She's back! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(edited with the full story, since it's kinda funny)

After 12 years, I got my old 60 back. Bought it bone stock with 203k miles in 1998(!), and sold it in 2006 to a buddy.
Good news is, nothing's changed. Bad news is, nothing's changed, lol.

back story.

I just turned in my leased BMW and was looking for another driver besides my Tundra. It's great, but not the best thing drive in DC. Started looking at 60's (cause I'm practical) and was shocked at the prices! $25-$30k wasn't unheard of. Damn.

So, I think "Hey, maybe I can get my old truck back! I can probably put $10 or $15K into that and have a decent truck."

So, about a month ago I called up the friend I sold it to and asked if he was ready to sell her back to me. He said sure, but he hadn't driven it in 2 years bc the e brake was frozen. Hmm...OK. I go over there, pull the brake pins, and we're rolling. He then tells me it's impossible to steer. ok...

He's right. After I give him the $1500 to buyer back, I pull out and it's a mess. Won't steer at all. F me this is a problem. So, I hit a gas station to fill up and check it out. Turns out the hubs are locked (an issue if you have Detroits front and rear), and there is ZERO air in any of the tires. Well, s***.

As I'm sure any of you familiar with the SSR's know, they have very thick sidewalls. as a result, they'll keep their shape even without air in them. So, after unlocking the hubs, adding 30lbs a corner, and topping off the PS steering fluid, she steers like a dream. I checked the oil, noticed it was a low, so added a quart of marvel mystery oil, just to free things up a bit.

Drove home no problem. 70 MPH on the beltway. Loud and smelly, but fine. Drove it from Manassas, VA to Davidsonville, MD (about 60 miles). zero issues.

Funniest part is, when I sold it, it needed a new exhaust system. I had bought the parts and given them to my buddy, thinking he'd thrown them on. Nope. He handed them back to me (along with all the other parts I had given him) and shrugged. Sure enough, when I got home and parked it, it back fired once, and then the exhaust fell off.

The upshot? She's in decent shape for 350+k miles. Body and frame need work, but after that many miles, which one doesn't?

Specs (as I built her and as she still sits)

2F/4 speed with 85+ split case.
head was shaved .100
SOA with custom springs
Axles are 4.88's with Detroit lockers
37" Interco SSR's
ARB front and IPOR rear swing out carrier.

She's getting a tear down soon. I'll post progress on the rebuild.

Glad to be back!

Cheers,
Rob
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c73c.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c6f1.jpg

Last edited:
YeeHah

Babes back!

I hope you plan to keep the patina...it looks great

Definitely. I'll clean that up real good and throw some clear coat on it.
If it didn't need wheel arches and other panels, I would.

The plan is to get it running well (needs an exhaust) and then do a rolling resto. The nice this is, after 12 years, I actually have the resources to bring it back to whatever condition I like. I've been seeing the prices rise to ridiculous heights for decent trucks, and many have spent upwards of $100K to have a shop build them a truck. I don't plan to take that route, but I'll probably get Lance @IPOR involved at some point (probably after drinking too much, lol).

For my own edification, here's the plan for now:

Rust repair - Body and Frame
Frame needs major work on the inner and rear frame rails. once I cut out all the rusted section and weld in new ones, I'll coat it.
Once the frame is stable, I'll disassemble the interior and remove all exterior trim for paint.
Body work will be done by yours truly - so it'll be a 20/20 build, lol. It's actually not terrible; just the typical wheel arches and rear fender wells. If I find someone locally who can do a better job in a reasonable time frame, I'll send it out. I just don't want to wait years to get it back (again!). So, I haven't decided whether or not to paint it myself or outsource it. I need to find a decent paint shop locally. We shall see. Who know, I may just fix the rust, throw a decent primer on it, and shoot it with single stage. IDK.

Body mounts and suspension bushings should probably be replaced, too.

Bumpers will come off (although I think the rear IPOR bumper is holding the frame together) and get blasted and powder coated. I need a new rear hatch with a wiper, and to wire that up. never finished that project from 1999....

Interior removal and replacement. All new. Headliner is deplorable. Carpet was bad 12 years ago and has not improved. The nice thing is, with the rise in popularity of the series, more products have become available. I'm going to put either leather or high quality vinyl on the seats for durability (kids/dogs), and definitely slather the interior in sound deadening material. The outside needs to look decent, but the interior is where I spend my time, so it needs to be comfortable and safe.

Replace everything that's missing or broken (this is a very long list, but things like lenses and s***).

Engine
for now, I'm just going to clean the engine bay and change all the fluids. I'll do a compression test, but it seems to run fine for now. I'll check all the connections and hoses, and replace as need be. I *think* I may need an alternator, but it could be the gauges are just cocked. Fuel gauge has never been accurate, so that makes sense. I probably ought to rewire the dual batteries, as well.

I'll replace the wheels and tires. they're in fine shape with no obvious cracks, but they're 13 or 14 years old. If they check out, I make just reface the wheels and see if I can balanced them out.

Axles are in good shape, I'll just replace the fluids and brakes, check all the lines, etc.

I don't have any big wheeling adventures planned, but I want to get it safe and reliable so that I can take my son and his buddies out with confidence. other than that, I'm just glad to have the old girl back!

Cheers!

Rob

more pics as she sits...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c70a.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c70b.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c707.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c716.jpg

Why paint it? Looks perfect the way it is!

I think the patina is holding the panels together....

Love the upper radiator hose you got on there. Zip Ties for the win.

Glad you could get your ride back after over a decade. Very cool.

Lol, it's modded for snorkel.

Rad truck, I was just looking at SSRs since they offer in 35x10.5. They look great. I grew up in Manassas/Woodbridge area, don't miss it but man I do miss avoiding emissions!
Thanks! Yeah, I moved the intake horn years ago. It was a quick and dirty job, and could use some cleanup, but its serviceable. SSR's are awesome, but they're hella heavy. Aside from that, they're actually decent daily tires due to the siping. Loud, but not nearly as loud as TSL's.

I don't actually have to go through emissions (or inspection) anymore, although I did take this very truck through emissions in DC, MD, and VA with the same engine setup and it passed each time no problem.

Love the upper radiator hose you got on there. Zip Ties for the win.

Glad you could get your ride back after over a decade. Very cool.
Lol, the zip ties are there to hold the other piece that looks like a patch. it's actually to keep the hose from rubbing on the power steering reservoir. I guess the hose was too long or something? Idk, I can't remember. its there for a reason tho! I'm having to remember why I did things, and then mentally kicking myself for doing them, lol.

I failed smog on my first pass due to the visual inspection. My air intake had duct-tape holding it together - automatic failure. Had to go to cityracerllc to source a new one.

Fun fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom