100 series gets a HAM radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I really don't know as much about the amateur radio as I would like, and would certainly like to up my game this year. Me and some friends are going out west this and two of us are talking about installing dual band units in our rigs. Every time we go out to Utah we get in situations where the handhelds simply don't cut it. I do have my ticket and currently have a 2m setup in my 80 series but will probably be taking the 100 series this year. So I would like to come up with a nice setup including radio and antenna. Some parameters …..

I would like something with remote faceplate for my 100 due to mounting options.

I would like something with APRS so we have a GPS function that we can be tracked in case things don't go so well. Also, I believe you can send out text on it.

I would like a hatch mount antenna. I'm simply not interested in putting an NMO in the roof or having anything riding around on my hood.

I will probably keep the cost of the radio around $400 or under.

The information on D-STAR, DMR, and Fusion is all very confusing so I'm not sure which of these I would be most interested in.

Edit: currently on the list Yaesu FTM-100 and FTM-400DR
Icom 4100 and 5100

Open for ideas, opinions, and suggestions.

Last edited:
D Star and the Fusion are proprietary digital comm modes for Icom and Yaesu, respectively.

I'll throw in another vote for the Kenwood unit. I have the TM-V71A dual band unit and I'm very happy with it.
I've used the Diamond hatch mounts on both my 80s along with several different makes and models of antennae, all NMO for fast changes.
Diamond® Antenna ~ K400SNMO Trunk/Hatchback Mount. You'll need a length of RG316 with SMA connectors to make it from the hatch to the dash, if that's where you want to mount the head unit.

In the picture is my Comet SBB-1NMO flexible stubby dual band antenna which is great for the woods when the trees are an issue.
I also have a Diamond NR770HBNMO dual band for when trees are not an issue. That one really gets out well.

Diamond K400SNMO.jpg

Thats a "Yuge" topic to address, but I wanted to give you some pointers. Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood are all very good brands by the way. APRS is very good, when it works. Not every repeater will work with it, so don't expect it to be foolproof. Of the digital modes you listed, I prefer DSTAR (and I use all of them) as the simplest to use and has some key advantages. DPRS is the digital version of APRS for those digital modes. The area that you are planning to travel too may have more or less of a certain type of repeaters, so I recommend you use Repeaterbook.com to find what is most prevalent and add those repeaters to your list. If the radio has a GPS in it, it may be able to find a nearby repeater by GPS coordinates.
  • NMO are great mounts, you can get a fender bracket mount for the front, or a hatch mount. I have one on the roofrack, works great too.
  • Get both a 2m and 70cm radio if you can
  • Look for used ones, many people buy and sell radios in great condition. Geeks like me like to try new stuff then sell it.
  • Icom ic-5100a is right at your top price (less for used) and is a fantastic radio with a big magnetic faceplate, easy to read, touch screen, GPS built-in, 2m and 70cm, plus D-star. Monochromatic display, but heck of a radio for the field.
  • With DSTAR, you could reach a nearby repeater that is not monitored, link it to a busy reflector, and call for help if needed. That is, to me, one of the biggest advantages of digital radio. You could even have a listening device at home plugged into a computer, link that to a reflector, and then call home via that from 1000 miles away.
  • If you really need to make sure home base can track and communicate, satellite is the way to go. I use Garmin inReach Explorer+ for that.
One last thing, this BOOK has a very good communications section, even though it was written for the Southeast. I know the author, cantankerous old geezer.

This is what I use for roof rack mount

So I really don't know as much about the amateur radio as I would like, and would certainly like to up my game this year. Me and some friends are going out west this and two of us are talking about installing dual band units in our rigs. Every time we go out to Utah we get in situations where the handhelds simply don't cut it. I do have my ticket and currently have a 2m setup in my 80 series but will probably be taking the 100 series this year. So I would like to come up with a nice setup including radio and antenna. Some parameters …..

I would like something with remote faceplate for my 100 due to mounting options.

I would like something with APRS so we have a GPS function that we can be tracked in case things don't go so well. Also, I believe you can send out text on it.

I would like a hatch mount antenna. I'm simply not interested in putting an NMO in the roof or having anything riding around on my hood.

I will probably keep the cost of the radio around $400 or under.

The information on D-STAR, DMR, and Fusion is all very confusing so I'm not sure which of these I would be most interested in.

Edit: currently on the list Yaesu FTM-100 and FTM-400DR
Icom 4100 and 5100

Open for ideas, opinions, and suggestions.
This is what I have. Works well. The small TNC is a Mobilink TNC2

upload_2019-1-6_19-3-35.png

This is what I have. Works well. The small TNC is a Mobilink TNC2

View attachment 1872282

Hey that's a pretty slick way to post your setup, I like the visual. So the little thing at the 12 o'clock position links the radio to your tablet for something?

Hey that's a pretty slick way to post your setup, I like the visual. So the little thing at the 12 o'clock position links the radio to your tablet for something?
Yes it is a TNC (Terminal node controller) it is made by Mobilink and costs about $70 + a $10 cable to the Radio. The system uses the GPS in the android tablet and Aprsdroid software which is free. I just Velcro the TNC to the Radio and it has a built in Bluetooth to the tablet. It works slick! The nice thing it has is that it plots your position on the map and anyone else that is in range that is beaconing APRS.

Yes it is a TNC (Terminal node controller) it is made by Mobilink and costs about $70 + a $10 cable to the Radio. The system uses the GPS in the android tablet and Aprsdroid software which is free. I just Velcro the TNC to the Radio and it has a built in Bluetooth to the tablet. It works slick! The nice thing it has is that it plots your position on the map and anyone else that is in range that is beaconing APRS.

I need to find some sort of illustrated kids book HAM guide to get me up to speed :(

Boy Scouts! They got the best info explained without the buzzwords, they get a merit badge and test out. I have used their info many times.
Radio Merit Badge

Yaesu FTR-400DXR won the toss up, it's on its way from HAM radio outlet. Stopped by Associated Radio in Overland Park today and picked up antenna's and a mount. Will probably need to come up with a speaker and some good mounting locations, then just wait for the transceiver to show up.

I'm pretty sure you mean FTM-400XDR. That looks like a nice unit. Very large front panel.

Bingo something 400 something else ! Its roughly the same footprint as my iPhone 8 and has a lot of features that I know little or nothing about. But I'm looking forward to shoring up my weak game this year.

What kind of cable connect the TNC to the Radio??

Man, you folks are so smart and experienced it makes my eyes water. Thanks for posting and for being an Elmer to us all.

Bingo something 400 something else ! Its roughly the same footprint as my iPhone 8 and has a lot of features that I know little or nothing about. But I'm looking forward to shoring up my weak game this year.
I am looking forward to seeing how and where you mount it. I have been using a handheld just for local trail coms.

Reactions: JAW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom