New Rubber After Lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everything is ordered, Bumper, suspension, winch, new UCAs... I want to start thinking about tires. I’m going with a 285/75/16. So far here are my thoughts but let me know what you guys run or think....I am going to stay with a true AT and not a mud tire as this rig pulls double duty. It currently runs on 265/75/16 nitto terra grapplers

1) Nitto Terra Grapplers - I like them pretty well now, liked them on my 80 (in 295), and liked them on another truck I had.

2) KO2s - I kinda want to branch out and haven’t tried a BFG in many moons. These get high praise in FJ forums.

3) Duratracs - known sidewall issues, is that still the case? Don’t know if they changed their sidewall ply?

4) Falken Wildpeaks - cheapest option and people rave about them in all terrain types, slightly larger than ko2s but the difference is negligible. I would love to hear about anyone using these.

5) nitto ridge grapplers - ?? Don’t know anyone who has them. Heaviest tire on list.

The KO2s and Nittos are 32.8 and the duratracs and wildpeaks are closer to 33.2. Not a massive difference. Ill be running 5 tire rotation.

I’m leaning towards KO2 or wildpeaks.

Please share your thoughts on those options. Thanks guys!

Just bought a set of the BFG KO2s (265/70/r17) yesterday, will be mounting them on Saturday. I'll let you know what I think of them.

BFGs...loved all 6 sets I’ve had.

Hated my Duratracs. Pretty Meh on my current Toyos.

Wife has been driving 265 wildpeaks on her gx470 to and from work (she’s a nurse) in this recent snow. We got about 12”. She never reported any issues. I’ve been rolling on 285 BFG ko2s in the same snow and they’ve been great, too.

Either one will be fine... wildpeaks are cheaper so, personally, I’d go that route.

If it’s of any interest, I have a pretty good set of Nitto Terra Grapplers mounted on stock Taco wheels that I had powder coated black. I had them on my Taco for about 20k miles, before I put Trail Grapplers and SR8 wheels on. They are the exact size 285’s you want. Won’t be an exciting change for you, but the tires are in good shape, ready to go and a lot of miles left on them. Let me know if you are interested. I was planning to post them for sale soon anyway.

If it’s of any interest, I have a pretty good set of Nitto Terra Grapplers mounted on stock Taco wheels that I had powder coated black. I had them on my Taco for about 20k miles, before I put Trail Grapplers and SR8 wheels on. They are the exact size 285’s you want. Won’t be an exciting change for you, but the tires are in good shape, ready to go and a lot of miles left on them. Let me know if you are interested. I was planning to post them for sale soon anyway.

Appreciate it but I think I’m gonna try something different. I like them, but I’ve had 3 sets in total and want a something different. I’m 99% sure I’m going with the wildpeaks. I really appreciate the offer though. I will be selling my 265 (16 inch rim) terra grapplers soon too. They have a some life left, but they have more than 20 on them I’d bet. Thanks again!

I am now flirting with 295/75/16s. Probably won’t do it but flirting. That’s the last stop before regearing. I would probably need a slight BMC. What is the general opinion from you guys on D load rated tires as compared to E. The only options I’m interested in at a 295 are the terra grapplers (d) and KO2s (e). I know the Es are much stiffer. All the 285s for my wheels are E. So really, the only D option is the 295 grappler. I’m still wanting to try the wildpeaks though.

Think about if fast availability of replacements while roaming is a factor for you. 295's are probably not as common as 285's in the tire shops, and fewer manufacturers even make that size. That was as much reason for my move from 295 to 315 as anything else. Well, it was definitely part of it.

Also, does a 295 fit wherever FJC's hold their spare tire, or do you have a swing out?

Go big or go home! *looks at self* ...guess I’m going home.

Tires Ordered... 5 new Falken Widpeak A/T3w's in 285/75/16. I will most likely have 4 - 265 nitro terra grapplers available for a good price at tech day if anyone is interested and running a 16" rim. They seem to have plenty of life left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom