8x Series V8 Swaps (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question for all the 2UZ folks out there that have put them in an 80 series. I don't want to start the debate about why one would chose the 2uz, I am already down that path....

First, about my project. I am putting a 2uz, 100 series tranny into an 80 series frame with a fj45 sitting on it. Here is thread.

Do I have your attention.... I call it VERA.

I am at the point to fabricate the motor mounts.

Looking for any information about where to mount the engine left, right or center between the frame rails. Anyone know of a Slee'd 2uz 80 or anyone with access to looking at one? I plan to use the stock 80 series steering box and currently, the engine is centered and does not appear to be in the way for the steering.

Currently front to back I have followed @Tank5 's plan to use the stock 80 transmission mounting point. It appears to just have enough room for a radiator, but with A/C and p/s cooler needs, I might have to move it back an inch or two.

My one bit of knowledge I can add is that motor with cats on stock headers will not fit between 80 frame rail, not enough room, so I cut them just at Cat, and will likely put high flow cats back later.

442ba5d5-7f69-4116-839e-f60f0831de74-jpeg.1868447
4f119f84-9ae1-4883-acf2-88cc9d994084-jpeg.1872313
81aa42c0-ff5b-4aa7-9c52-fcaf7d7b57d9-jpeg.1872321

Question for all the 2UZ folks out there that have put them in an 80 series. I don't want to start the debate about why one would chose the 2uz, I am already down that path....

First, about my project. I am putting a 2uz, 100 series tranny into an 80 series frame with a fj45 sitting on it. Here is thread.

Do I have your attention.... I call it VERA.

I am at the point to fabricate the motor mounts.

Looking for any information about where to mount the engine left, right or center between the frame rails. Anyone know of a Slee'd 2uz 80 or anyone with access to looking at one? I plan to use the stock 80 series steering box and currently, the engine is centered and does not appear to be in the way for the steering.

Currently front to back I have followed @Tank5 's plan to use the stock 80 transmission mounting point. It appears to just have enough room for a radiator, but with A/C and p/s cooler needs, I might have to move it back an inch or two.

My one bit of knowledge I can add is that motor with cats on stock headers will not fit between 80 frame rail, not enough room, so I cut them just at Cat, and will likely put high flow cats back later.

442ba5d5-7f69-4116-839e-f60f0831de74-jpeg.1868447
4f119f84-9ae1-4883-acf2-88cc9d994084-jpeg.1872313
81aa42c0-ff5b-4aa7-9c52-fcaf7d7b57d9-jpeg.1872321

My plan for mounting the engine was to use the stock transmission mounting position and then I set the engine equally between the frame rails. With this position the steering linkage cleared the headers after I modified them but you may not have to do that since your manifolds have a smaller profile.

For radiator clearance I planned to use the 40 series stock radiator mounts on the fitted front crossmember. I was going to use a stock radiator support to mount a Ron Davis radiator that also had provisions for the Auto trans lines. I mocked it up with a fan and felt there was plenty of room for it. The Ron Davis radiator was good for a ls Chevy engine he said it should cool the 2uz just fine.

I still have the radiator new in the box if you are interested.

for those that put in a 6.0l, i'm doing a lq9, did you have to relocate the ac compressor? just wondering because spear tech specifically asked and i don't have the engine yet to determine it and if it doesn't then i can get them to start the wire harness right away.
me either

me either
for those that put in a 6.0l, i'm doing a lq9, did you have to relocate the ac compressor? just wondering because spear tech specifically asked and i don't have the engine yet to determine it and if it doesn't then i can get them to start the wire harness right away.
I am running a 2013 5.3L with truck accessories, just like an LQ4, and stock a/c clears frame fine. I shifted engine slightly
IMG_4381.JPG
to the pass side to put equal clearance between the p/s pump and a/c comp and frame

I did the lq9 and did not.

one more thing guys, the reluctor ring on the 4l65e doesn't need to be there right? i have a guy building up a 2wd one to use with the mark's adapter kit and he asked me if i need it.

one more thing guys, the reluctor ring on the 4l65e doesn't need to be there right? i have a guy building up a 2wd one to use with the mark's adapter kit and he asked me if i need it.

You definitely need it.

You will need the reluctor and output speed sensor in the trans. The 4wd trans don't normally have them, the have a plug in the hole but no sensor. The output speed sensor on a gm trans is in the tcase. The 2 wd trans have the reluctor and speed sensor. Only problem with not having the speed sensor on the output of the tcase is the ecm won't be reading actual speed when in lo range, hence the reason gm puts them in the tcase. From my personal expirience with the 4l65 and now 4l80 in my Jeep with an Atlas tcase this is not an issue. It shifts fine in low range and no drive ability issues. Gm computer controlled trans requires 2 speed sensors to work properly. both are the same and have the same plug.
As a funny side note , I just had the 4L80E rebuilt for my Jeep and asked the trans shop to please install the output speed sensor reluctor and sensor because the trans i gave him to rebuild was from a 4wd and still would be in a 4wd but with an aftermarket Advance Adaptors Atlas Tcase with no provision for a speed sensor. I got it back and installed it,plugged in the sensors and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't shift.
Come to find out the shop installed the sensor but not the reluctor. They made good on it and took the trans out and tore it down to install

thanks squad for that, i think i was reading on advanced adapter's website and they mentioned the 4wd reluctor ring and somehow confused it with needing it on the 2wd. tell you what guys it seems like i think i have covered all the bases and then something else pops up!

I own a 97 FJZ 80 and want to install a LT-1 v8 what should I know about smog limitations here in the san francisco bay area CALIFORNIA ?

I own a 97 FJZ 80 and want to install a LT-1 v8 what should I know about smog limitations here in the san francisco bay area CALIFORNIA ?

Based on my last reading of the law here I would not entertain doing an OBD2 donor to an OBD2 vehicle. If car that is getting swap is OBD2, then all OBD2 equipment from donor vehicle must be used. This includes fuel tank, body control module, evap system, etc..

There appears to be more leeway when doing an OBD2 dystem into an OBD1 vehicle.

Take a look at Appendix E of the 2018 Smog Check Reference Guide.

Based on my last reading of the law here I would not entertain doing an OBD2 donor to an OBD2 vehicle. If car that is getting swap is OBD2, then all OBD2 equipment from donor vehicle must be used. This includes fuel tank, body control module, evap system, etc..

There appears to be more leeway when doing an OBD2 dystem into an OBD1 vehicle.

Take a look at Appendix E of the 2018 Smog Check Reference Guide.

For the V8 swap you are contemplating, you essentially need to swap everything from the donor vehicle into your Cruiser to even attempt a CA legal swap. Everything means everything; fuel lines, fuel tank, any emissions equip on the donor needs to be on your Cruiser for a chance with a referee.

Not easy to do in CA but it’s is possible.

It will be very difficult to get it to pass california smog. Better to install a carb approved E-rod engine from chevy. LT1 is a old engine anyway and their is much more support for LS conversions.

It will be very difficult to get it to pass california smog. Better to install a carb approved E-rod engine from chevy. LT1 is a old engine anyway and their is much more support for LS conversions.

Yes, a better, easier option !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom