Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
My family has lived in Abu Dhabi for a bit over 10 years now. All three kids were born here. All my cruiser ownership has been here. But our time has come to an end and we are moving back to the States. We'll be moving to Phoenix, AZ.

Sadly, my 80-series can't make the trek. It's a 1997, too young to skirt the DOT laws. I've tried exploring multiple angles to getting it stateside... and can't figure out anything cost effective.

My 40-series will of course be coming back with me. But she'll need company in that 40 foot container!

When I knew I was going to move home I started searching for a pre-94 Troopy. I found one last week and as of today I'm the new Owner.

001front.jpg

002rear.jpg

It's a 1991 FJ75LV.
Powered by a 3F with 230,000 kilometers. H55F transmission.
Dual gas tanks. AC, no heat.

It's been well used, but apparently well maintained as well. AC blows cold. It'll hit 130 kph easily, though gradually. The PO built a wall behind the front seats and piped in a second AC for the back area... I've yet to test that.

Plan for this truck is to be built up to replace the 80-series role in our family... we'll take this one camping and exploring around the SW USA once we've moved home. Exploring the UAE and Oman by Cruiser has become a favorite past time for us. My kids were pumped when I got home with the truck tonight. My daughter wants to go camping already.

A few more photos of what I've got so far...

003engine.jpg

004dash.jpg

005area.jpg

I've been reading lots of your build threads. Questions are forthcoming!

Last edited:
Nice! Congrats on the find.

Question for you all... how are the dual fuel tanks supposed to work?

In my 80-series the sub tank fills the main tank. Once the main tank gets low I push a button and the sub tank pumps into the main tank. Once the sub tank is empty the pump auto-stops (and the button's light turns off). I literally can see the sub gauge go down while the main gauge goes up.

There's no similar button in this truck. I'm thinking one of the non-descript toggles in my dash may have replaced the OEM switch.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Joel

Can anyone help?

7* series have 2 separate fuel systems. There is a button on the rear fuel gauge. When you press it a light should come on and confirm you are using the rear tank. So each tank has it own fuel return line back to its tank.
You cant fill one tank into the other without modifying it.

I cant see your fuel gauge pod that has the fuel tank switch. Do you have 2 gauges?

7* series have 2 separate fuel systems. There is a button on the rear fuel gauge. When you press it a light should come on and confirm you are using the rear tank. So each tank has it own fuel return line back to its tank.
You cant fill one tank into the other without modifying it.

I cant see your fuel gauge pod that has the fuel tank switch. Do you have 2 gauges?

No, just one gauge in my cluster. Where would the rear fuel gauge be?

I've got a bad feeling about this... =)

No, just one gauge in my cluster. Where would the rear fuel gauge be?

I've got a bad feeling about this... =)
Most (obviously not all) have the aux fuel gauge in a dash mounted pod. The gauge, the selector button and small green light are enclosed in the pod.

Looking in Toyodiy I can see that meter as an option with the pod on top. I'm dubious that they would have taken the time to delete the pod and meter... they'd have just left it. And I have a flat dashpad on top.

In Toyodiy there's also a switch designed to fit into one of the bottom row of four horizontal slots... it's called "Switch Assembly, Fuel Control". I wonder if this was a more rudimentary way of selecting the rear tank.

View attachment 1874402
Perhaps another option all be it a somewhat expensive option.

Whoa!!

That'll plug in play with my truck? What is the tach fed from? And what would I use to switch the fuel tanks?

Shoot, this is gonna get pricey. I've got a 3rd party parts network here in the UAE that can get me parts for pretty ridiculous prices... if they are in stock. I'm compiling a last-ditch order before I quite this region.

@Honger .... "That'll plug in play with my truck? What is the tach fed from? And what would I use to switch the fuel tanks?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone a whole lot smarter than me would have to answer that question. :)
If you don't insist on the OEM look I would assume there are probably "digital solutions" to your issue.

There should be a switching valve next to the front tank where the two sets of fuel hoses (feed/return) are connected to then one feed to the engine. I think on mine there is just one wire at the switching valve, try and follow that wire, I know that will probably be impossible but maybe by getting the color of that wire you can then check the colors of the wires going to any unmarked switches in the dash. Does the second tank look factory?

Whoa!!

That'll plug in play with my truck? What is the tach fed from? And what would I use to switch the fuel tanks?

Shoot, this is gonna get pricey. I've got a 3rd party parts network here in the UAE that can get me parts for pretty ridiculous prices... if they are in stock. I'm compiling a last-ditch order before I quite this region.

Definitely not plug and play. Should be fairly straightforward if you're a wiring novice. I'll post up more info when I get it installed in a few months.

If you find one, get the pigtails from the back of the donor.

I stand corrected, there are two wires. This is a picture of mine. The valve is not the correct part number for my year truck so I had to modify the mount for it but it should give you an idea of what you are looking for

View attachment 1874442

This is super helpful! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom