84-89 4Runner or pickup front bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
Can you guys post up your DIY bumpers? If this has been covered in a thread feel free to link it. The MUD search engine wasn’t giving me any kind of results.

I’ve seen the aftermarket options and I love the Allpro bumper, but I plan to do a 2” body lift and I don’t want any funny gaps. I like simple and light. Whatever I build will probably be tube since I have a bender and some leftover 1.75 DOM. But a plate bumper isn’t out of the question.

Plus who doesn’t like a thread full of bumper ideas.

Three of my favorites stolen from pirate. Obviously the first one is not a first gen...

DA5E3C29-0501-4FA2-9D63-545291910ED9.jpeg
6844EFB6-49A1-4604-B8B7-85B1A7814D87.jpeg
35D690AD-7536-4A30-9692-8F699E77EC72.jpeg

No idea if this bumper even still exists. I built it about '99 or so. Designed to take a winch that never got installed.
i-6mpSbBN.jpg

home built, the winch cradle is designed to be removable so I can pull it out of the front bumper and plug it into the rear receiver using a piece of 2" square tube (though I have no plans to run a power cable to the back, so it'll stay on the front). Winch is finally ready to be installed very soon.
vg2dEV6.jpg

before paint, you can see how I did the cradle a bit better
KG5y3cs.jpg

4752B840-6A48-4090-87E8-1CB6411C1BAE.jpeg
This is the only DIY bumper you ever need to see. *Edit* Not DIY: see below.

Last edited:
I was a big fan of the bumper that was on my 1980 crawler. It was simple and efficient and really helped the approach angle on the front.

(I know you asked for 84-89 but this may give inspiration)

QxNk2B.jpg

If you really wanted to take the time and cut some turn signal holes it’d look a lot better

I was a big fan of the bumper that was on my 1980 crawler. It was simple and efficient and really helped the approach angle on the front.

(I know you asked for 84-89 but this may give inspiration)

QxNk2B.jpg

If you really wanted to take the time and cut some turn signal holes it’d look a lot better

I do like that actually. Doesn’t get much more simple. I really don’t think I’ll run a winch.

I do like that actually. Doesn’t get much more simple. I really don’t think I’ll run a winch.

Yeah me nor the PO ever ran one, never had to! I think it would look much better with a hoop on the top and some lights too.

Last edited:
@pappy is right it's a Front Range off-road bumper modified for a 1" body lift.

Same one you have on your 4Runner right?

I loved the DIY bumper that was on my last 2nd gen. I'm planning on copying it for my current truck.

Thaaaats awesome looking. The skinny plate bumper is quickly growing on me. It really works with the square headlights.

The lines of the whole grill area was what swayed me in the direction of the ARB/TJM bumper shape instead of a collection of round tubes.

I don't think that was diy. That looks like the Front Range that is no longer available.

This is correct. I did not build that bumper, but I did do some tweaking on it. Added the light tabs, the bracing above and below the fairlead, and some bracing on the wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom