3FE Owners Check-In (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This thread was a help to me
91 3FE Kick Down Cable?

There were two cables on mine, back side of the throttle body. If adjusting from the drivers side fender view, I believe it was the cable to the right. There are two nuts to loosen, one on each side of the mount. I moved it slightly Towards the passenger side, merely two or three threads worth, which fixed what felt like a bit of slippage between in tyranny shifts - and just better overall shifting. You want to make very slight adjustments on this to take a bit of the slack out - overtightening will lead to transmission problems.

I’ll try and take a pic today

Here’s a pic. Lockdown cable on the right with an orange cap

33D9E932-3087-463C-B7CF-F424BE574F9F.jpeg

91 FJ80

Just got it at 265,000 miles.
Replaced radiator
Bunch of leaks, had it fixed professionally.
Seems to be working fine right now.
Need to replace the cracked dashboard,
Fix power windows and locks.
Thinking of swaping the engine, trying to save some money for now.

This week my '92 randomly resurrected the repeating four-note alert that sounds when you turn the motor off. It has not made that sound in at least 13 years. But, as of four or five days ago, it's back - and consistently so, sounding each time.

Weird, and rad. Do others' still work?

Last edited:
I've had my 91 for a year and never heard it.

This week my '92 randomly resurrected the repeating four-note alert that sounds when you turn the motor off. It has not made that sound in at least 13 years. But, as of four or five days ago, it's back - and consistently so, sounding each time.

Weird, and rad. Do others' still work?

Mine does this everytime I leave the sunroof open

Yep only time I hear anything after shutting it off is from leaving the sunroof open. Took me forever to figure out why it didn’t do it all the time.

Yep only time I hear anything after shutting it off is from leaving the sunroof open. Took me forever to figure out why it didn’t do it all the time.

I wonder if that four-note alarm is an open door / sunroof alarm. I noticed that my open door light has been on (a sticky sensor on the rear driver's door).

I wonder if that four-note alarm is an open door / sunroof alarm. I noticed that my open door light has been on (a sticky sensor on the rear driver's door).

I believe they are two different sounds. One is for your keys in the ignition and the door is open. The other is the sunroof is open and you shut off your truck. Turns out my sunroof tone isn’t working at the moment.

I believe they are two different sounds. One is for your keys in the ignition and the door is open. The other is the sunroof is open and you shut off your truck. Turns out my sunroof tone isn’t working at the moment.

Weird. I get the four-note alarm, but my sunroof is closed.

Edit: You guys were right: My sunroof was open, barely cracked. Closed now, and no more alert.

Last edited:
3FE folks...looking to replace the high pressure power steering line, do i need to yank the radiator for this? I was hoping it can come out on the bottom? TIA

DSC_0004.JPG
Maybe this is a dead thread, but I'm extremely happy to have just brought the new rig home. A two-tone tan/brown 92 with 130k original miles, garage kept (i.e. zero rust anywhere), and pretty much "the one". This is replacing replacing my 83 fj60 (ol rusty beast), and will now be getting it ready for life in Wyoming (80 miles of dirt several times a week, long mountain passes, terrible back roads through snow, mud, and rocks, etc...).
my-drive

Lots of decisions for the build up, but OME stock height vs OME 2.5" to fit ~33"s (recommended tire size?), some sort of roof rack so we can fit the kiddos. Most importantly do I keep 4 speed auto with the pig of a 3F or swap in a V8 from my Tundra (Is a manual swap worth it)? It did get 14mpg on the 200 miles home without having adjusted anything yet. Snorkel for sure as the long Wyoming roads are dusty dusty dusty. Swap out the rear for a full free float (is it really worth it for a driver and not a crawler)? Is the center diff enough for most trouble spots or is an ARB locker worthwhile? I rarely use my TRD locker on the Tacoma even on severe roads, but it has saved me in a few spots.

Any real world experience appreciated and yes, I've read days and days of posts on the 80s and have extensive Toyota experience and driving on many thousands of miles of back roads and two tracks (several 1980s pickups, '85 4runner, '02 Tundra, '11 Rav4, '83 fj60, and currently a '04 Tacoma built for overland in Wyoming, so I'll keep searching for info, but real world experience from you guys is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom