ICON/Dobinsons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I am currently running an OME setup on my 94 Land Cruiser but thinking of upgrading from 35s to 37s, so a little more lift is in my future. I am looking at the Dobinsons 4" springs and ICON 4-6" lift shocks.

Has anyone ran this setup in the past or currently? How was the ride, did you go with 2.0 or the 2.5s? With your setup what tires were you running? What was the sidewall rating? I am running the KO2 and they are stiff which I am sure contributes to the stiffer ride. But the heavy duty springs of the OME do make a difference as well. I am thinking of going with a wheel setup of Method NV and the 37x12.5x17 Goodyear MTR with a "D" rating sidewall.

Other then swaybar drop brackets, extended brake lines, what else should I be concerned with? How about the front DS? Pinon angle?

Well I run 5.29. Have Slee front arms. Metaltech rear upper and lower. Delta panhard rear, front is stock. 4 inch flexi Dobinson springs. 37 mtr2 . Slee extended brake lines, Slee rear bump stops, 2.5 resi shocks. Front shaft growls I just ignore it. I like the ride I’d go for the icon with adjusters, and I would also regear for sure. Rear shaft might need the upper or lower arms for right angle. I guess in short be ready to spend money to do things right . Lspv adjusted too for brakes. I will do cv shaft in front soon and go back to 39s soon. I drive it at 75 80 no prob

@ajax1 I am going to replace my U joints here shortly soon. So that will hopefully limit or reduce the growl from the front DS that now exists.

What benefits do I get from the adjustable shocks? What upper/lower control arm manufacturer would you recommend?

@ajax1 I am going to replace my U joints here shortly soon. So that will hopefully limit or reduce the growl from the front DS that now exists.

What benefits do I get from the adjustable shocks? What upper/lower control arm manufacturer would you recommend?
May reduce it, but will return if you go 4". Will need to get your pinion angles correct. Easier in the back than front since front you have caster to correct as well. Going to a 4" lift, as said above by a few, gets very expensive...Front will probably need a DC shaft. Metal tech and blackhawk on the uca and lca. Or you can get your pinion correct and sleeve them yourself to the proper length.

i run ICON 2.0 3" lift with 35mm spacers all around on my fully armored rig, the ride quality is superb. Like i have mentioned to you before, the Goodyear MTR is perfect for on and off road application IMO with little to no road noise. I also got extended rear lower control arms and 2" bump stops installed and it helps correct pinion angle back to stock.

Would absolutely recommend the 2.5s. We haven't installed any of the 4-6 shocks, but the 0-3 are awesome. Will be upgrading all shop and personal rigs to those as time allows. Also of note, the 3" ICON springs seem to lift about 3.5-4". Need to get a fully loaded rear bumper on the OE/Cummins rig to get final measurements, but so far those springs are definitely over 3".

mine measured 24" from center of hub to bottom of fender with the 2.0 springs plus 35mm spacers with rear bumper and full tank of gas.

You will need to adjust the rear angle somehow , so either upper or lowers I went with both. if your shaft is growling now going bigger will make it worse, you will need some kinda castor correction too so that will affect front shaft also. With the adjustable icons you will be able to dial in the shock for your current weight and condition and how you like truck to feel. I got I believe 24.75 from center hub to fender in height. Truck sits level no spacers. Front has bumper winch rear has no bumper just spare inside on stripper pole, so right now rear is pretty light

May reduce it, but will return if you go 4". Will need to get your pinion angles correct. Easier in the back than front since front you have caster to correct as well. Going to a 4" lift, as said above by a few, gets very expensive...Front will probably need a DC shaft. Metal tech and blackhawk on the uca and lca. Or you can get your pinion correct and sleeve them yourself to the proper length.

Yeah, the part with the pinion angles correct is what really bothers me but I am aware I have to pay to play. I am probably going to go with adjustable control arms in the rear.

i run ICON 2.0 3" lift with 35mm spacers all around on my fully armored rig, the ride quality is superb. Like i have mentioned to you before, the Goodyear MTR is perfect for on and off road application IMO with little to no road noise. I also got extended rear lower control arms and 2" bump stops installed and it helps correct pinion angle back to stock.

What did you do about your pinion angles in the front?

Would absolutely recommend the 2.5s. We haven't installed any of the 4-6 shocks, but the 0-3 are awesome. Will be upgrading all shop and personal rigs to those as time allows. Also of note, the 3" ICON springs seem to lift about 3.5-4". Need to get a fully loaded rear bumper on the OE/Cummins rig to get final measurements, but so far those springs are definitely over 3".

Would I be okay with my Delta pan hard bracket that is designed for the smaller lifts?

You will need to adjust the rear angle somehow , so either upper or lowers I went with both. if your shaft is growling now going bigger will make it worse, you will need some kinda castor correction too so that will affect front shaft also. With the adjustable icons you will be able to dial in the shock for your current weight and condition and how you like truck to feel. I got I believe 24.75 from center hub to fender in height. Truck sits level no spacers. Front has bumper winch rear has no bumper just spare inside on stripper pole, so right now rear is pretty light

Am I understanding that the caster correction plates will help with the pinion angles? If I do I will go with the non-adjustable ones. I can probably have my buddy redo the valving to change the ride quality but if he is unable to I will be happy with the factory settings.

If you’re running stock gears with 37s you can get away with odd pinion angles. I didn’t notice anything until the lower gears went in

If you’re running stock gears with 37s you can get away with odd pinion angles. I didn’t notice anything until the lower gears went in

That is good to know. But I am tired of getting into the gas off the line and staying in the pedal so much to keep the speed up on the freeway.

I'm running the front Dobinson 4" Coil (C59-614V) and the 4-6" lift Icon 2.5" VS shocks. Handling offroad and onroad are very good! I am happy (finally) after playing around with coils and shocks for the last 6 years or so.

I'm running the front Dobinson 4" Coil (C59-614V) and the 4-6" lift Icon 2.5" VS shocks. Handling offroad and onroad are very good! I am happy (finally) after playing around with coils and shocks for the last 6 years or so.
Dobinson 4” front only? I see “Slee” in your signature. How much lift did you actually net with the Dobinson. I heard they are over 4”.

Dobinson 4” front only? I see “Slee” in your signature. How much lift did you actually net with the Dobinson. I heard they are over 4”.

Yes I am running a umm mixture of things... :)
Front: Dobinson's 4" coil (measures about 25" from hub to fender) with Icon 2.5 VS
Rear: Slee 4" Medium (with 1" spacer) and 12" travel Fox RR 2.0's

Would I be okay with my Delta pan hard bracket that is designed for the smaller lifts?

You bet. That same rig has a 3” PLB and works great. The 5” PLB really only come into play if you have 6”+ of lift and monster tires, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom