.JPG

Speedo Tachometer has a green and red light

IMG_1106.JPG

The green light comes on at ~2000RPM Does that show we now have boost? Can anyone tell me what the red light tell you as I have not seen it on....yet.

IMG_1107.JPG

Last edited:
Based on what I remember from my old HDJ80
Green comes on at 3psi
Red comes on around 15psi - factory overboost warning.

And of course that's not a speedo.
That would be the tachometer.

And this is a speedo.
Hope it have a lasting effect on your memory now. :hillbilly:

View attachment 1876711

You are right again as you obviously know your speedo's and the differences

Based on what I remember from my old HDJ80
Green comes on at 3psi
Red comes on around 15psi - factory overboost warning.

To be clear I dont ever want to see red? What is the max boost set by the factory.

To be clear I dont ever want to see red? What is the max boost set by the factory.
You'll not likely see red with the factory turbo setup and a stock tune, the fuel pin in the boost compensator defuels as it approaches the factory boost limit. With a stock setup seeing the red light indicates a problem.

Factory boost level as per the fsm test is 8psi, however the test is performed stationary with no load, so in real world driving you might see a bit more than that.

The limit of the stock turbo is around 15psi safely and efficiently, above this there is the risk of failure and because it's operating way outside it's efficiency the air is being heated a lot. With some turbo upgrades, a 1HDT is quite happy with a lot more than the factory boost, with a good standard fuel pump and injectors you run out of fuel at about 25 psi and 140-150 rwkw with associated mods ie intercooler, exhaust etc. I made 154 and 580 rwkw and rwnm at 25 psi with a modded pump, airbox, intercooler etc

On a performance note, by swapping the standard exhaust for a 3" turbo back exhaust (including dump) I went from green light coming on at about 2k rpm down to around 1400 rpm. Big drivability diffence.

You'll not likely see red with the factory turbo setup and a stock tune, the fuel pin in the boost compensator defuels as it approaches the factory boost limit. With a stock setup seeing the red light indicates a problem.

Factory boost level as per the fsm test is 8psi, however the test is performed stationary with no load, so in real world driving you might see a bit more than that.

The limit of the stock turbo is around 15psi safely and efficiently, above this there is the risk of failure and because it's operating way outside it's efficiency the air is being heated a lot. With some turbo upgrades, a 1HDT is quite happy with a lot more than the factory boost, with a good standard fuel pump and injectors you run out of fuel at about 25 psi and 140-150 rwkw with associated mods ie intercooler, exhaust etc. I made 154 and 580 rwkw and rwnm at 25 psi with a modded pump, airbox, intercooler etc

On a performance note, by swapping the standard exhaust for a 3" turbo back exhaust (including dump) I went from green light coming on at about 2k rpm down to around 1400 rpm. Big drivability diffence.

Im 3" equipped

That's a beautiful rig and setup. I love the clean low profile with no rack up top.

Awesome, but pricey, upgrades are the GTurbo from Oz
Wholesale automatic valve body and other bits (again from Oz)
And some kind of intercooler

I have none of these :(

Welcome to the 1HDT club, and nice score!

Im 3" equipped
Sorry, for some reason I didn't see that. Given the auto, it's possibly why the boost builds a little later, could be to do with the stall of the converter or something.

The one nice part of all the diesels is they never seemed to run out of power even at the top of steep pulls.

Sure... Right up until you install a pyrometer :hillbilly:
You DO have a pyro, right? Tranny temp gauge is a very prudent install as well if you don't have one yet.
Cool truck. My 1HD-T is running at about 16 lbs boost with a 3" exhaust, so I see that red light all the time. Not worried.

Since you have the exhaust already, an intercooler is a huge upgrade on these motors. Even better if you can pair it with a G turbo and a Wholesale valve body. Like Enigma, I have none of these things :D

Sure... Right up until you install a pyrometer :hillbilly:
You DO have a pyro, right? Tranny temp gauge is a very prudent install as well if you don't have one yet.
Cool truck. My 1HD-T is running at about 16 lbs boost with a 3" exhaust, so I see that red light all the time. Not worried.

Since you have the exhaust already, an intercooler is a huge upgrade on these motors. Even better if you can pair it with a G turbo and a Wholesale valve body. Like Enigma, I have none of these things :D

After seeing first hand what this drivtrain is capable of Im not a bit concerned because it will never see that hard of life.

After seeing first hand what this drivtrain is capable of Im not a bit concerned because it will never see that hard of life.

They are definitely tough. Pyro is not really necessary unless you start upping the ante on the tune.
They don't like to be laboured at low RPM. Combustion temps go up dramatically if you labor it heavily. Just learn to downshift on long hard climbs, keep the engine revs up. It'll rev all day, as hard a you're willing to rev it.
It's happier working hard at 2700rpm, than working hard at 2000rpm.

Enjoy. I miss my 1HD-T regularly

As it settles in Im not sure I didnt bite off more than I can chew with my upcoming white 80 remodel.
So it's for sale then?

I am usually a no go for the imports because I don't want RHD, but between the LHD and the sweet pop-top, this one checks more boxes than most.

You find some sweet rigs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom