Have LX thinking of swapping for an LC. Am I taking crazy pills? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've had our 06 LX for a little over two years, its been relatively good to us, only really wear and tear items that hadn't been replace needed tending to. Initially shopping for a 100 I wanted an LC but had a hard time finding one close enough, and most seemed more expensive than the LX counter parts. I was originally drawn to the LX for the nicer interior bits, AHC and other "luxury" type amenities, this being said, Ive never been a luxury brand fan, they've always just felt too old manish to me. The one we ended up with was sand dollar pearl, which I was okay with since that color seemed to be on the rarer side. I LOATHE the cream interior, never owned one, and its a constant struggle for me, and another con that seems to be common is the front end, not a huge fan of that either. Lastly we have a big Yakima box that doesnt fit all the way because of the spoiler and the way the roof rack is far back.

So far Ive liked the AHC and its given us no problems, good ride, can easily lower to get into garages etc. This will be our main family hauler/ grocery getter, not a strict overlander. Enough bashing on the LX, its good truck for what it is, but with mileage increasing the AHC is becoming more of a concern for me, and just the plain fact I like the looks and bare boneness of the LC. Not to mention the simple fact of that is IS an LC, trying to explain that the LX is is a land cruiser is painful enough. I wanted to get a model with the vvti, Im sure we'd be okay without. Ive come across an 03 which seems to be in good shape, albeit 20K more miles. We're currently at 180, this truck is at 200. With that we could get it for close to half what we still owe on the LX. That alone is good enough for me. Im looking for any thoughts and opinions on this. Am I taking crazy pills??!!

Matt.

If both of you aren’t happy and are okay with it then go for it. In the end it’s your decision. This was something i struggled with LC vs LX. I went with LC because it had no AHC or NAV. There were more LX then LC to choose from but I wanted an LC.

Good luck with either choice.

No sense in driving something that you loathe a part of. It’s a little bit of trading in the known for the unknown (maintenance, baslining, etc.), but my armchair vote is to drive the one you want. No need to compromise.

As a long term cruiser driver, I also struggled with the Lexus badging of the Land Cruiser.

There are options other than trading vehicles that are arguably more interesting. For example, there is the Cygnus grille that has the Toyota sombrero instead of the big L. Here is a thread on the topic. There are others. Rebadging an LX as a "Land Cruiser" ...

At ont point I was considering swapping out the valence, hood, grille, lights, etc to get the LC look. I am over it now. It is a Land Cruiser with or without the badging. On way to think about it: there was only one trim package for the cruiser -- base. If it helps, you could think of the LX as a Land Cruiser Limited.

I do plan to eventually swap out the L on the grille for a Teq symbol from BH3D and get land cruiser name plates, but it is a lower priority to me compared to other mods. To each his own tho.

IMHO the 4 headlights front of the LX and the AHC are much better.

Don't look at that "L" on the grill and steering wheel, but always look to the Toyota branding on your drivers window when you step in and front window when you drive it.

Wurst case change the grill to a custom one without the "L", but for something better then the "coffee-bean" logo

Stop taking those pills !

:cheers:

Pro: I personally like the quad headlight setup of the LX.

Con: There are a lot more electronics and things to break in the Lexus...

Pro: I personally like the quad headlight setup of the LX.

Con: There are a lot more electronics and things to break in the Lexus...

more electronics? list please.

The things I've dealt with so far (not strictly electronics)—

VGRS/steering. The steering racks are significantly more expensive than the LC racks. (IIRC, VGRS can be removed).
Side mirrors. Folding, auto-dimming, heating, etc.—these are also expensive.

Beyond that, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

forgot about the VGRS steering. you can pry my heating folding mirrors from my cold dead LX :)

embrace the sleeper cruiser...

its just a land cruiser in a tuxedo

don't lose sleep over a name plate

might as well trade up to a 200 LC, trading for another 100 seems like some serious insecurities over the name plate.

forgot about the VGRS steering. you can pry my heating folding mirrors from my cold dead LX :)

Right there with you, especially now that I've had to replace one :bang:

more electronics? list please.

The options the LX has that the Land Cruiser does not.

Engine in the 06 came with VVT-I
Memory Seats, mirrors, and steering wheel
Side airbags
AHC
TPMS
11 speakers (if mark Levinson) instead of 7
Multi disc changer
Speed sensitive volume

pretty sure an 06-07 has AHC and TPMS. does the 06-07 LC not have memory seats and a multi disc changer? Also, my LX doesn't have speed sensitive volume...

Does it make sense? No. If you want to do it and it fits in your budget (as you want it to), should you do it? I say yes.

Life is short and you aren't going to take it with you. If this is something you really want and you believe it makes fiscal sense to do, then do it. I would say that the experience of being in the LC likely won't feel the way you are imagining it in your head right now though.

Last edited:
Reading this again, the OP has other arguments than LX vs LC. Your 05 LX has more gizmos than my 00 LX. Other than AHC I dont think there are any non cosmetic differences between the LC and LX badged cruisers. Some say Lexus has higher quality control and/or gets first pick of parts, but I don't know if that is true.

If the arguments are for a simpler rig with the benefit of a better cash position, that has more merit than the badging. There is a psychological boost with the badge, which shouldn't be discounted, but if you are looking to be purely rational, I think there is sound reason too. On at least a weekly basis I miss the simplicity of my old 60s (back when 60s were relatively inexpensive) but I have to admit I've grown accustomed to and very thankful for the 100 with all its trappings -- so long as they work.

If you've been on these forums long enough, you know that AHC will lead to higher maintenance cost than a non-AHC rig and/or eventual replacement. I've driven the '06 - '07 vvti and felt no difference to my '03 non-vvti. Another benefit of the '03 is the non-vvti motors seem to be non-interference while the vvti are interference (according to member experience on this forum). The only thing you'd be giving up is the rear view cam, but you gain a tranny dipstick so all even :)

The big question on the trade is what will the '03 need in upcoming maintenance at 200K miles? And are you underwater on your '06?

I don't think I'm upside down on the LX, I could maybe make some money on it. I'm still weighing my options, once I see the other truck in person I'll be able to make a better decision. Like I said, I haven't had any issues with the AHC yet, A flush was on my to do list, fluid is suppose to be more on the clear side correct?

I don't think I'm upside down on the LX, I could maybe make some money on it. I'm still weighing my options, once I see the other truck in person I'll be able to make a better decision. Like I said, I haven't had any issues with the AHC yet, A flush was on my to do list, fluid is suppose to be more on the clear side correct?

I'm guessing that you can pick up the '03 for less than $10K which you said was less than half of what you owe on the LX. If that's true, you owe somewhere around $20K for the '06? Might be a bit tough to find a buyer willing to pay that for an '06 with 180K miles. So the trade may not be as attractive as you first thought?

If you've been on these forums long enough, you know that AHC will lead to higher maintenance cost than a non-AHC rig and/or eventual replacement. I've driven the '06 - '07 vvti and felt no difference to my '03 non-vvti. Another benefit of the '03 is the non-vvti motors seem to be non-interference while the vvti are interference (according to member experience on this forum). The only thing you'd be giving up is the rear view cam, but you gain a tranny dipstick so all even :)

The big question on the trade is what will the '03 need in upcoming maintenance at 200K miles? And are you underwater on your '06?

My dad has a 2003 and I have a 2007, and I have to say that during normal driving there isn't much of a different between non vvti and vvti. I've driven both in the mountains and there is definitely more power going uphills with vvti, and towing with vvti is much better. That's just my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom